The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Stager SR3 Large Ribbon Mic

http://stagermicrophones.com

Totally digging this mic. I'm always searching for the best mic for single mic voice/guitar recording, and this is one of the best I've had the pleasure to use. Nice top end, pleasant midrange, acceptable lows with superb off axis response - it has bumped my AEA44 off the mic stand.

I am playing sitting down, ribbon perpendicular to the floor 2 feet from my head at mouth level. Guitar is a '35 Martin 00-18. I use this song for most my tests as it contains a lot of the easy to get out of hand (for me) esses and plosives and the general dynamic range I try to use in a single mic performance. These demos are preproduction to make sure the signal chain I use leaves plenty of dynamics for mastering (hense the mix comp and limiter) with out squashing the guitar to close to the vocal. Right now I can hear the Sta recovering, even though the needle is barely moving, so that will need to be backed off next go around, and I'll probably adjust the 5033 to leave a little bit more of the low end, but man, the Stager SR3 is amazing.

Capture chain is:
Stager SR3 -> RCA BA31a preamp -> Retro Sta -> RNP 5033 with HP at 80 -> Metric Halo ULN8

Mix chain is a touch of Nimbus Reverb Room -> RNP 5043 @ slowest attack, fastest release just barely touching the occasional peak -> FabFilter Pro-L using the singer/guitar preset with the most dynamic range and making sure nothing is clipping.

Sorry about that cricket...he's in the wall somewhere, behind a sound panel and I hope he dies before these sessions start.

_1040575.jpg

Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, sounds fine.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD