The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm not getting 30 days with any batteries. But it's long enough. They've ghosted me so I'm not getting any support on the new (December 2019) batteries that came with the new (May? 2020) S1s. I'm pissed.
As would I be I've posted a link to this thread on the Bose Pro Users FB group, remains to be seen if the mods there will allow it.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 07-26-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
As would I be I've posted a link to this thread on the Bose Pro Users FB group, remains to be seen if the mods there will allow it.
I've posted it on the Bose Forum. Crickets.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I chided them for ghosting me and they finally responded. They sent my question to some team who said the units and batteries are working properly. Funny, dropping to 90% in 12 hours and max 8 days after 3 tests was not acceptable with the original units. I'm sending back the replacements and the bags and they're giving me full refunds on everything. I may replace them in the future, but they've soured me on Bose. At any rate, the L1 Compact I bought used for less than one S1 while these were being serviced probably works better for me anyway. And I have a JBL Compact if I really ever need a battery powered speaker. That one has zero battery issues. Just need to work with it and follow Cuki's instructions to get it to sound ok.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I chided them for ghosting me and they finally responded. They sent my question to some team who said the units and batteries are working properly. Funny, dropping to 90% in 12 hours and max 8 days after 3 tests was not acceptable with the original units. I'm sending back the replacements and the bags and they're giving me full refunds on everything. I may replace them in the future, but they've soured me on Bose. At any rate, the L1 Compact I bought used for less than one S1 while these were being serviced probably works better for me anyway. And I have a JBL Compact if I really ever need a battery powered speaker. That one has zero battery issues. Just need to work with it and follow Cuki's instructions to get it to sound ok.
I guess that's the best you could hope for. Pity you're not in the UK where you could have bought a new pair and tested them before returning them (the EU/UK has a 28 day return police for mail order goods and most retailers will match that for shop bought stuff) if they didn't perform properly.

The actions of the forum mods has left a very bad taste for me, I still have my S1 Pro's but that, plus your experience, means I will not buy another Bose product and will actively discourage anyone else from doing so.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 08-06-2020, 05:40 PM

IMO, you should remove the battery or leave the S1 plugged-in to AC for storage longer than a few days. A battery tender on a car left for a week or more is not considered a bad idea (my wife's relatively new car battery failed due to lack of usage during the Covid lockdown).

My 1995 Camry had a list of stuff you had to turn off if you planned to leave it in a parking lot for a week or more...

I would not expect my phone or laptop to sit around for a month and hold their charge. They might do it, but I would never take the chance to find out (well they get used every day... :~).

If someone says removing the battery or leaving it plugged-in to trickle charge doesn't work, then you have a real problem. Otherwise I think you going too far on this issue and ignoring its other strengths (IMO...).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-06-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
IMO, you should remove the battery or leave the S1 plugged-in to AC for storage longer than a few days. A battery tender on a car left for a week or more is not considered a bad idea (my wife's relatively new car battery failed due to lack of usage during the Covid lockdown).

My 1995 Camry had a list of stuff you had to turn off if you planned to leave it in a parking lot for a week or more...

I would not expect my phone or laptop to sit around for a month and hold their charge. They might do it, but I would never take the chance to find out (well they get used every day... :~).

If someone says removing the battery or leaving it plugged-in to trickle charge doesn't work, then you have a real problem. Otherwise I think you going too far on this issue and ignoring its other strengths (IMO...).
No, there's something wrong with these replacements they sent me. They admitted there was an issue. Now what was not acceptable to Bose is acceptable to them. There are many reporting 30 days and more before their batteries drain to 90%. I expect the same performance that others are reporting. They don't care.

Your comparisons are apples and oranges.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
The S1 works fine without a battery installed so there is no need for it to draw any current from the battery whin it [I]is[I] installed.

Quote:
See above, the S1 has nothing that needs turning off to preserve the battery, it has nothing that needs powering when it is switched 'off'

Quote:
I would, and my phone and laptop do retain their charge when switched off (as opposed to placed in standby).

Quote:
Leaving them on charge is a bad idea, Google "Dreamliner battery fires".

Not ignoring their strengths, I still have my S1 Pro's, but very unhappy by the way Bose have handled the issue.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 08-07-2020, 06:01 AM

You guys are trying to punish Bose with this endless thread. If the battery can be trickle charged or sit on a shelf without loosing charge it is not defective.

I suspect their business will survive regardless. The reviews on Sweetwater, for example, are stellar.

There are standby sources of power consumption in all modern electronics and component variation can make them quite different from sample to sample. I've got an MSEE and I'm not exactly the most ill informed poster on the AGF when it comes to electronics. I would give Bose points for making firmware mods to improve the standby spec, but just because someone says theirs is better than yours does not make that true, or even unreasonable.

I have a brand-X LIPo battery inverter combo that will run my CP-8 loud for hours that I leave plugged-in to be ready when I need it. It might hold a charge on a shelf, but why bother finding out?

Jon Fields
Old 08-07-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
You guys are trying to punish Bose with this endless thread. If the battery can be trickle charged or sit on a shelf without loosing charge it is not defective.

I suspect their business will survive regardless. The reviews on Sweetwater, for example, are stellar.

There are standby sources of power consumption in all modern electronics and component variation can make them quite different from sample to sample. I've got an MSEE and I'm not exactly the most ill informed poster on the AGF when it comes to electronics. I would give Bose points for making firmware mods to improve the standby spec, but just because someone says theirs is better than yours does not make that true, or even unreasonable.

I have a brand-X LIPo battery inverter combo that will run my CP-8 loud for hours that I leave plugged-in to be ready when I need it. It might hold a charge on a shelf, but why bother finding out?
Look, I'm just comparing my test results to the results others have had after the firmware updates. And it's not just people on the AGF. It's also on the Bose forum.

I can tell you that my JBL Eon Compact battery lasts months with seemingly no battery drain.

It's not your issue, so just let this thread die a natural death. I may decide to buy another pair in the future. I do think there's an issue with these.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You guys are trying to punish Bose with this endless thread.
Not it the slightest, just calling them out for some dodgy gear and poor customer service.

Quote:
If the battery can be trickle charged or sit on a shelf without loosing charge it is not defective.
You obviously haven't read the thread, the 'battery drain issue' fault is not with the batteries (although David E has had problems with his new batteries)

Quote:
No doubt, but that doesn't excuse them from justified criticism.

Quote:
There are standby sources of power consumption in all modern electronics and component variation can make them quite different from sample to sample.
Not in the S1 Pro, at least not essential ones, or it wouldn't work without the battery installed.

Quote:
I've got an MSEE and I'm not exactly the most ill informed poster on the AGF when it comes to electronics. I would give Bose points for making firmware mods to improve the standby spec, but just because someone says theirs is better than yours does not make that true, or even unreasonable.
Not sure what your point is here?

Quote:
Likewise, how is this relevant?
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 08-07-2020, 11:31 AM

This is your point of view and you are entitled to it. Mine is different. I see merit in the information the OP has shared. These speakers are not cheap. I don't blame folks that feel burned by Bose in sharing their experiences.

Some may see these posts as over the top, or believe those with a gripe as expecting too much. My take is these folks have pursued reasonable remedies and now feel dissed and ignored. The posts they have made are based on facts and in no way cross the line into "bashing". I see no reason for this thread to be closed.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-17-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Quote deleted.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:34 AM

Last edited by sam.spoons; 08-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Not it the slightest, just calling them out for some dodgy gear and poor customer service.

You obviously haven't read the thread, the 'battery drain issue' fault is not with the batteries (although David E has had problems with his new batteries)

No doubt, but that doesn't excuse them from justified criticism.

Not in the S1 Pro, at least not essential ones, or it wouldn't work without the battery installed.

Not sure what your point is here?

Likewise, how is this relevant?
My point is you are being unreasonable. My comments are not that hard to understand if you are willing to try.
  1. Charge the amp the night before you take it out.
  2. Remove a charged battery you want to store and stay charged.
  3. Expect a battery left in any modern device to be discharged by standby processing functions.
  4. Expect sample variation which in this case means standby battery life variation where another sample S1 might do better or worse than yours.

Jon Fields
Old 08-07-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
My point is you are being unreasonable. My comments are not that hard to understand if you are willing to try.

Charge the amp the night before you take it out.
That is not a point. No where in the $600 description of this amp does it say you have to plug it in the night before use. A lot of people wouldn’t buy the crap. Some people *get this* need it to retain a charge because they can’t plug it in the day of or any specific certain amount of days before.

My 2019 Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge does not have this problem. His JBL Compact doesn’t have this problem. Hmm..

It IS a problem, and Bose has handled it poorly. I’m good on voting for that corporation with my dollars at any point in the future. Especially since they are just trying to sweep this under the rug and yet somehow they have people like you still defending them. It’s a joke! It is just a bad look overall. No thank you - I’ll pass. Peace!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
That is not a point. No where in the $600 description of this amp does it say you have to plug it in the night before use. A lot of people wouldn’t buy the crap. Some people *get this* need it to retain a charge because they can’t plug it in the day of or any specific certain amount of days before.

My 2019 Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge does not have this problem. His JBL Compact doesn’t have this problem. Hmm..

It IS a problem, and Bose has handled it poorly. I’m good on voting for that corporation with my dollars at any point in the future. Especially since they are just trying to sweep this under the rug and yet somehow they have people like you still defending them. It’s a joke! It is just a bad look overall. No thank you - I’ll pass. Peace!
You've made the clearest point so far, sell the S1 and buy something else. But before taking a long car trip, do you top off the tank???

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bose, faulty, s1 pro