The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up New Guy

Hi there,

I'm from England so I can't really help with the actual recommendation - but I would like to support Guto with his view on hand-made.

If you can find one in your price range, then I'd go for a spruce top too, as it's more likely to give you the quality of sound you describe.

I've had a few over the years - but I've been lucky to live near some quality luthiers - and count them as friends too. My current is a long scale length maple/spruce which I had made for me by an obscure maker (Malcolm Fox) - and that's 15 years ago and is my "keeper" for sure.

I had a John Ainsworth and a John Hullah ( I still have a 000 cutaway steel string) - all spruce - but then that's my preference.

Hope you find one you really like.

Don
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Agustino LoPrinzi's Cremona model is completely handmade in Augie's Florida shop by him and his daughter. Lists for roughly $1300.

http://www.augustinoloprinzi.com/prod01.htm
Old 09-09-2010, 10:30 AM

I would wait until you get into it a little more. Get a cheapo until you understand these enough to really know what sound you're looking for.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 PM

With your budget, I would seriously consider a used luthier built instrument, as long as you don't mind it having a little wear and tear. There are deals to be found out there, you just have to look around and be patient. You will get way more guitar for your money. With steel string guitars, I have come across many great sounding instruments under $1,000 brand new. With classical guitars, I would be hard pressed to find a great-sounding brand new one in the $2,000 range. Of course, that's just based on my own preferences in sound.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:44 PM

I too think Loprinzi is def worth taking a look at. I bought a Loriente Clarita a few yrs ago that I have been very happy with. I think they are going for around 2K these days. The sound quality is halfway between my Hirade(~$1,200) and my Kohno(~$6,000). Take a look at Maple Street Guitars in Atlanta, they always have a good selection and might be worth the trip to get a guitar you really like.
'94 Gibson Gospel
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 PM

I am very happy with my Alvarez Yairi, and my teachers, who all played luthier-made instruments, agreed that it was a fine instrument for the price. I paid $800 but it had a small ding in it that brought the price down. Before buying, I played a lot of guitars between 1K and 1.6K and thought it was the best of the lot, not just the best for the price. I was totally unimpressed with the Spanish guitars in that price range, but since then, the Spanish economy has collapsed, so maybe there's more value there in 2010.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack Amatuer View Post
I would wait until you get into it a little more. Get a cheapo until you understand these enough to really know what sound you're looking for.
I will probably go that route but will not get total cheapo. Kremona Fiesta FC which I can get for $700 (maybe even $500 used) is probably the best bet. You're right, I still don't know what sounds good as far as classical guitars.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
Ihe only thing that might be a deal breaker is that 1 7/8 nut. I wanted a true classical 2mm nut, but we'll see, I'm not making any judgments until I play it.
220volt...

I've been down the nylon string route 4 times, both with straight classicals and crossovers. I've had two Yairis (one classical & one crossover), an Alhambra classical, and a Kenny Hill New World crossover. As a steel string player, I was never able to really bond with a straight classical. The neck shape, wide fingerboard, and no radius were just too difficult for me to play as I had been accustomed. The Yairi was a nice sounding guitar, the Alhambra less so but neither had a chance for me because of playability issues. The Yairi crossover also had a 2 inch fingerboard so likewise, I didn't keep it long. The Hill stayed with me longest. It was a wonderful sounding guitar with 1 7/8 fingerboard and less classical like neck. Playability was fine. Eventually I decided that other nylon string issues didn't work for me - the difference in response & sustain. I was not trying to learn classical repertoire on it.

So... it looks like you play steel string and electric, why do you want the 2 inch fingerboard and classical neck? Play a bunch and look at that issue seriously.

I've only heard good things about the Kremonas but have never played one. I can't recommend the Kenny Hills highly enough. The Guild GADs are very nice for the price in either a true classical or a crossover. The Taylors are less "classical" in sound but you still might like one. They do feel comfortable to a steel string player.

Crossovers tend to be very good buys on the used market. Lots of steel string players, like me, buy them thinking they love the sound and then don't bond and sell them. True classical players don't like them because of neck size/shape/fingerboard, so the market is smaller. If you watch, you can probably find a good one for a very reasonable price. When I sold mine, it went for about 60% of the price of a new one. True classicals hold their value a little better I think.
that's me on guitar
Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
220volt...

I've been down the nylon string route 4 times, both with straight classicals and crossovers. I've had two Yairis (one classical & one crossover), an Alhambra classical, and a Kenny Hill New World crossover. As a steel string player, I was never able to really bond with a straight classical. The neck shape, wide fingerboard, and no radius were just too difficult for me to play as I had been accustomed. The Yairi was a nice sounding guitar, the Alhambra less so but neither had a chance for me because of playability issues. The Yairi crossover also had a 2 inch fingerboard so likewise, I didn't keep it long. The Hill stayed with me longest. It was a wonderful sounding guitar with 1 7/8 fingerboard and less classical like neck. Playability was fine. Eventually I decided that other nylon string issues didn't work for me - the difference in response & sustain. I was not trying to learn classical repertoire on it.

So... it looks like you play steel string and electric, why do you want the 2 inch fingerboard and classical neck? Play a bunch and look at that issue seriously.

I've only heard good things about the Kremonas but have never played one. I can't recommend the Kenny Hills highly enough. The Guild GADs are very nice for the price in either a true classical or a crossover. The Taylors are less "classical" in sound but you still might like one. They do feel comfortable to a steel string player.

Crossovers tend to be very good buys on the used market. Lots of steel string players, like me, buy them thinking they love the sound and then don't bond and sell them. True classical players don't like them because of neck size/shape/fingerboard, so the market is smaller. If you watch, you can probably find a good one for a very reasonable price. When I sold mine, it went for about 60% of the price of a new one. True classicals hold their value a little better I think.
Thanks for the advice, but I've played classical before and never had issue with 2 inch fingerboard. I actually prefer it. Plus I'm thinking about taking some classical lessons, so I figured to start properly
Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Matsuoka

I'd like to throw Matsuoka solid body guitars out there. I've got a few of them (M60, M25, M20/lam, and a 15T) but the M60 is one that gets the most play. If you see one hanging around, check it out. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." -----Yogi Berra
Old 09-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Musical minimalist

this recording has been haunting me for a LONG time now. Dream had this listed on Ebay a while back at quite a bit less than this as an opening bid and noone bid, so they may deal with you on it.....

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned...pe_4-08-12.php

I had a Cervantes Hauser Concert for a while that was pretty nice, the smaller body size is what ended up being the reason I sold it....just didn't have the "umph" I was looking for.....

Keep your eyes open for a Loriente Marieta or Isabel.....you can find them used for well under your range at times....nice guitars too.

just noticed your post about getting an entry level......see if you can find a Lucida 777 or 755.....you can find them used for very little and they are all solid wood.
I've had a couple that were really nice for the $$$

Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
this recording has been haunting me for a LONG time now. Dream had this listed on Ebay a while back at quite a bit less than this as an opening bid and noone bid, so they may deal with you on it.....

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned...pe_4-08-12.php

I had a Cervantes Hauser Concert for a while that was pretty nice, the smaller body size is what ended up being the reason I sold it....just didn't have the "umph" I was looking for.....

Keep your eyes open for a Loriente Marieta or Isabel.....you can find them used for well under your range at times....nice guitars too.

just noticed your post about getting an entry level......see if you can find a Lucida 777 or 755.....you can find them used for very little and they are all solid wood.
I've had a couple that were really nice for the $$$
That does sound great. It helps that Al Petteway is playing it

Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
That does sound great. It helps that Al Petteway is playing it

Thanks
there's a spot about 2/3 of the way through where he hits a chord, and that's the timbre I've been looking for on a classical.....tight, yet full bass and balance across the rest. Not too many out there like that.

Gryphon has a couple of nice Cervantes and also Music Emporium (last time I checked.)

Old 09-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaco View Post
I'd like to throw Matsuoka solid body guitars out there. I've got a few of them (M60, M25, M20/lam, and a 15T) but the M60 is one that gets the most play. If you see one hanging around, check it out. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
Specs look almost exactly like Kremona Fiesta FC.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post

I can't recommend the Kenny Hills highly enough.
One piece of information Royd forgot to mention is that they are made in China!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical