The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Default rosette apprehension

Howdy guys I am working on my second completely home designed and built guitar. I am about to install the rosette. I don't have a convenient way to post a drawing, but it is pretty simple;

1-110mm(inside dia.) abalone circle
1-135mm(inside dia.) abalone circle
centers offset .200" (the distance between them is larger on the bridge side than the neck side)
curly maple veneer "in the field" (between the abalone)
walnut/maple purfling on both sides of both abalone rings

I was thinking I would rout/inlay the maple veneer first, leaving it a smidge proud of the final dimensions inside and out, then route the channels for the abalone rings.
I bought a stew-Mac circle cutter jig for the precision base (also bought, for a dremel) On my last guitar I tried to use the dremel base and circle cutter and it is junk and I screwed it up badly, so I hope this works A LOT better.

My question is about the purfling/abalone rings, should I assemble those in a jig(ie pins or brads in a board to make circles) and glue them up first or do you think I will be able to assemble the purfling/abalone during installation? How would you install this particular arrangement of items? What kind of glue should I use for the abalone(I formerly have used all wood and wood glue). I appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:50 AM

I use a jig from lmii, it scrapes a channel rather than routes a channel.

Gives a cleaner fit up imo

Steve

Jig

Up close of fit

Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Solid abalone is usually installed last. Hold space with non-stick plastic strip, install everything but abalone, remove strip and install abalone with CA glue.

For Zipflex abalone, it is installed in one operation and left low. CA fills and covers the Zipflex.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Solid abalone is usually installed last. Hold space with non-stick plastic strip, install everything but abalone, remove strip and install abalone with CA glue.

For Zipflex abalone, it is installed in one operation and left low. CA fills and covers the Zipflex.
I'm aware of the strips, but I don't have any. Wonder if I can chop up an old silicone cutting mat and glue layers together to make one. I need to come up with SOMETHING that is going to work.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM

You could assemble all components in the channels dry and glue when complete. In that case you could use anything to keep the channel open while installing abalone pieces. When satisfied, flood all with CA.

Make sure the top is well sealed with shellac or other sealer so the CA doesn't migrate to unwanted areas.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
You could assemble all components in the channels dry and glue when complete. In that case you could use anything to keep the channel open while installing abalone pieces. When satisfied, flood all with CA.

Make sure the top is well sealed with shellac or other sealer so the CA doesn't migrate to unwanted areas.
I tried something similar (exactly the same) on my last one and even though I lacquered it multiple coats, it still bled through. I wonder if I can inlay the veneer, route the channels for the purfling, wood glue it and THEN route between the purfling for the abalone....? I'm hoping this stew-mac circle jig is really accurate, anybody have one and/or some tips?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:58 PM

I lay it out on a master template.

Then I glue it to some manilla folder as a backing board for assembly into the top

Then cut the shape with a circle cutter

Peel the area away you dont want

I do the same with shell, this is one of mine, fitted to a martin top

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair