The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2003, 06:25 AM

Default Opinions on these Mahogany backs

I am curious about the differences in the appearance of these two pieces of solid mahogany. The one on the left is a more common looking cut. Is the difference strictly in the cut in this case, or is it the wood itself? The one on the left is very pretty & a little unusual, but if it is in the cut, is there any advantages or disadvantages in integrity?

'Mo
Old 08-21-2003, 09:41 AM

If it's being used to build a guitar, I probably wouldn't question the structural integrity of the wood. If it hasn't already come apart because of the wood, odds are it won't...

Steve
Old 08-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I always thought that straighter grained woods would produce more even tonal qualities (even vibrations). Personally, my ear is not refined enough to hear differences like that, but perhaps others can comment.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jefferson
I always thought that straighter grained woods would produce more even tonal qualities (even vibrations). Personally, my ear is not refined enough to hear differences like that, but perhaps others can comment.
I'm not sure about the tonal properties. I've seen some wildly grained Brazilian that probably sounds fantastic. It may all be in visual preference?
Old 08-21-2003, 07:37 PM

the one on the left looks like sapele to me. The school of thought is that wood is stronger when its quartersawn (along the grain). ie grain goes like this IIIIIIIIII. flat sawn is not going to be as stong. Think of it like a wood baseball bat. you hold the bat so when you hit the ball your hitting it with the grain facing out. wood is stronger along the grain then against it. as far as sound I don't think it makes a difference. Just in wood strength its better to have quarter sawn wood
Old 08-21-2003, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStugots
the one on the left looks like sapele to me. The school of thought is that wood is stronger when its quartersawn (along the grain). ie grain goes like this IIIIIIIIII. flat sawn is not going to be as stong. Think of it like a wood baseball bat. you hold the bat so when you hit the ball your hitting it with the grain facing out. wood is stronger along the grain then against it. as far as sound I don't think it makes a difference. Just in wood strength its better to have quarter sawn wood
The guitar on the left is a 510, so it is mahogany. I agree about the cutting of the wood. The one on the left sure is pretty though.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:47 PM

I don't doubt that its mahogany but it has the same look to it as sapele. Sapele is very similar to mahogany. I think its the stripe's in it
Old 08-22-2003, 12:14 AM

I think sapele has a tigher grain than mahogany. And according to Taylor, it has a brighter and "poppier" sound than mahogany. Mahogany is rather warm and brings out more of the mids than the lows of highs. The sapele is brighter. But the woods themselves have similar characteristics.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:34 PM

I agree with A FRIEND, sapele is brighter and a little more open sounding than mahogany...
Old 08-22-2003, 08:14 PM

You guys hijacked my post I really wanted to know if the mahogany cut on the right was structurally inferior to the left? I also was looking for opinions on the looks of it.

Sapele is alright, but not as nice as premium Mahogany. Would I snub my nose at a 110, 214 or 310, NO WAY! I am already schmoozing my wife for a 214. I just hope they stopped using chainsaws to carve the necks
Old 08-23-2003, 12:28 AM

Structural integrity is not a problem with flat-sawn wood in the back and sides. All quilted maple is flat-sawn, and a lot of plainer cuts of exotic woods like koa and Brazilian rosewood are, as well. At Taylorstock, Bob T suggested that a flat-sawn back might be a little warmer than a quarter-sawn back, but within the same species, I suspect that the difference would be too subtle to notice over the more obvious differences in the tops.

BTW, I don't believe the one on the right is mahogany, as I've never seen mahogany that looks like that. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on plain koa.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpmusic
Structural integrity is not a problem with flat-sawn wood in the back and sides. All quilted maple is flat-sawn, and a lot of plainer cuts of exotic woods like koa and Brazilian rosewood are, as well. At Taylorstock, Bob T suggested that a flat-sawn back might be a little warmer than a quarter-sawn back, but within the same species, I suspect that the difference would be too subtle to notice over the more obvious differences in the tops.

BTW, I don't believe the one on the right is mahogany, as I've never seen mahogany that looks like that. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on plain koa.
I was thinking along the same lines as far as flat sawn backs & sides go. Yes, the one on the right is Mahogany. It's a Tacoma DM18. I've seen a couple Mahogany Tacomas like this. Kind of unusual & visually pleasant so I was thinking about buying it. The sides match the back very nicely.

Thanks for your input cpmusic
Old 08-23-2003, 08:18 AM

The one on the left looks very similar to my 510c. Its very nice when Mahogany exhibits that kind of streaking. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-23-2003, 08:39 AM

The lighting doesn't do it justice

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 08-23-2003, 08:41 AM

error message on the pic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification