The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Thanks, and a fond farewell to the Forum (long)

PART I

To all the friends I've made here over the past year and a half (has it really only been a year and a half?…seems like a lot longer!),

I thought, that rather than take an unannounced six month leave of absence—like our friend Rick "Van Winkle" Crider —I would let everyone know why you won't see me posting for a long while…

The immediate reason is that I simply won't have time. In a few days, I'll start the school year with a full load of Honors classes—and while this schedule is flattering, it is also an incredible amount of work.

At the same time, I will be working hard at furthering my pursuits as a solo fingerstyle guitarist. I'm still dealing with trying to get Castlerea re-released on a well-known guitar label, and I need to write and polish tunes for a follow-up. I also need to work on scheduling performances, especially for next summer, when I am hoping to string together enough gigs up and down the East Coast that I can embark on week-long "mini-tours." So, if any of you folks want to host a house concert…

But most importantly, my wife and I are expecting our third child any day now. Our due date is September 23rd, but our doctor has been hinting that we may want to be prepared for it to happen at any point. This is very exciting for both of us, but also a little nerve-racking. Many of you know that our twins, Owen and Erin (now 4.5 years old!) were born at 31 weeks and spent the first month of their lives in the NICU, and then came home on monitors, etc. In many ways, Marilouise and I have not really had the full birth experience…we are looking forward to being able to hold the baby as soon as it’s born, and to being able to bring it home in days instead of weeks.

As you can see, I’m going to be a busy boy.

In more ways than I like to admit, Rick’s sabbatical has caused me to examine my own life, and I feel that I could benefit from re-dedicating myself to my teaching, my music, and especially my family. It’s not that things haven’t been going well—they have (and I realize how lucky I am!)—but I know that with a little more commitment from me, things will be even better on all three fronts.

(continued…)

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 08-21-2003, 10:00 PM

PART II

Time isn’t the only reason, however. After acquiring my Avalon, I was asked to be an “Avalon artist,” which wasn’t really a surprise—only because it was the president of Avalon Guitars who was responsible for my status as a “Lowden artist.” (This was before Avalon and Lowden decided to part ways—and it’s the Avalon folks who actually built both of my Lowdens.) George Lowden has told me he’d be interested in retaining me as a Lowden artist as well. Obviously, being recognized this way feels wonderful, and I’m proud to be associated with both of them.

Of course, I spend most of my time online right here…on the Taylor Forum. And why not? It’s a great place to be! But, as I will become increasingly more involved—especially with Avalon—it will feel odd to continue being active on the TGF. Perhaps the fact that I no longer own a Taylor has something to do with that, too.

However, one day I will order that 714c with a blank 1 7/8” neck, and make a triumphant return to the land of Taylor. I promise!

In the meantime, I will go into lurker mode, and check in every once in a while to see what’s going on.

I wish I could thank each one of you individually for all of the information, ideas, and inspiration—not to mention your support of my music. Almost a third of the CDs I’ve sold have been to forum members…and because of the Forum, I’ve sold CDs in 36 states—which is neat, because I’ve only been to 17 states in my lifetime, and a lot of them I was just passing through. I was going to offer CDs really cheap to the first order from a forum member from each of the remaining states, but I’m not sure there are members there …

(continued…)

www.jimtozier.com

Last edited by Jim Tozier; 08-21-2003 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 PM

PART III

I will give a special thanks to the handful of TGF members who I’ve met and become friends with—especially the fearsome foursome of CaptBill, TimB, Cakes, and jmeinel. Since you are “local,” you’ll still have to put up with me, though!

Thanks to Doc Jacobs, jam, and stratokatsu for taking on the challenge of reviewing the advance copies of Castlerea. If you’re reading this, and haven’t read their reviews, do yourself a favor and check them out (on the Reviews page of my website). I’m still amazed at how much effort they put into them!

Thanks to meridian, TaylorSmitten, wjpjr, Doc Jacobs, CaptBill, TimB, Gutch, bradleydr20, Godzilla—and I’m sure I’m forgetting others—for buying extra copies of the CD to share with friends.

Thanks to the folks who either bought guitars from me, or sold them to me: getgo, fitness1, Ian Anderson, Cisco, Taylor Poor, Tod Meinke, Gutch, Godzilla, proy, jam, abear1954—and again, there are probably more. (Yikes! Gotta learn to control that G.A.S.!)

Thanks to cotten and mapletrees for being my favorite posters to read.

Thanks to JW, meridian, rsimper, NoFlatPick, SteveS, and everyone else with thousands and thousands of posts, for making sure there was always something to read.

Thanks to all the TGFers I haven’t mentioned already—just because you don’t fit in one of the previous categories (or if I just plain forgot to include you) doesn’t mean you aren’t special.

Thanks to Uncle Bob, and the rest of the folks at Taylor, for making such great guitars, and for taking the time to hang out with us. You have constantly been a class act, and one who has gone above and beyond expectations over and over again …

Thanks to the moderators—Gutch, TaylorSmitten, Bob Womack, stevemc, and trpullen—for helping to make this such a wonderful place to be.

And finally, a simple and sincere thanks to J.R. Rogers for inviting me into his living room.

Wow … if you’ve read this much, you’re either a true friend, or your just reading to see if your name is going to pop up. If it’s the latter…nope. I’m done—you can move on.

If it’s the former, please stay in touch. I made my e-mail address--[email protected]--really simple, so there’s no excuse!

I have most of your e-mail addresses, and you can bet I’ll let you know when that second CD is coming out.

I think I actually ran out of things to say.

Bye.

Be good.

Be nice.

www.jimtozier.com

Last edited by Jim Tozier; 08-21-2003 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:08 PM

We will miss you. Good luck your new pursuits (both natal and musical, both physical and spiritual). We'll keep an eye out for you, and be looking forward to you next release God Bless.
Taylor 110 GB
Ovation Patriot
Old 08-21-2003, 10:12 PM

Hey Jim,

Good luck and best wishes. It does sound like you'll have your hands full. Special congratulations on number 3. Looking forward to getting an eventual update on your life, when time permits.

Best regards,
Old 08-21-2003, 10:26 PM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Hey Jim
It's an awesome future you're creating. I'm happy for you and your family. Take care to always remember what truly makes you happy and to pursue that.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:32 PM

Nothing you said seems to me to be a sufficient justification for running away from home. But we know you'll come back.

Good luck, amigo.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 PM

hey jim it was nice getting to know you and wish you good luck in your pursuits both in music and your family I have added your email address to my address book.
May God Bless you and your endeavers.

Steven

Old 08-22-2003, 12:13 AM
Guitar Honey

Hi Jim,

I've enjoyed your posts, and also greatly enjoyed hearing your friend, Muriel Anderson, play at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, which was incredibly fabulous and which I will post more about (with pics) this weekend.

I tried to take a leave of absence once from the TGF, and lasted for awhile, but am back now with more of a balance. However, you definitely have your hands full (literally), and I wish you all the best in your endeavors and life.

Also, I read your response on another thread about playing for the Lord, and I have to say it has its blessings, which far exceed the sale of albums. However my first recording made many years ago sold over 8,000 copies the first summer. Ever since then, folks have been waiting for a real album, which I hope to complete this winter.

Please keep us posted on all of your projects, perfomances, and births!!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:11 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Good luck my friend. In everything you do prosperity is sure to follow. You're that talented. Ciao....
Old 08-22-2003, 02:37 AM

Jim, best of blessings to you and the wife for the new baby that's coming soon and all the rest of your opportunities (school and music).....it was nice to meet you at Melodee that night, and thanks for getting the Steve B. CD to Tim.....
Old 08-22-2003, 03:52 AM

Jim, never had a chance to really get to know u. But I hope you have a good life with all the people close to your heart. And maybe when you next come back, we can do some bonding... By the way, why the close rapport with Lowden and Avalon?
Old 08-22-2003, 05:29 AM

Good news for you....... Really hope the birth goes smoothly and things continue to go well for you. I've got some honors classes myself, and you will definitely have to be on your toes.

Re: the forum..... Say it ain't so, Jim (a stolen line if I ever heard one).

Wishing you continued success, and I will keep in touch.

As next summer approaches, let me know your plans. There might be a venue or two here for your playing.

Doc Jacobs
Old 08-22-2003, 05:56 AM

Jim;

I have to say I envy the certainty with which you're pursuing your dream, and as everyone else here wish you and your family the best of luck. Drop in when you can to let us know how you're doing, and when you have tour dates, post those too.

All the best, and congratulations on all counts!

Lauren

--by the way, for future reference, we have a great little place here in Charlotte called the Neighborhood theatre. I've seen Arlo Guthrie, Leo Kottke and Altan there, and it'd make a great venue for you. www.neighborhoodtheatre.com

"I love technology...but not as much as you you see..."

2011 Collings CJ sunburst
Old 08-22-2003, 06:09 AM

Jim,

Good luck to you and your current and soon to be increased family. I have one question - who will fix the grammar in our posts?

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification