The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM

Default 2008 Martin OM-21: re-fret or replace?

After a set-up, fret level and polish, my 2008 Martin 0M-21 plays beautifully with a light to moderate touch, but isn't very clean for harder picking. I'm primarily a flat-picker, and so would appreciate the closer bridge string spacing of the post-2012 OM-21, but also love the tone and feel of my 2008.
Any opinions regarding whether to re-fret my 2008 or to replace it with a newer model?
Thanks,
Mike.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:19 PM

If you like the tone and feel of that guitar, I’d refret it. And with stainless so it never needs it again.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:03 PM

If you love the guitar, I would keep it and do the regret. I’m betting with the miles on it, it has some character.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 PM

Tighter string spacing at the bridge isn’t necessarily better for flat picking. There’s a guy who shoots and studies high speed video of top flight guitar players. One video addressed angle of attack and showed that wider string spacing actually promotes efficiency and speed. Why? Because the pick can (cleanly) travel on a shallower path through strings when there is more space between them. A shallower path promotes efficiency of motion leading to greater picking speeds and improved accuracy. Alternatively, when strings are tighter together the pick has to utilize more of the up and down movement to pick cleanly. The more one’s pick moves up and down the less efficient the movement and the slower things get.

Now obviously some people play for a living with tighter spacing, so excellence can be achieved. But it’s not required or even advantageous from a technical standpoint.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Maybe the action is too low for hard picking? That wouldn't be a fret issue and would probably just need a little higher saddle. Have you discussed with the tech who did the setup work?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:23 AM

You love the tone and feel. That's a no-brainer for me, get the new frets.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-19-2018, 07:35 AM

You have the wrong guitar as a flat picker, IMO. I love the tone of a great OM, like yours, but they just can’t pack the punch that a larger body can deliver.

Personally, I don’t like need the dread trade-off to get that added depth and punch, I go with a Grand Auditorium or Grand Concert body. Both (assuming a great build) have plenty of headroom and are balanced across the tonal spectrum and are closer to what you love about the OM.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
You have the wrong guitar as a flat picker,

I agree with the wrong guitar but my "thermo cured adi topped"
TOM-R (OM) Huss and Dalton can do it all. I think you should keep searching for the right guitar.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Tighter string spacing at the bridge isn’t necessarily better for flat picking. There’s a guy who shoots and studies high speed video of top flight guitar players. One video addressed angle of attack and showed that wider string spacing actually promotes efficiency and speed. Why? Because the pick can (cleanly) travel on a shallower path through strings when there is more space between them. A shallower path promotes efficiency of motion leading to greater picking speeds and improved accuracy. Alternatively, when strings are tighter together the pick has to utilize more of the up and down movement to pick cleanly. The more one’s pick moves up and down the less efficient the movement and the slower things get.

Now obviously some people play for a living with tighter spacing, so excellence can be achieved. But it’s not required or even advantageous from a technical standpoint.
Great point, thank you!
Old 04-19-2018, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I would get another guitar. Great tone and feel can be found in other guitars that are better suited for you.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:33 AM

Do you think a Martin certified tech could "restore" my guitar to it's original playability? I don't expect it to play like my d-18, but I could play a little more aggressively prior to the fret level.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaulz View Post
Do you think a Martin certified tech could "restore" my guitar to it's original playability? I don't expect it to play like my d-18, but I could play a little more aggressively prior to the fret level.
Most certified techs could restore your Om-21 playability that would work with any style of picking you will use it for. To replace a guitar of this quality just because it could use a re-fret and some other adjustments seems a little silly. Talk to some people about your issues with this guitar before you get rid of it. Might regret it later on. Also your OM-21 will never play like your D-18 because of all model differences, like tonewoods, body size, age, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Tom
E20 OM-SB Eastman
Old 04-26-2018, 03:25 PM

What do you mean it plays great with a light touch but not a heavy one? Fret buzz if you dig in? Wouldn't that imply an action height that's too low, and not worn frets?

Assuming your frets are beat up and need replacement, you should do it. Else, you'll have to disclose to a potential buyer that it needs a refret - and that'll lower the value of your guitar about what it costs to do the refret. So, you might as well do it. Maybe you'll wanna keep the guitar, maybe you'll wanna sell it - but either way the number of dollars in your pocket will basically be the same either way.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:43 PM

From what I’ve learned here at AGF and the UMGF aren’t OM’s targeted towards fingerstyle more than aggressive strumming ala a dreadnaught?

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 04-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Refret it. I won't do stainless steel frets; I'd do Jescar EVO Gold of your choice of size. Mine are FW9665 which are 0.047"x0.104" EVO Gold frets from LMII. There are other sizes such as 45100, 50090, 55090, 43080...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion