The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Ah, yes, how great. Leave the work to the sound guy. Don't bother to develop good technique and dynamics because you will never need it. No wonder so much music sounds so anemic and artificial today.
How did you get to that rant from my statement?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr View Post
Oh, and the accordion player's name was Wilene Russell Forrester. Monroe gave her the stage name Sally Ann. The accordion band recorded just once, in early 1945. Bluegrass, as we know it, was born later that year when Earl Scruggs joined the Bluegrass Boys.
Sorry if I confused you with the accordion player's name. I certainly understand that if you look her up on the internet, you will generally find the two names you mention. When we first met in 1973, however, she said "Hi, I'm Billie," so that is how I have always known her.

Clearly, there are many who share your opinion about there being a day that bluegrass was born. There are others that think it was born in 1939, when Mr. Monroe first played the Opry. Still others say it started in 1934 when Earl Scruggs was 10 years old and started playing with three fingers. I think that evolved is more accurate than born. There were lots of ingredients, and people continue to keep trying to change the recipe.

My understanding that Ralph Rinzler was the first one to refer to it as "bluegrass music," somewhere before he started the Greenbriar Boys ... probably in '56 or '57.

I now realize that we have ventured far from the topic of this thread, so I will stop now and try to behave!

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 04-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Default Flatpicking v. Fingerpicking

Technique-wise, both techniques are equally adept for single line melodic scale like passages; both are equally adept for strumming chords, though flat pickers can't play "block" chords but can only strum; but finger style is much better for arpeggios and skipping strings. I earned my bachelor's in classical guitar, blew my hand out (focal dystonia), and can now flat pick pretty well but can't play finger style. As such I'm all about trying to play finger style music with a pick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell