The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I have a D18 and a D35. Both work very well for songwriting. I would probably lean more towards my D18 for that purposes, but the D35 works great too.

In thinking about it, I've probably written more songs with my Guild F50R than any other guitar, and it's bigger than a dread. No problems "leaning over to write" or any such thing. Pick the one that sounds good to you and inspires you. That's all that really matters.

Plenty of folk/country/bluegrass/Americana/rock songs have been written on a dread just as many have been written on larger or smaller guitars (and banjos, ukeleles, mandolins, etc).

So, again, buy what inspires your writing creativity. Anything else is secondary.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM

I'd say mahogany is your friend in that environment, and the three that come to mind for me are the D-18, 000-18 and J-45.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I had a D-18. Unless you have a deep baritone voice it would work well for a singer- songwriter
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexsblues View Post
So I’m on the hunt for a great singer songwriter guitar. I currently play a Martin HD-28, but it just doesn’t quite give me the sound I want. I made a trip down to Gruhn’s today and played a bunch. George Gruhn himself (along with one of the other employees) both said a Martin D-18 is a great guitar for my purposes. I was also looking at the CEO-7. For reference, my style is country folk in the vein of Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark. There’s a bit of the 70’s Laurel Canyon sound in there too. I’d love some opinions! I’ve always thought smaller bodies guitars were best for solo singer songwriters but the D-18 sounded pretty sweet as well.
When I think of contemporary in the style of Van Zandt and Guy Clark, I think modern outlaw country. In that genre Jason Isbell is a big name. His preference has been the D18 for some time. If I were buying a new D18 and had the means, I'd probably buy his signature model. He's blendended appointments from the Authentic line and the mainstream line into one of the best offerings from Martin.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I had a D-18. Unless you have a deep baritone voice it would work well for a singer- songwriter
Actually I do have a deeper baritone voice...
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
It might be partly a psychological thing, but I just haven't bonded with it. It may be the rosewood though. I really prefer the woody sound of Mahogany. I got the HD-28 before I was very knowledgable about guitars and it was at a good used price so I jumped on it.
I agree 100%. With rosewood all I hear is the ring; with mahogany I hear the wood itself sing.

Best thing about the HD-28 is how easily you can resell it.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Why would his being a baritone make the D18 (or any particular guitar) a bad choice?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:13 AM

My guess is that there are few more versatile instruments than a Martin D-18.
If you are happy with a dread size then I think they are close to the Swiss Army knife of guitars and the D-18 would be an excellent singer-songwriter guitar.

Personally, and I know I am probably in a minority, I like the older D-18s that I have tried (pre 2012, I think) a bit more than the newer ones. My favourite was an older D18V I once tried which I reckon was about the perfect all-round guitar. Crisp and clear with plenty of bass and the most comfortable neck I have ever played. I sat in a shop with it and played and sang for about 30 mins. It seemed to be to be just perfect....except that I couldn't afford it! :-)
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

I actually like the newer (2012 and after) D-18's and the older ones for different reasons. I've owned several new D-18's and think they may well be the best value Martin offers. But I found a '62 D-18 with repaired body cracks and a reset neck and refret that is amazing. Also have a 75th anniversary D-18 which is very close to a D-18GE that I really like. There are a lot of variations on a theme here but I seem to like them all...at least the ones I've tried. My playing partner has a D-18V and yes it is a fine guitar. It lacks nothing really? If someone told me to choose I'd have to go with the mahogany Martin's over their rosewood counterparts I believe. Love both but I think the 18's just have my heart?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 04-17-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Why would his being a baritone make the D18 (or any particular guitar) a bad choice?
I my opinion, and that’s all it is, is the newer D-18 has a nice low end that might battle with similar frequencies if the voice also has a deep low end.

It’s kinda like when mixing a recording you try to eq in a way so as to not have instruments or voices compete in the same frequency.

The older D-18 has more of a mid range boat then the post 2012 d18
But it comes down to preference, the ops opinion is what counts.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 AM

Really, any acoustic guitar can be a good singer songwriter guitar. The sound description that you said you are looking for fits well with a D-18. I have had mine for about 4 years, and it works well for singer songwriter stuff. I like J45’s for that stuff too. D-35’s are great too, but I feel like you would get a lot of what you may be trying to get away from, since they sound relatively similar to an HD-28.

A nice thing about a D-18 over some of the smaller guitars mentioned is that it’s great for playing by yourself, yet it works great if you find yourself in a group setting as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:33 AM

Jason Isbell has used primarily D18s for years. He's recently been using an OM for some softer fingerstyle songs, and uses an HD28 as well as a "back up" lol.

I recently got a J45 and love it. It's actually very similar to the D18 in that it has a really nice woody tone, but it's drier sounding than the D18. Great for singing over.

If I had an HD28 and wasn't going to sell it to get another Martin, I'd grab a J45 for the sake of diversity.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Jason Isbell has used primarily D18s for years. He's recently been using an OM for some softer fingerstyle songs, and uses an HD28 as well as a "back up" lol.

I recently got a J45 and love it. It's actually very similar to the D18 in that it has a really nice woody tone, but it's drier sounding than the D18. Great for singing over.

If I had an HD28 and wasn't going to sell it to get another Martin, I'd grab a J45 for the sake of diversity.

Jason Isbell is one of my favorite artists! I’ve been considering a J45, the only problem is I am not currently in the position to purchase one outright. So either I can trade my martin I’m not happy with for a Gibson or a Martin that suits me better. I definitely feel a sense of loyalty to Martin, but I’ve also never owned a Gibson Guitar of any kind and can’t help but wonder if it’s what I need. I need a way to borrow a j45 for a while haha.
Seagull S6 GT
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Jason Isbell is one of my favorite artists! I’ve been considering a J45, the only problem is I am not currently in the position to purchase one outright. So either I can trade my martin I’m not happy with for a Gibson or a Martin that suits me better. I definitely feel a sense of loyalty to Martin, but I’ve also never owned a Gibson Guitar of any kind and can’t help but wonder if it’s what I need. I need a way to borrow a j45 for a while haha.
Understandable! In that case, I would sell the HD28 for either a D18 or D35. I am also more "loyal" to Martin because I do prefer the tone of Martin guitars overall. I'm on a honeymoon phase with my J-45, but as I play it day to day, I do think my ear prefers the D-18 afterall.

I will say that if I ever perform out again, it's J45 all the way!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Understandable! In that case, I would sell the HD28 for either a D18 or D35. I am also more "loyal" to Martin because I do prefer the tone of Martin guitars overall. I'm on a honeymoon phase with my J-45, but as I play it day to day, I do think my ear prefers the D-18 afterall.

I will say that if I ever perform out again, it's J45 all the way!
I think I’m leaning toward the d18. Gruhn’s has a used 2013 in great shape and I think they’ll make a pretty good trade deal!
Seagull S6 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ceo 7, d18, martin, singer, songwriter