The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2003, 07:35 AM

Default GUILD D4 info please

Looking for info on a GUILD d 4 guitar. Has anyone played one? or know of any problems with these. 1997 model I think, before Fender bought guild. It is a solid top , mahagony back and sides .It has an arched back like the baby and big baby. Mint with ohsc .$$350.00 ---- I am buying from a friend who has to many guitars ( we all know that story) I sold my baby and was going to get a big baby,but this looked like a better buy .(full size with ohsc) Just looking for info on problems with this model Thanks in advance for any response . -----RC
Old 08-21-2003, 08:59 AM

First of all, a 1997 would not be pre-Fender. Fender bought Guild in November of 1995. It would be a pre-Corona though, since it took a while for Fender to decide to close down the Guild factory in Rhode Island and re-start production in Corona, California. I undertand that few if any the Guild employees moved to California when the operations moved, so a 1997 would be a Fender Guild, but would have been made by the original Guild employees rather than the new Fender employees in Corona.

Comparing a D-4 to a Big Baby is not entirely fair since D-4 is a full sized dread while the Big Baby is a bit smaller. I think that a fairer comparison of a D-4 to a Taylor would be the D-4 to the 110. $350 for a mint condition D-4 is a decent price as they tend to go for a bit more than that on Ebay.

The bottom line though is that your best bet would be to ask your friend if you can take the D-4 to the store and sit down and A/B the two instruments and make your decision as to which you like better. You would get far more instrument for the money in the D-4 as opposed to a Big Baby, but the only thing that matters is your opinion as to which you prefer.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 08-21-2003, 09:45 AM

I just bought the D4 (with the gloss finish) from a fellow forum member. In fact, it'll arrive later today. I'll let you know what I think.

I was pleased to get an American-made solid-top guitar for that price. I think the comparison to the 110 is valid--they are similar in many ways.

I have played a 110, and thought it was a good deal. Hopefully the Guild sounds nice, too. I've always liked Guilds . . .

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 08-21-2003, 05:01 PM

Here's the update.

The Guild sounds extremely nice. Very similar sound to the Taylor 110 in most aspects, although the Guild is a little more mid-rangey.

Honestly, the biggest differences between the D4 and the 110 are:

1. Neck joint construction. The Taylor neck is a modified NT; the Guild is probably glued.

2. Guild used "morado" (a type of rosewood, I think) for the fretboard, while Taylor sticks with ebony. I prefer the feel of ebony.

3. Pickguard shapes. Both are acceptable.

4. TRCs. Taylor's is cool; the TRC on the Guild is hideous. It's black (while the headstock is mahogany), it looks like it's on upside-down, and it has "True American" written in gold letters. Yuck! CaptBill will eventually get an order from me on a replacement. I'll see if I can find a good picture to share.

Overall assessment: Everything else being equal--condition, price, etc.--I think the Taylor is a little better. I chose the Guild for two reasons. First, it was used, and therefore available for less; and second, because I've always liked Guilds, and the D4 is not as common as the 110 will soon be. I've always liked having something a little different. In fact, that's one reason why I picked a Taylor over a Martin all those years ago.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 08-21-2003, 05:33 PM

Congrats on your D-4, Jim. I've always liked Guilds.

By the way, morado is not a kind of rosewood, though it is often marketed as "Bolivian rosewood" and it looks and feels much like rosewood and makes a really nice fretboard wood. It is an entirely different species though. The other common name under which it is marketed is "pao ferro" which translates as iron wood.

By the way, the sides are also solid wood. It is only the back that is laminated.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510

Electrics:
Old 08-21-2003, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
By the way, the sides are also solid wood. It is only the back that is laminated.
You are quite right. I knew that, but I forgot that the sides were laminated on the 110.

And thanks for the info on morado. Always nice to know these things. It's still not as smooth to play as ebony, though.

I just put new strings on the Guild, by the way. Now it sounds like a wet cardboard box. I have to put my ear right on the guitar to hear it. And it's getting uglier by the minute. This guitar is a real dog. Definitely buy the 110. Definitely.

I'm joking, of course--except for the part where you buy a 110, so my Guild continues to be "something a little different."

www.jimtozier.com
Old 08-21-2003, 06:50 PM

rcoolz…in all seriousness, the D4 sounds wonderful with the new strings. For this price, it's quite a bargain to get an American solid-top (and sides) guitar.

To illustrate just how good of a deal I think it is, I bought this one despite the D4 having three big "strikes" in terms of what I normally want in a guitar:

1. It's a dreadnought. I like small guitars.
2. Neck is 1 11/16". I like 1 3/4" or wider.
3. Top is spruce. I have a serious predilection for cedar.

Doesn't matter. I needed a strummer to use while teaching guitar classes, and I don't think I could have done better for the $.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 08-21-2003, 10:25 PM

Hey Thanks for all the info. Jim ,the info on the time frame of fender taking on Guild is very helpful. I did not know the dates. I have always liked Guilds also( ever since I saw Tommy Smothers play one.BOY does that date me..Yes the comparison is better to a 110 not a big baby.I keep forgetting about the 110.(SENIOR MOMENTS) Also I didnt know that the sides are solid . Thanks Jim Tozier for the assement . I play only dreads -and like 1-11/16 neck. UGLY!! truss rod cover for sure, I think Capt Bill is the answer!! With all the input so far I think this sounds like a good deal to me. I have played the guitar a couple of times and it does have a nice mahagony sound. I was concerned about Quality of this model because I had never heard of it.I knew I could find an answer here . -----RC
Old 08-22-2003, 02:32 PM

Jim,

I agree with you about preferring ebony fretboads, but pao ferro is a close second. It is less porous than the rosewoods and a bit harder (it's about 150% as hard as oak). Fender uses it on some strat and tele fretboards to great effect. Some specialized luthiers even use it for acoustic guitar sides and backs where it is more towards the maple than rosewood tone. The Latin name for it is Machaerium scleroxylon.

Rcoolz,

Guild no longer builds the D-4. Essentially they are plainer versions of the D-25 but instead of the D-25's solid mahogany back they have the laminated arched mahogany back. They were the entry level Guilds a couple of years ago.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510

Electrics:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification