The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Hey Denny,

I've gotten used to my stand and gear box on my right, simply because that works best at the place I play most. To my right is the wall, and my stuff hides away naturally on that side, especially hiding the wires. On my left is the door, people walking by, so that side wouldn't work well. Cool idea though - glancing at the music stand and glancing at your fretboard...

I sit also - nice high padded one with a back, and it also sits on a little platform I made - only 4 or 5 inches high but it's pretty effective - bottom line is that I am higher than the diners, and it "looks" like I'm "on stage" - this helps visually and mentally for me. I sit both because I play a long time - 3 to 4 hours, rarely take breaks, and again because it is NOT a concert, and sitting helps me blend in and not dominate their meal. But because I am "above" them, I can turn it on and get their attention with a song when that is appropriate.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
How many of you perform with a music stand and the music in front of you?

Would you have a different impression of a performer if they had a music stand (with music/lyrics) when they performed compared to not referring to something on a stand?

I had a discussion with one of my band members about this and I would be curious to hear the general opinion.
Music stand? Only if you're at a high school recital dude. Come on. If you don't know the song well enough to play it from memory you shouldn't be playing it live.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matximus View Post
Music stand? Only if you're at a high school recital dude. Come on. If you don't know the song well enough to play it from memory you shouldn't be playing it live.
That's the thing, man - this one seems to have really mixed opinions.

I could understand if you were in multiple bands doing all sorts of different music. There are cases where it would be necessary. On the other hand, this is in a trio performing swing standards once a month for about an hour usually and these are songs that we've been playing over the past few months and sometimes over the last year - not new ones.

I don't see why there would be an issue just memorising the lyrics for four songs.

When I'm learning the lyrics to a new song, I listen to it non-stop over a few days and start to sing along. I might look up the lyrics and try and sing without them only referring back if I forget something. Eventually, it all falls into place and this may take a few days.

I do have to work at it but it's paid off. As with anything, it gets easier the more you do it.

Set list - yes, song lyrics - no. At least not in the situation I described above.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
That's the thing, man - this one seems to have really mixed opinions.

I could understand if you were in multiple bands doing all sorts of different music. There are cases where it would be necessary. On the other hand, this is in a trio performing swing standards once a month for about an hour usually and these are songs that we've been playing over the past few months and sometimes over the last year - not new ones.

I don't see why there would be an issue just memorising the lyrics for four songs.

When I'm learning the lyrics to a new song, I listen to it non-stop over a few days and start to sing along. I might look up the lyrics and try and sing without them only referring back if I forget something. Eventually, it all falls into place and this may take a few days.

I do have to work at it but it's paid off. As with anything, it gets easier the more you do it.

Set list - yes, song lyrics - no. At least not in the situation I described above.
I agree if you are only talking about performing the same 4 songs each time, over and over, it seems it could be memorized and down pat pretty easily. At any given time, depending on what I've recently learned and recently play alot I would guess that I have at least 10-15 I could play cold and get all the lyrics down. It's a little different when you're in front of a crowd though.

I definately defend the rights of the semi-amature "background" performer to have lyric or chord sheets in their sight. I like the idea of having it low and out of the way or sitting up higher etc. I have and will continue to use lyric sheets.

http://www.robharmon.net
http://reverbnation.com/robharmon
Old 03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I went on a cruise back around 2002. I spent time talking with one of the piano players on the ship and was able to watch him practice and play during his non-performing hours. He was very good at what he did and never played a song the same way twice. But he had his fakebooks and always had the song open and in front of him on the piano. When I have seen piano players in piano bars, restaurants, and large department stores, I usualy see them with sheet music or (more common) fakebooks.

This practice seems more common than one might think reading this thread.

Tony
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Watching John Mayer's DVD, he had a monitor low on the stage scrolling through the lyrics of one of his most popular songs. You'd think he'd remember his own lyrics, but it's always nice to have them available in case that fleeting moment of brain freeze happens.

I think the worst is when the stand is right in front hiding part of the performer, especially his/her face. At least get it out of the way, make it subtle.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM

Music stands are pretty common place for classical guitarists in concert, especially when playing duets, ensembles, etc.

I saw David Tannenbaum play a concert with Peppino D'Agostino. David used a music stand with the music. Peppino did not. Is David a slouch? Naw.

David in concert with Alejandro Lazo.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
I agree if you are only talking about performing the same 4 songs each time, over and over, it seems it could be memorized and down pat pretty easily. At any given time, depending on what I've recently learned and recently play alot I would guess that I have at least 10-15 I could play cold and get all the lyrics down. It's a little different when you're in front of a crowd though.

I definately defend the rights of the semi-amature "background" performer to have lyric or chord sheets in their sight. I like the idea of having it low and out of the way or sitting up higher etc. I have and will continue to use lyric sheets.

Firstly, interesting posts, everyone! Thanks for your input!

Fulano, if you're only singing four songs a month, is that not enough time to memorize lyrics even if they're all new songs (which they're not in my case)? I mean, we're not talking about MacArthur Park or American Pie type songs here with 12 pages of lyrics .

What do mean by a "background" performer? Is that like a 'potted plant' gig where you're only hired to provide background music?

Would your opinion change for a lead performer?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matximus View Post
I have yet to see a symphony orchestra, professional classical choir, or singer doing an art song/lieder recital without sheet music.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
I agree if you are only talking about performing the same 4 songs each time, over and over, it seems it could be memorized and down pat pretty easily....
Hi fulano...
Our active set list is over 65 songs, and they are all memorized...it's just a matter of discipline and time.

My preference is to not use music in front of me...and my opinion of guitarists/singers who play/sing without scores in front of them is higher than it is of those who use scores or lyric sheets when they perform...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Well; there's the answer.

Seriously, some folks are blessed with better memories than others. I see it in my work - judges, attorneys, mediators, businesspeople, etc. doing similar work - some taking or reading copious notes, others "winging" it. I haven't found a link between "notelessness" and competence/incompetence, as there probably isn't one.

Actors, standup comics, magicians, etc. are expected to have the material memorized at public performances; however, that expectation has simply not transferred to most forms of musical performance. The last thing we forumites, most of whom are amateurs, need to do is saddle each other with another obstacle to enjoyable playing and listening.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM

For what it's worth, I always have my books and stand. They've become part of my gear. Most of the numbers in my regular rotation are memorized, but I pride myself on taking requests...lots of 'em. I don't mind using the book recall the lyrics to some obscure tune that I haven't played in years if it's going to make someone happy. If that's cheating, or unprofessional, then I guess I'm an unprofessional cheater.

Taylor 314CE
An old Tak
An older Yamaha (undergoing a major overhaul, due back June 27).
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 PM

Default Enough

This discussion has drifted into the negative value zone, for me anyway. I know what I'm doing is right, and professional, for me and my listeners. I do suggest that some people would be well served to consider first that there is more than one way to do a good job at something, and also that collectively we all have a special gift of making music, however we each choose to present our performances. Being overly critical of another musician's methods because they are different than one's own does not seem in the spirit of what making music is all about, I believe. Over and out.

Last edited by MikeTX; 03-24-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi m4f...
I have never played on a Worship Team with music...most is pretty simple, and not that complex. We rehearse once a week for 90 minutes, and probably rehearse pieces 3-4 times before they ever go 'public'.

If your process is faster than that, I understand you reading, but I still prefer people who learn their music...tell me a story don't read it to me...
Amen. I think that memorizing should be a part of anybody's practice routine. It's a invaluable skill. Besides, what happens when you get on stage and your music is missing? Music is a crutch that more and more musicians seem to be leaning on.

1994 Carlos
2001 Seagull
Old 03-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, but I thought I would point out that Bruce Springsteen uses a teleprompter. Also I just saw a film of an Allman Brothers concert the other night and Gregg Allman had his music laying out on his piano. Neither one is a obvious as a music stand, but both do the same thing. I think you could call either one of those guys professionals .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell