The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 PM

A good old thread to bring back from the past to rehash

The Guitars:

2005 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3

@ STOLEN @ 1980 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion - Serial # 83010043
@ STOLEN @ 2002 814ce LTD - Serial # 20020930110

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

http://bobbyfromnc.blogspot.com/

John 3.16
Old 12-29-2006, 09:14 PM

I took 2 classes with Jorma Kaukonen@ Fur Peace Ranch. if you have not been there you should go at least once. It's an unreal experience.

I've chatted a bunch of times to Steve Kimock, who's a really nice guy. And I met Pat Metheny once after a show in Stanhope NJ. He was incredibly gracious to me and my family .

Also met David Crosby and Jeff Pevar after a CPR show.......God i love this band...even more so than CSN(Y).

Never got to meet Jerry Garcia though
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Musical minimalist

I'm thankful that I have met many of them.....I could post quite a list, but here are a few of the most memorable....

Michael Hedges, David Wilcox, Tony Rice, Charles Sawtelle, Doc Watson...all several times.

Also Norman Blake, Doyle Dykes, Chris Proctor and Gordon Lightfoot.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:38 PM

I have met Leo Kottke once after a show in Fort Worth. He's a really nice, mellow guy.

I hung around awhile after the Bruce Cockburn show here in Dallas in Nov. and met the drummer (Gary Craig - excellent) but sadly Bruce pulled a hermit right after the show and I didn't get to meet him. I just hope I do some day.

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 12-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Met Phil Keaggy on several occasions. Chatted with him on several occasions after shows. I got him to sign a birthday card for my friend and when I sent it to him he called screaming that Keaggy had sent him a birthday card. I don't have any pics of Keaggy and I.

I've met Dave Beegle several times and have been back stage with him on several occasions

I was able to noodle on Dave's Olson SJ which was once owned by Phil Keaggy.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 AM

Actually yes, I DID meet one of my guitar heros. It was way back in 1985 after a Heart concert & it was none other than -- Nancy Wilson! I got to shake hands with her lace glove too.

She is still one of THE best female guitarists, I've ever had the pleasure of growing up/listening to.

Last edited by booshark; 02-22-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 AM

I went to a Florida EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) monthly meeting as a guest of one of the pilots. Everybody flew in to an airfield neighborhood. If you've never seen one of these, they are quite a trip. People keep their airplanes in their garages, and taxi them on the streets to their private runway.

Anyway, Steve Morse flew his twin-engine Cherokee to the meeting, and I spent a bit of time talking to him about his time with the Dregs, his solo work, and his new (at the time) association with Deep Purple. Nice guy.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Yes...... Leo Kottke. A Day I will never forget..
me too, man, back in early 98 in madison wisconsin, i think he plays there every year. went with a friend who went to high school with kottke's son. got to go downstairs after the show and caht, though i didnt say a word, just in awe listening.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM

I've been fortunate enough to meet several of my all time musical heroes.

Pat Martino- I had just driven cross country from Maryland to Los Angeles to attend GIT. School hadn't even started yet but I was touring the building to check things out. I walked into the recording studio and there was Pat Martino! At that point in my life I was listening to his "Footprints" album almost everyday and so I was thrilled to meet him. He was super nice and was a guest teacher for the entire year I was there. I got to know him and jammed with him many times. What a monster player!

Pat Metheny- I was on tour in the midwest and Metheny was in town. I overheard someone mention what hotel he was staying at and my crazy girlfriend picked up the phone and called him and he answered! She explained we were pro musicians who loved his music and would really like to meet him. He told us to come backstage after the show! I actually met him on several other occasions as well. Also got to meet his keyboard player Lyle Mays who gave my girlfriend a piano lesson after the show. He had a keyboard backstage that made no sound and he was showing her hand stretching exercises since she was having some problems with pain in her hands.

Tommy Emmanuel- The usual after show autograph session that Tommy always does. Hard to think of a better guitar player and nicer guy than Tommy E.

Steve Morse- Met him at GIT after a lecture. Very modest and down to earth guy and very intimidating guitar player when your sitting five feet in front of him!

Robben Ford and Larry Carlton- Bumped into them by chance at a music store
in LA. Robben ended up teaching at GIT for awhile and I got to jam with him a bunch.

Tommy Tedesco- The late great legendary LA session player. I got to go along on a motion picture recording session with him. It was fascinating to watch Tommy work with a full orchestra and play along with clips from the movie on a big screen. Tommy was hilarious. He used to joke that he could play a lick in every style of music. Just don't ask him to play two!

Scott Henderson- He was a fellow student at GIT. I remember him playing bebop riffs really loud through a cranked up amp and he was awesome. He used to bring his dog to school and the dog would sleep at his feet while he jammed onstage! It was hilarious. Even at that time I thought he was amazing and so I wasn't shocked at all that he became a world class player. A few years later he invited me backstage at a Chick Corea concert. Nice guy.

Robin Bullock- Just met him a few weeks ago. One of my favorite Celtic acoustic guitar players.

Almost met Pete Townshend and David Gilmour. I was playing a Top 40 gig at a fancy Hyatt Hotel and they were staying there. I think it was a solo tour by Pete or Dave. Supposedly they briefly stuck their head in the door, got swarmed by people and left. I ended up talking and drinking with their drummer for most of the night. I can't remember the drummers name but he's the bald guy who ended up playing in The Firm with Jimmy Page. Anyway, two nights later I met Billy Martin, former mgr of the NY Yankees! I was born in NY so that was kinda cool for me. Shortly after that the guitar player from the group Alabama joined us onstage. I'm not of fan of his and he was drunk but it was worth a few laughs at least!

And finally... He's not a guitar player and I'm not really a fan except for his early days but... I once met Michael Jackson at a Three Stooges Film Festival in Hollywood! It doesn't get much stranger than that! This was right before "Thriller" and so he was famous but not to the level he would be after that album. He was with his mom and a very young Janet Jackson. I remember he had a really nice Rolls Royce with a red interior and he parked right next to me. I spoke with him for a few minutes and he was very nice. He seemed fairly normal at the time!

I wish I had met Jimi Hendrix but that'll have to wait for another lifetime!

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Photomaniac; 02-22-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM

I've met and chatted with 3 of the 4 players I admire the most...

Met Chet Atkins twice, the last time spent half hour in his office chatting about amplifiers. One of the nicest guys you could wish to meet.

Met Les Paul once when he was a solo act (i.e., after Mary Ford divorced him) in the mid 1970's, chatted after the performance. Les is always "on".

Met Johnny Smith, spent a half hour in his music store in the early morning before anyone else dropped in. Got an impromptu performance. Great guy!

Never got to meet Charlie Byrd.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaves99 View Post
I've chatted a bunch of times to Steve Kimock, who's a really nice guy.
That interesting, and good to hear. Kimock has a reputation for screaming at his audience when they have the gall to talk during his performances. I've got a recording where he literally yells "shut the f*** up and listen" to the entire room. Bizarre.

A buddy of mine and I drove from Atlanta to Philly and back in a weekend to see Dream Theater years ago. Had backstage passes and spoke to John Petrucci, who was my idol at the time. Nice guy, though he did manage to burn his hand on a coffee maker. The whole room went silent until he said he was alright. :-)

Adam
Old 02-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomaniac View Post
I've been fortunate enough to meet several of my all time musical heroes.

Pat Martino- I had just driven cross country from Maryland to Los Angeles to attend GIT. School hadn't even started yet but I was touring the building to check things out. I walked into the recording studio and there was Pat Martino! At that point in my life I was listening to his "Footprints" album almost everyday and so I was thrilled to meet him. He was super nice and was a guest teacher for the entire year I was there. I got to know him and jammed with him many times. What a monster player!

Pat Metheny- I was on tour in the midwest and Metheny was in town. I overheard someone mention what hotel he was staying at and my crazy girlfriend picked up the phone and called him and he answered! She explained we were pro musicians who loved his music and would really like to meet him. He told us to come backstage after the show! I actually met him on several other occasions as well. Also got to meet his keyboard player Lyle Mays who gave my girlfriend a piano lesson after the show. He had a keyboard backstage that made no sound and he was showing her hand stretching exercises since she was having some problems with pain in her hands.

Tommy Emmanuel- The usual after show autograph session that Tommy always does. Hard to think of a better guitar player and nicer guy than Tommy E.

Steve Morse- Met him at GIT after a lecture. Very modest and down to earth guy and very intimidating guitar player when your sitting five feet in front of him!

Robben Ford and Larry Carlton- Bumped into them by chance at a music store
in LA. Robben ended up teaching at GIT for awhile and I got to jam with him a bunch.

Tommy Tedesco- The late great legendary LA session player. I got to go along on a motion picture recording session with him. It was fascinating to watch Tommy work with a full orchestra and play along with clips from the movie on a big screen. Tommy was hilarious. He used to joke that he could play a lick in every style of music. Just don't ask him to play two!

Scott Henderson- He was a fellow student at GIT. I remember him playing bebop riffs really loud through a cranked up amp and he was awesome. He used to bring his dog to school and the dog would sleep at his feet while he jammed onstage! It was hilarious. Even at that time I thought he was amazing and so I wasn't shocked at all that he became a world class player. A few years later he invited me backstage at a Chick Corea concert. Nice guy.

Robin Bullock- Just met him a few weeks ago. One of my favorite Celtic acoustic guitar players.

Almost met Pete Townshend and David Gilmour. I was playing a Top 40 gig at a fancy Hyatt Hotel and they were staying there. I think it was a solo tour by Pete or Dave. Supposedly they briefly stuck their head in the door, got swarmed by people and left. I ended up talking and drinking with their drummer for most of the night. I can't remember the drummers name but he's the bald guy who ended up playing in The Firm with Jimmy Page. Anyway, two nights later I met Billy Martin, former mgr of the NY Yankees! I was born in NY so that was kinda cool for me. Shortly after that the guitar player from the group Alabama joined us onstage. I'm not of fan of his and he was drunk but it was worth a few laughs at least!

And finally... He's not a guitar player and I'm not really a fan except for his early days but... I once met Michael Jackson at a Three Stooges Film Festival in Hollywood! It doesn't get much stranger than that! This was right before "Thriller" and so he was famous but not to the level he would be after that album. He was with his mom and a very young Janet Jackson. I remember he had a really nice Rolls Royce with a red interior and he parked right next to me. I spoke with him for a few minutes and he was very nice. He seemed fairly normal at the time!

I wish I had met Jimi Hendrix but that'll have to wait for another lifetime!
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks Eracer. I had sort of forgotten about a lot of those encounters so it was a fun trip down memory lane! But I'd trade all those meetings for dthumb's prior post about delivering guitars to Jimi Hendrix backstage! Oh man!

On a non music note- I got to meet NFL legends Sonny Jurgenson and Johnny Unitas at Miami Airport when I was about 10 yrs old. Unitas was on the same flight as me and the stewardess offered to let me sit next to him. I was thrilled but I probably drove him nuts. The front page of the sports section had a pic of him walking dejected off the field after an interception that led to his team losing. Of course I had him autograph the sports section! In retrospect I'm lucky he didn't throw me off the plane at 30,000 ft! Fortunately he was a really nice guy even in defeat!

I also met chess legend Bobby Fischer shortly after he won the world championship in 1972. I'm a fanatic chess player since I was a little kid and actually I'm a former Washington-Baltimore JHS champion. I won the money for my first good guitar by winning a tournament, and so I was thrilled to meet Bobby and several other elite Grandmasters. Sadly Bobby went totally insane shortly after that! Hopefully I had nothing to do with it!

Overall I found it really cool that all these famous people that I met were really nice people. It would suck to meet your boyhood idol and have the guy turn out to be a complete jerk! Anybody got any horror stories?

Taylor GS Maple/Spruce
Taylor GS Mahogany/Cedar
Taylor NS44ce
Yamaha APX-5
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Tom Anderson Custom Strats (2)

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench. A long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.
There is also a negative side.
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

That would be my dad. Who was never much more than a basic strummer, and is now a banjo player.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:24 AM

i wish I'd met Michael Hedges, but he'd died before I'd evern heard of him! I met BB King when I was about 15. I met Jack Bruce around the same time. I've been lucky enough to play with Tommy Emmanuel and Nick Harper a few times each, two major heroes of mine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell