The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyHD28 View Post
It was determined to be mineral deposits in the wood absorbed while it was alive.
Yep, I've seen a number guitars with this and it's completely natural and actually not abnormal at all. Some may not like it--in which case they shouldn't buy it--but it's not a flaw, nor an indication of poor QC at Martin.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 07-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
It happens. My new Taylor 517 has got some finish issues. Of course, the issues with my guitar can only be felt, yours is pretty obvious.
Fortunately it's not mine. It was just one that I was trying out at a store...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's very doubtful any stain was used on that wood.
I would tend to agree, but that would simply be my attempt at applying common sense given that it is under the clear coat...Yeah, common sense doesn't get ya far some times when you don't have knowledge in certain areas...Admittedly, I know nothing about guitar finishing...lol

Frankly, it looked so bad in person that I'm gonna give Martin the benefit of the doubt on this one...There is no way, at least in my mind, that they would have knowingly shipped this out....Just my thoughts...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
If you know what you're looking for, sometimes you can see lots of filler in rosewood. Mahogany, too. But usually it's darker than the wood if anything. I've got an older Martin parlor, otherwise really nice, where one of the mahogany sides clearly cracked all the way across as it was being bent. They just glopped some filler in there, sanded it back into shape, and shipped it.
See, for me, if this is the case I find this kind of disappointing that Martin would do this (assuming you're right). Filling natural pores etc. is one thing, but filling a large crack that their manufacturing process caused? That is something else entirely...unacceptable in my view. Everyone has an opinion. I would not buy a guitar from any company that operated like this....Personally...I hope yer wrong...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Anyone can have a problem. What surprises me is that the store has this guitar out on display and didn't send it back to Martin.
Yeah, this store is a "Best Buy"-type of outfit for guitar sales...If you will...

They're generally pretty well received in the community though...well reviewed for service, taking care of problems, etc...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Was it hanging anywhere near a Pre War Guitar?
Not the kind of place that would have vintage stuff...All modern new stuff only...This is the kind of place that basically only sells new instruments...
Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I agree with Silly. It looks like grain filler under the finish. Ive seen this on lighter rosewood before and wouldn't immediately jump to it being a "fault". To answer "lowrider", they may have put it on display/didn't send it back because they also did not consider a blem.

Here's a photo with a little bit of light filler showing in the grain on my rosewood Larrivee, although it's only around the strap peg. I suppose if it was prominent all around the body I'd consider it cosmetically unacceptable.
Alright, tend to agree with ya for sure...that looks very similar...I'm definitely learning something here...This is more or less my first foray into "real guitars"...My current guitar is all laminate etc...

Yeah, this one was on the back in a large prominent area, and prominent on 2 other sides by memory...It was very visible across the instrument's surface.

Was yours like this from day one of owning it? Or did it develop and become more prominent over time?

Cheers
Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 AM

I've definitely learned a thing or two in this thread...thanks guys...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion