The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Saw Molly Tuttle live

I finally got a chance to see Molly Tuttle live on Wednesday. She was at a small venue in Hollywood. What an incredible talent! She was nothing short of jaw-dropping amazing on the guitar. She had it all. Speed, tone, clarity, clean, etc.

For the guitar nerds: She rotated between a couple of dreads. I believe they were a Pre*War (natural top) and Preston Thompson (sunburst with a torch inlay on the headstock). Neither had a name on the headstock. So those are just guesses. She had a full band behind her, but the sound guy did a great job letting us hear her playing clearly.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post
I finally got a chance to see Molly Tuttle live on Wednesday. She was at a small venue in Hollywood. What an incredible talent! She was nothing short of jaw-dropping amazing on the guitar. She had it all. Speed, tone, clarity, clean, etc.

For the guitar nerds: She rotated between a couple of dreads. I believe they were a Pre*War (natural top) and Preston Thompson (sunburst with a torch inlay on the headstock). Neither had a name on the headstock. So those are just guesses. She had a full band behind her, but the sound guy did a great job letting us hear her playing clearly.
Wow, I would love to get to hear her live. The sunburst sounds as though it could be her Preston Thompson.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I wish I heard about it. I am 1.5 hours away. She is playing "Frisco" tonight. Thank you for the review.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I took the train from Philly to see her in NYC on Monday. That show was well worth the trip. If she was there tonight, I might just go again.

The 2 guitars looked liked Huss & Dalton and Thompson from my vantage point. She could have made an $100 Yamaha sound great.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I wish I heard about it. I am 1.5 hours away. She is playing "Frisco" tonight. Thank you for the review.
I knew she was going to be up this way but couldn't change my schedule. Maybe I can catch her next time.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Yes, her Preston Thompson and most likely her Pre War

Those are whe played when we caught her a month ago
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM

She is a gem. I saw her at Wintergrass a few years ago and really appreciated her guitar ability, as well as her singing and songwriting. She has the full package. As someone who also plays banjo, I loved her clawhammer guitar stuff. Check it out on YouTube if you haven't.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-24-2019, 11:07 AM

I saw Molly last June in Ogden Utah.
She had a three piece backup band with her.
The sound was awful that night but you could hear and tell how talented she was despite the poor sound.
I liked her claw hammer guitar playing a lot.
This young lady will go far.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Liv View Post

I was also at that show and yes, I believe the first guitar was her Pre-War Dread. The second was definitely her Thompson. It seems like she favors the Pre-War for when she plays clawhammer style.

The backing band was great and they ripped through a rousing cover of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Zero." She did a two song mini solo set of "Gentle on My Mind" and "White Freightliner Blues" that was blazing.

BTW, it was a sound gal who did a great job.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:56 AM

I REALLY wanted to go to that show, but had to go out of town for work.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-25-2019 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 05-25-2019, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Molly was superb at The Greystones, Sheffield, UK a few weeks ago. In a small, intimate setting (130-capacity), I had the good fortune to be sitting front row, centre-stage - maybe six feet from the lady herself. She played completely solo, and she used only one guitar - pretty certain it was her Pre*War - through a ToneDexter into the house PA.

Being so close, I was able to hear both the PA, and the acoustic sound coming from the guitar, and I have to say it was astonishingly good - that dry, woody, vintage sound everyone craves. And, of course, Molly’s playing was jaw-dropping. I was also surprised by the strength of her singing - she has matured as a vocalist, and can hold her head up alongside some of the major ‘stars’ - and her songwriting is very impressive indeed.

Very much A Night To Remember!

A shot of Molly at the gig with some of the UK’s Folk-Music luminaries (pic. from the FaceBook Page of Kate Rusby)...L:R Martin Simpson, Damien O’Kane, MT, Kate Rusby.

2C8A919C-4F19-4BFC-921B-64A1AD838134.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
BTW, it was a sound gal who did a great job.
Thanks for the correction and my apologies to the amazing sound gal.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Caught her for the first time when she came through Richmond this past winter. Mind-bending talent, for sure. My wife had not heard a single one of her tunes before we went and was an instant fan after the first number.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN