The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have a question for all of you Tele fans. Now that you play acoustic, most likely with 1 3/4 nut, do you have any issues with the Fender 1 5/8 width?

I've been playing for two years and lately I have a really bad case of Telecaster Fever. The first time I tried on at GC, the string spacing and super low action were almost impossible for me. But it's gotten much better. Maybe its the neck radius but it it's become much easier than it was.

At first, I thought I would need to get a Warmoth neck with 1 3/4, but now I'm not sure. There are lots of bodies without necks for sale on Reverb. I could get one and order the neck from Warmoth.

Do you think that's the way to go for me or should I just buy the guitar and see how it goes before switching the neck?
I can play a narrow Fender neck, but don't ask me to like it. Granted, I play mostly above the fifth fret, so nut width is not terribly important. But when I am on the first five frets I prefer the added room on my 1 3/4 Warmoth necks. But to answer your question, give the Fender neck a try. You might like it.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 12-20-2018, 06:17 PM

For me it would be a semi-hollow (but a Tele would be a close second). Both only played clean, of course.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I have a question for all of you Tele fans. Now that you play acoustic, most likely with 1 3/4 nut, do you have any issues with the Fender 1 5/8 width?
Yes, I do. I don't even bother picking them up and trying them no matter how much I would like to. It it just too narrow for me.

Awhile back on the CGF, a member gave me a link to Big Lou's Guitars. www.biglouguitar.com/index.htm

I have always wanted a tele but could not find one with a wide neck. Voila, I ordered an SX from Rondo and got a neck from Big Lou's. I now have a Big Lou neck on my tele for Mr. Big Hands.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:07 PM

I've been playing for two years and lately I have a really bad case of Telecaster Fever. The first time I tried on at GC, the string spacing and super low action were almost impossible for me. But it's gotten much better. Maybe its the neck radius but it it's become much easier than it was.

At first, I thought I would need to get a Warmoth neck with 1 3/4, but now I'm not sure. There are lots of bodies without necks for sale on Reverb. I could get one and order the neck from Warmoth.

Do you think that's the way to go for me or should I just buy the guitar and see how it goes before switching the neck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofm74 View Post
I think you’ll adjust.
May I give you some advice and advise you to never tell anyone that again unless you know them personally and know the size of their hands and fingers? I was told that so many times when I first started playing and had a very difficult time playing clean notes unless I played so slowly it didn't sound like music. Please understand that some people's hands and fingers will NOT fit a narrow neck. It may be fine for you and 90% of other players but some of us, we just can't do it. I can only fit two fingers in an A chord and others are the same. So how on earth is someone with digits like that going to play cleanly on one of those necks?

We need to be encouraging to others, not discouraging.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post

May I give you some advice and advise you to never tell anyone that again unless you know them personally and know the size of their hands and fingers? I was told that so many times when I first started playing and had a very difficult time playing clean notes unless I played so slowly it didn't sound like music. Please understand that some people's hands and fingers will NOT fit a narrow neck. It may be fine for you and 90% of other players but some of us, we just can't do it. I can only fit two fingers in an A chord and others are the same. So how on earth is someone with digits like that going to play cleanly on one of those necks?

We need to be encouraging to others, not discouraging.
Hi Mr. Big Hands,

with respect, I find your suggestion that I “never do it again” quite out of place. Is it customary for you to tell others on a forum what they should or should not say?

I was in fact encouraging him to try a stock tele and find out for himself whether, for the things he is going to play on it, a narrower nut is a problem or not. I frankly can’t see what is wrong with that. He may try it and find out it’s not for him. You were actually encouraging him to go the partscaster route instead of getting one off the shelf. Which may be exactly what he needs – or not. Just like my advice, only before he can try it out he will likely have to pay for the neck… Should I tell you "never to do that again", in case he may be disappointed in what he buys? Or do you know him personally?

On your technical point. I can appreciate that. I have big, big mitts as well, and I could never play on a narrow-nut telecaster (say) the rather intricate passages of chord melody that I play on my Loar. That’s a problem I have with my other archtops, and if I move it on this will likely be a factor (except that for other things the neck is very comfortable). But the point of my post was: the things we play on different guitars are different, and for the application, a narrow nut MAY not be a problem. For me, playing smaller block chords and single lines in country, jazz and blues style on a tele was never a problem. YMMV of course.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:20 AM

Didn't read whole thread, but...Godin Synthax. Electric, piezo, synth, all blendable. 3 in 1!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 AM

My main electric is a 1981 BC Rich Mockingbird, dark cherry sunburst, hardtail bridge and two S. Duncan pick ups. Love it!
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 12-21-2018, 03:24 AM

Taylor T5z.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:36 AM

MIM Tele with maple neck/fretboard. Bought it last year and had planned to get a Hagstrom, Epiphone or similar but when I picked up a Tele it just felt right. Together with a Katana50 I couldn’t be happier. Also looked at some cool Ibanez models but they were just not meant for me
Old 12-21-2018, 12:03 PM

Default It depends

Strats, tele's, PRS, Gibson...vintage, new. It depends, but the main thing for me is to play it in after it's been sitting and get reacquainted. I do like my LSL tele inspired with maple/rw neck.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Issues? Yes and no. I prefer a wider neck on acoustic. Yes, sometimes I have trouble sounding things cleanly with voicings in the cowboy chord range. However, with the lighter strings I use on electric (.009 sets on Teles usually) I have less trouble barring chords or fretting multiple strings with one finger, so I'll adjust fingerings. And when playing rhythm on electric I'll often use simpler voicings, two and three note voicings, that wouldn't be full enough on solo acoustic.

I used to play a lot of single note "lead guitar" on acoustic. I don't do that as much anymore, but I do that a lot on electric. In such playing I'm all over the neck and any conventional guitar neck width isn't really an issue.

Someday I should try a Warmoth 1.75 electric neck. I might like it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-21-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hello,

I’m wondering if primarily acoustic guitar players are drawn to any particular electric guitar models?

Thanks.

I'm a Fender guy as much as a Taylor guy, although my main electric right now is a G&L (still a "Fender" company) ASAT Classic Alnico.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 PM

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I’m wondering if primarily acoustic guitar players are drawn to any particular electric guitar models?
I prefer a 60s Gibson ES-335 w/ humbuckers going through a nice tube amp. I love Les Pauls and Strats also.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion