The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Open G tuning Vs open D tuning?

Further to an earlier thread for open tuned songs, I thought I would ask if there's a general preference among players, being new to them I'm not sold either way as yet.

What are the strengths of each?

Which feels less of the 'compromise'?

Which is the generally recommended one, in general purpose terms (not just blues)?

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Just to be totally contrary, I personally think that Open C is more versatile then either Open D or Open G (although of course you can't play "Police Dog Blues" in Open C)

FWIW I think the reason Open C is so versatile is that the major third is up there on the top string, out of the way, so it's easier to utilize the root and dominant (with double stops even) than it is in the other tunings.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

I have recently found open G to be a really inspirational tuning that I had previously overlooked. You can easily play in both D and G with some really interesting results.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:02 PM

I like open D minor, which is the saddest of all keys.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
I like open D minor, which is the saddest of all keys.
+1 and it's easier to remember DADFAD

'83 Gibson J-25 l '93 Gibson J-45 l '06 Avalon Gold D200 (Furch) l Tanglewood TW73-WN l RK RP-06 l RK ROS-06 lRK RO-06 l Blues 32 | Alvarez AP70

Old 11-23-2011, 03:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennylux View Post
Further to an earlier thread for open tuned songs, I thought I would ask if there's a general preference among players, being new to them I'm not sold either way as yet.

What are the strengths of each?

Which feels less of the 'compromise'?

Which is the generally recommended one, in general purpose terms (not just blues)?

Cheers.
Lenny,
Do not decide between the two, or settle for both. You need to listen to the possibilities of each one. They all have something that can float different boats.

If you go to my listening room page: http://howardemerson.com/music1.html
you'll hear on A Tale to Tell, in order, tracks in open D, open C, dropped D, open D & open G w/low C.

On CCL you'll hear, in order, open D, dropped D, open D, and open G.

You will hear blues, Celtic, moving bass, bottleneck, etc.

The point is to give you a sampler of what one person has written in several common open tunings.

Some are in the tuning itself, others are 'cross tuned', meaning they're played in keys other than the tuning itself (not including capo location)

If you have any questions...........

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM

I'm more partial to open G(for my reso), but I dabble in open D every once in a while.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM

The "mother" tuning in Hawaiian slack key seems to be the G tuning, we call it "taropatch" and that's a high compliment in Hawai`i. The tonic on the 5 string dominant on 6 seems to work well with most guitars. Having the tonic at the 5th fret 1st string makes it easier to use slurs into the tonic and makes the simple 1 chord at the 5th fret sonically strong. The high string partial chord shapes in G are also pretty easy to derive from the standard tuning shapes (move the note on the first string up 2 frets) which helps some. When I use the "other" tuning it always sounds intriguing at first but doesn't seem as much fun after a while.

Another benefit of G tuning is the easy shift to drop C - not an open tuning but a very rich and expressive one that results from lowering the 6 string in open G a whole step.

For my usual stage and kanikapila (jam session) guitar I tune to the F version of open G, down a whole step, because F is a popular key for singing. The drop C then becomes Bflat.

I occasionally but rarely play open G "cross tuned" in D. Howard Emerson, a member of the board, does some compelling stuff in crossed tunings.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The "mother" tuning in Hawaiian slack key seems to be the G tuning, we call it "taropatch" and that's a high compliment in Hawai`i. The tonic on the 5 string dominant on 6 seems to work well with most guitars. Having the tonic at the 5th fret 1st string makes it easier to use slurs into the tonic and makes the simple 1 chord at the 5th fret sonically strong. The high string partial chord shapes in G are also pretty easy to derive from the standard tuning shapes (move the note on the first string up 2 frets) which helps some. When I use the "other" tuning it always sounds intriguing at first but doesn't seem as much fun after a while.

Another benefit of G tuning is the easy shift to drop C - not an open tuning but a very rich and expressive one that results from lowering the 6 string in open G a whole step.

For my usual stage and kanikapila (jam session) guitar I tune to the F version of open G, down a whole step, because F is a popular key for singing. The drop C then becomes Bflat.

I occasionally but rarely play open G "cross tuned" in D. Howard Emerson, a member of the board, does some compelling stuff in crossed tunings.
is
Fran
\

Fran, I'd like to know the string gauges / set you use for this. Thanks
Old 11-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what type of music you'll be playing, which may influence your choice.
I mostly play in open G because most of the blues players I'm copying and stealing from are in G. If it's good enough for them.....
Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM

After coming across a video a few weeks ago of Fran Guidry playing Hawaiian slack key, I haven't stopped playing in open G. I am having an absolute ball learning this style of playing. It is like playing the soundtrack to a Corona commercial.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanlover View Post
\

Fran, I'd like to know the string gauges / set you use for this. Thanks
I've been all over the map on string gauges, although I've been consistent with Elixir Nanowebs for a number of years. For the last couple of years I've been doing an elaborate arrangement with lights on the G guitars and mediums on the F guitars, then bumping up the 1st and 6th to the next higher gauge. So my light set would have a .013 instead of .012 first, and .056 instead of .053 on the 6th. And on the medium set I'd bump the first up to .014 and the 6th up to .059.

But this past spring I decided to simplify and stopped using the "bumped up" strings, so it's lights on the G guitars and mediums on the F guitars.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-10-2015, 02:22 AM

I'm learning slide blues on my only acoustic. The lessons alternate between Open D & G, but soon I'd like to keep my guitar tuned to one of them for a long time. Would you choose Open G? Why? Or would Open D be your option?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:35 AM

With open-D having the root on the low and high strings I find messing around in this tuning easier for a beginner in alternative tunings.

That might change with experience of course.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-10-2015, 04:21 AM

I like open D because of the tonic on the first and sixth string.
Have yet to try open G.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
compromise, general, open, tuning, usage