The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-16-2018, 08:44 AM

Default Composite Acoustics Series 5 GXi - Opinions

Does anyone own this guitar? I know that it is a discontinued model. I've seen YouTube videos and it looks good but personal opinions are more important.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I owned a new ‘08 GXi in gloss tobacco burst finish from back then until ‘12. A beautiful looking guitar with great finish. Loved the neck, easy to play. Nice, comfortable body ergonomics. Overall, I quite liked it, very pronounced bass, but which could sometimes overwhelm the mids. A tad on the heavy side, as is typical of CAs.

I might still own it if I hadn’t sold it to help fund an Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Given the brand/model options available today, I doubt I’d order another if having the chance. The only CAs I’d personally consider these days are the Cargo (I’ve owned one since ‘08 and still really like it), or maybe an OX. Jmo.

I think Kramster still has one labelled as a series 5, which was the name before GXi was adopted.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 PM

I've owned several of this model and it is my personal favorite carbon fiber guitar. As Acousticado mentioned, is does have a very pronounced bass, and if that resonates with your playing style as it does mine, nothing can compare or replace it. I've owned most of the popular contenders from other makers like the Emerald X20 Opus, Rainsong H-OM1000N2, Blackbird Super OM, and McPherson Sable, and I ended up selling all of them to keep my Series 5i/GXi guitars.

One interesting note is that there is a difference between the pre-Peavey and post-Peavey GXi's, as well as between the finishes. When Peavey took over Composite Acoustics, they altered the bracing and added some beefy support on the neck and soundboard, which results in slightly diminished bass compared to the original ones. This made the tonal difference between the GX and GXi less pronounced in the Peavey models, and I believe robbed the GXi of some of its unique and alluring character the pre-Peavey original ones possessed.

Regarding finishes, the Road Tough finish seems to be more woody-sounding and responsive, versus the gloss finish which is a little thicker and makes the guitar slightly less responsive and gives the tone a little more "glassy/polished" sound. I have both finishes, and prefer the sound from the road tough.

Overall, regardless of whether pre-peavey or post-peavey, gloss or road tough finish, this is an amazing guitar model. They're hard to come by now, and I highly recommend giving one a try if you ever get the chance!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM

I had a 5i and it did have great bass... my good friend heard it and bought one... and the first CA 12 twelve string and I gave him a cargo so he has a nice CA set with matching sound holes and black.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM

Default I have this guitar

Not often I can contribute but I can here. Had mine for about 5 years. It was after Peavey took over. Love it. yes has a mellower sound than my martins. Not as tinny as the Rainsongs I demoed at the time. I compared it to the Rainsong WS's and I liked the sound better. Better to plug it with the fishman than my martins. Give it a listen.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM

Default composite acoustic 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
my good friend heard it and bought one... and the first CA 12 twelve string and I gave him a cargo so he has a nice CA set with matching sound holes and black.
I was wondering what happened to that 12 from the "Couch Series" videos back in the day. Kicking myself I didn't buy one at the time. doc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber