The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-05-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Ramirez 4ncwe GAS

Hi was wondering if anyone can give me some info on above guitar as I'm gassing! I have the Alhambra 9PCW E2 and reading that ramirez ship out some their guitars to Alhambra to make. Is the 4ncwe the same as the 9PCW E2? Its twice the price but looks like the rosette and head stock is the only difference. Not any around my area to try.
Really want a guitar so I can use my tonewoodamp so needs to be electric. Would actually like a full bodied that has a pre amp (i know, i know sacrilege) but cant find any at the price id like to spend, they're all too cheap. Id like to spend a bit on this guitar and to be electric it's looks like the ramirez is the most expansive cutaway or the Cordoba CE Custom which is a few K more!

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2015 DK1 by DK Custom Guitars
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 05-05-2019, 01:07 PM

I use my Tonewood amp on my Cordoba GK Pro Negra on a regular basis and enjoy the sound.

2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I use my Tonewood amp on my Cordoba GK Pro Negra on a regular basis and enjoy the sound.

How good is the Tonewoodamp eh! Makes playing such a joy. Pity I about the amount of batteries I go thru haha.
I looked into the GK pro but I know someone that has it and he's says has a few problems with neck so not sure and it's sort of the same level as my Alhambra and feel I wana go up a level.

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

Old 05-05-2019, 02:01 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

It's not clear from your post whether you have the Alhambra 9P and want to replace that with the Ramirez 4N or if you don't have either (as implied in your signature) - I've had very good luck with Alhambras in the past, and in this price range you'd be buying from a reputable dealer with a good return policy in the event that there's something wrong with the guitar on arrival, so I think it's a safe bet. As you say, the Ramirez 4N is likely to be made by a third party like Alhambra, so any difference in price will be down to the brand on the sticker in the soundhole - and maybe the fact that the guitar has been given an extra once-over by Ramirez. I suppose an important question is whether you can stand the Fishman electronics in the guitar or prefer something else (some people around here will have all kinds of experience with different options). I think you'd be getting a pretty good all-around classical with a pretty versatile electronic setup, but I don't have any experience with a full depth classical with this sort of combination Fishman system. Good luck in your quest!

Edit: what do you hope to get from the Ramirez that the Alhambra isn't doing for you? For the extra money, I'd probably shop around, maybe even find a used luthier instrument, though electronics might be a challenge there...

Last edited by dosland; 05-05-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Realized you already own the Alhambra...
Old 05-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
It's not clear from your post whether you have the Alhambra 9P and want to replace that with the Ramirez 4N or if you don't have either (as implied in your signature) - I've had very good luck with Alhambras in the past, and in this price range you'd be buying from a reputable dealer with a good return policy in the event that there's something wrong with the guitar on arrival, so I think it's a safe bet. As you say, the Ramirez 4N is likely to be made by a third party like Alhambra, so any difference in price will be down to the brand on the sticker in the soundhole - and maybe the fact that the guitar has been given an extra once-over by Ramirez. I suppose an important question is whether you can stand the Fishman electronics in the guitar or prefer something else (some people around here will have all kinds of experience with different options). I think you'd be getting a pretty good all-around classical with a pretty versatile electronic setup, but I don't have any experience with a full depth classical with this sort of combination Fishman system. Good luck in your quest!

Edit: what do you hope to get from the Ramirez that the Alhambra isn't doing for you? For the extra money, I'd probably shop around, maybe even find a used luthier instrument, though electronics might be a challenge there...
I have the Alhambra 9P and for the money I was a little underwhelmed when I got it. I've come to like it but not love it unfortunately. I'd like to spend a little more to get one that I love. As I want electric I have very little options. I would love a full bodied one but nobody offers electric ones. I do have a local luthier that does a cutaway but it's £4800 just for the no frills model!
Suppose just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Ramirez.

About the signature..... I've not signed into the website for ages now I have the app and signatures don't show up. I'll sign in and update just now

2009 Taylor 914ce
2010 Takamine TC132SC
2015 Guild Firestar
2018 Alhambra 9P CW E2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical