The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post

Though I understand what you are saying I think that an actor in a play comparison is a bit extreme. An actor is trying to be someone else...

When I play guitar .... just expressing myself. ...
Hi Steve
I'm sorry. I don't think it’s extreme at all. I think the actor comparison is more than fair. If you are paying to see a performer, of any kind, you have a reasonable expectation that that person is prepared to perform. And just as an actor can't really "be the part" until the lines are truly digested, I personally think it’s hard to imagine one can really express themselves on their instrument if they are looking at a paper
Old 03-22-2009, 11:00 PM

Ok, here's my story:

I play in a trio with a percussionist and a vocalist. We play a gig on average once a month and the singing duties are shared between the three of us.

We play on average for an hour (although we did one private party where we played for three hours) with about 16 songs in a set. This means that at most, each person sings about five songs - we throw in a few instrumentals as well. We're not learning new songs for every gig.

In my situation, I view having a stand as a crutch and as a barrier that comes between the performer and the audience. I think it's disrespectful to the audience and so I make it a point to memorise everything I am going to perform. That's just my own personal viewpoint, though. I wouldkeep a set list handy but that's it.

What would you do in my situation?

The percussionist says he has a problem remembering lyrics and needs the lyrics. In our particular situation, I don't think remembering the words to 4 or 5 songs should be that big an issue. From an overall group presentation viewpoint, I think he should at least try to memorise the lyrics.

For me, the most important thing is to make sure we present ourselves professionally even if we aren't professionals but I don't know if I'm making too big a fuss here. I like him and I enjoy the dynamic that we have so wouldn't want to jeopardise that. From what everyone has written so far, it seems opinions are mixed on this one.

Last edited by Bevelman; 03-22-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 AM

IMHO, it depends on why you're playing. I consider myself most of the time to be an entertainer--to interact with and communicate to the audience, and in that situation they have paid to see me (either via a cover charge or tip jar). I owe them my full attention--their lattes, beers or burgers are secondary to the entertainment. In that case, if I do use a music stand (and I try not to if there's any other option) it's off to the side and all it contains is my set list (in large type!), picks, capo and wristwatch. I do tend to memorize more easily than some, and transpose or figure out chords on the fly, which some other bandmates can't do--so their music stands contain lyrics and chords (especially if it's material that's new to them).

But there are five situations in which I always use a stand:

1. When playing in an ensemble with a set program and assigned parts (i.e., the dulcimer orchestra with which I occasionally concertize or the temple's klezmer band).
2. In temple or a UU service which I am helping to lead--order of service, prayers (esp. in another language), unfamiliar hymns and sometimes even a homily are a little much to memorize, especially when the subject of the service changes each time. (In Judaism, it is considered more proper to read from a text and get it right than to try to do it from memory and screw up).
3. At a writers' round or songwriter exchange where we're expected to do new material each time. (We often pass the stand around).
4. If I am hired as background music--the audience is there for their own conversation and enjoyment of the food and I am just part of the atmosphere. It's one of those situations in which in lieu of being paid attention you're being paid money, and to try to entertain would be intrusive. I bring a binder of cover tunes and a fake book for if I get a request for a song I can blunder my way through chordwise but am shaky on the lyrics.
5. If I'm hired at the last minute to sit in on bass with a band or accompany a singer--in that case I need at least the chord charts if it involves a lot of stuff I've never heard before, much less played.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 AM

Very good discussion and I can see both points. I would rather be able to memorize the music totally but that is actually very difficult for me, everyone has different gifts. In our praise band we don't have electronic screens for lyrics like I know some do. I did a Christmas party program with a mix of 60s and contemporary Christian music and had a stand with music as a reference, not alway looking at it but used as needed. It was very well received. Like I said I know it is much more professional to not have the stand, I respect that.
But for those of us that are "memorize challenged" and or don't really do this for a living you got to do what you got to do. I am a banker by profession and look at my music as a joy and a ministry. Sometimes I make more of an impact in my community because absolutely no one expects a banker to play and sing. Better than staying home!! Maybe we need a post on how to help the memorize challenged memorize songs.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bman (& others)...
If I'm forced into a situation where I need a stand, I have a portable stand that is sturdy looking (built from 1 inch tubular aluminum and black) and it can be set-up very low (VERY low)...in fact about a foot lower than a normal stand.

I put it as low as it will go, print the materials extra large, and set it about 4 feet in front of me off to one side so there is actually a question in the minds of onlookers that it's even functional. On a dark stage it's out of the limelight. That way it's just a reference tool and not a crutch...

Saw the Matt Flinner trio the other night, and they have a practice of writing a song a day apiece while on the road tour, and in fact they perform a three song mini-set that is comprised of the three songs they have written in the past 24 hours (one song apiece) at every concert (they have written more than 60 songs that way so far).

They used a stand for that mini-set, and I forgave them...and they each used a single sheet of staff paper and played 4-5 minute songs, so I'd love to see how they were annotated! That may be one of the most valid uses I've seen for using a stand on stage...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind gibsona View Post
On the other hand, little annoys me more than going to see a performer who stares at a music stand while reading/singing the lyrics. I've actually heard some of them say, "I just wrote this song and I still haven't got it memorized." Ya know what? Go home and memorize it -- THEN bring it out in public!
I dunno, I can think of at least one song that was performed that way for which I'm glad he sang it rather than waiting to practice some more. If it's a good song and a good performance I can live without "eye contact" from the artist.

It really is all about the jam and whether it works or not for me.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Using lyric sheets on some songs ALLOWS me to bring in new songs, which are almost always very enjoyable to my listeners, and to me. I didn't LIKE the idea of using a book, AT ALL, but when I finally said to myself "go ahead", it opened up my performance a lot, for the better I fully believe ... I tell fellow musicians that the only thing worse than using a cheat book is forgetting the words! Works for me... Mike
Me too, Mike! I play solo, duets, trios, am in an acoustic "roots/Americana" quartet, and sub on bass for a few different bands. That's a lot of music/lyrics to commit my ever weakening 55 year old memory. And even with all the songs I know, I do open mics every week, and ALWAYS bring at least one new (to me) song to every set. I respect the songwriter enough to make sure that I sing the song he/she wrote, not the song I remember ... In the combos I make margin notes about key, position, tempo, intro, where the breaks are, harmonizations, ending ... again ... a lot of "metadata" to remember. I don't "read" the charts as such, but they're there to help me catch the first line of the next verse.

While some musicians have commented at open mics about my use of charts (actually, just lyric cheat sheets) I've noticed that they are the guys who have been playing the same sets for 20 years and rarely bring anything new to the stage. I've also found that by the time I've played a number on stage six-ish times I no longer need the sheets (if I play again relatively soon after).

Admittedly, I think my best performances are those I've memorized ... but first I had to get there.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks Denny, for the shared opinion. I think there's a special magic in preforming a song for people the very first time. I refuse to deprive myself and my listeners of that special magic simply because I don't have a new song memorized completely.

I've always considered Paul McCartney and Billy Joel to be pretty "professional", as a couple of examples... Sir Paul uses a teleprompter and Billy uses several fat notebooks on top of his baby grand...

Again, I really WISH I was the cool, charming, compelling, eye-contact, storyteller kind of performer, but that's just not my particular gift or technique. Using lyrics when I need them helps me do what I do - play and sing songs that people enjoy.

Different strokes, folks!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 AM

Depends on the venue............

There are some pretty good to world class musicians in symphony orchestras that use music stands, again it depends on the venue. I don't use a stand but I don't hold it against those that do, it's my ears not my eyes they have to impress. To each his own, there is no right or wrong with this just personal preferences.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Larry, very good advice about having the stand down and away if you need it.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
How many of you perform with a music stand and the music in front of you? . . .
Well, if someone had a music stand in front of them with no music or lyrics on it, I would find it slightly odd . . .
Old 03-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Classically trained players, and even some singers, normally use music, on a stand or hand-held.

If I'm playing a short set, I'll memorize. For longer sets, I may have lyric sheets on a stand, bit I keep the stand low, and refer to the paper only if I need a quick prompt.

I always stand up. To me, nothing has less audience appeal than someone sitting down, half hidden behind a music stand.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Thanks Denny, for the shared opinion.
No problem ... but two rights don't make a right ...

I notice in your profile pic you keep your stand to your right, down low. I do just the opposite, preferring it on my left, down low. That way I can peek at the sheet, and my fretboard ... and to the audience it all looks the same. I"ve recently taken to using an On-Stage stool, and that gets me up above the heads of those seated at the table, but still allows me to sit comfortably to play.

I agree with "rmyAddison" who says he doesn't listen with his eyes. It's a good thing that's how it works for most folks, or I'd NEVER get the gig ...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM

I am an older guy not a pro but do songs at church, folk singer gatherings old folks homes and they are spread out. Without a stand I would forget the lyric and look foolish. Don't have a problem with the music except to get the song started. It does look more professional not having one in front of you. But the show goes on and I see a lot of people on TV using cue cards.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
How many of you perform with a music stand and the music in front of you?
It depends on the gig. A wedding where I'm sight-reading? Absolutely. A folk group that does 3 hours of songs that sound the same to me? Probably. A solo gig doing my own music? Definitely not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell