The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM

Default New Guitar Day! Guild F-150 Jumbo (discontinued)

My new guitar just arrived (at 3:35 EDT), and she's BEAUTIFUL! I've already tuned her and played her--I'll tell you what the SECOND song I played was...Paint it Black by the Stones. The action is set up like a Dobros, and it didn't come with any picks. But that's OK, 'cuz 15 minutes of strumming and finger picking and my fingers are KILLIN' me! (I haven't played in 35 years) It's amazing what you can lose in 35 years. I gotta find me a luthier somewhere in the Cincinnati Tri-State to help set the action for me. Darn, I can't believe how SOFT my fingers have become in 35 years of not playing!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Nice one, I like the larger body guitars myself.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-18-2018, 02:44 PM

Happy NGD!!! Congrats on the new guitar and returning to playing!
Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Nice one, I like the larger body guitars myself.

Bruce:

So I see! These jumbos have a fantastic sound! Compared to my J-45, this guitar sings like an Opera star! I got a great deal on this one--$1400 MSRP and I got it for $650! There might be a few more floating around out there. Check out Sam Ash (not a sponsor and not an endorsement). Guild stopped making them, and I estimate there are only around 10 new ones left floating around the country if you want one of your own. I highly recommend them, especially for the sound. But remember, you're gonna have to spend one or two hundred on setting up the action.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
Happy NGD!!! Congrats on the new guitar and returning to playing!
Mark:

Thanks for the thought. I just wish my fingers could keep up with my dreams! LOL!
Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I love my Guild F50R, so I can sympathize with the adoration of a Guild Jumbo! Congratulations on a great new guitar! I hope you can get it setup correctly for your playing soon, then you can start building up those calluses!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:19 AM

Have no fear, your fingers will toughen up in no time! I returned to guitar after 30+ years too, and the first month I actually developed little blood blisters on my fingertips. But I kept playing everyday, and they eventually became nice hard calluses. Welcome back!

Curious....how much of a guitar player were you all those years ago, and what skills did you bring with you across the span of time?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Have no fear, your fingers will toughen up in no time! I returned to guitar after 30+ years too, and the first month I actually developed little blood blisters on my fingertips. But I kept playing everyday, and they eventually became nice hard calluses. Welcome back!

Curious....how much of a guitar player were you all those years ago, and what skills did you bring with you across the span of time?
Denise:

When I was a little boy, I took classical lessons. Lost interest in that, and joined a Folk music group at our Church. But, when I became a teenager, I heard the call of rock-n-roll and joined a group with some fellow students in Middle School. Electric guitar equipment tended to be expensive, and our band broke up because no one would put out the money for a PA. In college, I played guitar and wrote songs instead of going to class. My dad didn't go for that very long. If you held a gun to my head, I would have to say my favorite compilation of works is the Beatles' "Rubber Soul" album. But I also like Simon and Garfunkel, Little Feat, Grateful Dead, CSNY, Clapton, Hendrix, Zeppelin and any of the myriad folk singers from the sixties: Joni Mitchell, John Prine, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Peter, Paul and Mary. If you held a gun to my head again, and asked me who my favorite unplugged performer is, I'd have to say Leo Kotke. That guy is a magician, and I've never heard ANYONE come close to equaling his style. For the past 15 years, I've been listening to classical music: Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, etc., etc., etc....I'd like to transcribe select Bach arrangements for duet guitars. But first, I gotta set up my guitar just to play! How 'bout you?

Last edited by poorArtist; 04-19-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorArtist View Post
Denise:

When I was a little boy, I took classical lessons. Lost interest in that, and joined a Folk music group at our Church. But, when I became a teenager, I heard the call of rock-n-roll and joined a group with some fellow students in Middle School. Electric guitar equipment tended to be expensive, and our band broke up because no one would put out the money for a PA. In college, I played guitar and wrote songs instead of going to class. My dad didn't go for that very long. If you held a gun to my head, I would have to say my favorite compilation of works is the Beatles' "Rubber Soul" album. But I also like Simon and Garfunkel, Little Feat, Grateful Dead, CSNY, Clapton, Hendrix, Zeppelin and any of the myriad folk singers from the sixties: Joni Mitchell, John Prine, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Peter, Paul and Mary. If you held a gun to my head again, and asked me who my favorite unplugged performer is, I'd have to say Leo Kotke. That guy is a magician, and I've never heard ANYONE come close to equaling his style. For the past 15 years, I've been listening to classical music: Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, etc., etc., etc....I'd like to transcribe select Bach arrangements for duet guitars. But first, I gotta set up my guitar just to play! How 'bout you?
Congrats on the new Guild. That is interesting about the classical. My Father-in-law used to conduct and orchestra and one of his concerts featured a young classical player. I forget the pieces he played but it was excellent and it was the first time many of the concert goers in the area had heard classical pieces played on a guitar. He told me later that the guitar he was playing was made my one of the members of the orchestra. who made guitars part time.

And the fingers should be much better in a week and within a month you shouldn't notice them any more. One of these can help with the strength. https://www.samash.com/gripmaster-finger-exerciser-gml
Old 04-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I love my Guild F50R, so I can sympathize with the adoration of a Guild Jumbo! Congratulations on a great new guitar! I hope you can get it setup correctly for your playing soon, then you can start building up those calluses!
Bone digger:

Thanks for your reply. I will tell you one thing: I REALLY lost a lot in the 35 years that I didn't play. MY brain knows where the fingers go, but my fingers have forgotten. Plus I got to deal with the high-action issue. So, I won't be doing any live concerts any time soon. Right now, my fingers are tired and a little bit sore, but happy.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Congrats on the new Guild. That is interesting about the classical. My Father-in-law used to conduct and orchestra and one of his concerts featured a young classical player. I forget the pieces he played but it was excellent and it was the first time many of the concert goers in the area had heard classical pieces played on a guitar. He told me later that the guitar he was playing was made my one of the members of the orchestra. who made guitars part time.

And the fingers should be much better in a week and within a month you shouldn't notice them any more. One of these can help with the strength. https://www.samash.com/gripmaster-finger-exerciser-gml
Steadfastly:

Right now, my aspirations are about 5-10 years ahead of my abilities. I've heard Chris Thile of Nickel Creek on the show he hosts on NPR, Live From Here! and his transcriptions of Bach works for mandolin, violin and double bass, and I am just BLOWN AWAY by the beauty of them. And his mastery of his instrument. If you're open to some real cutting-edge music, I recommend his show (NOT an endorsement). Just last Saturday, one of his guests was David Crosby of CSNY fame. That REALLY took me back!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Steadfastly:

Right now, my aspirations are about 5-10 years ahead of my abilities. I've heard Chris Thile of Nickel Creek on the show he hosts on NPR, Live From Here! and his transcriptions of Bach works for mandolin, violin and double bass, and I am just BLOWN AWAY by the beauty of them. And his mastery of his instrument. If you're open to some real cutting-edge music, I recommend his show (NOT an endorsement). Just last Saturday, one of his guests was David Crosby of CSNY fame. That REALLY took me back!
I'll try and fit that into my schedule and maybe let my Father-in-law know as well.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Denise:

How 'bout you?
Oh, I learned to play around 1972. A boyfriend taught me a couple of chords so that he could solo over me. I learned a lot of 1st position chords just from different people showing me how to play songs. I continued to play, listlessly, for about 10 years. Never played out or anything, never learned barre chords, knew nothing about theory. Finally just put the guitar down. About 2015, retired, it occurred to me that maybe I could play guitar again. I still had the first position chords in muscle memory, which was incredible to me. Other than that, it was like starting all over again. I'm trying to be less of a dilettante this time around.

I like all the music you mentioned, and more. I like a lot of Americana artists like the Milk Carton kids. I love Springsteen and the Beatles and Jeff Buckley and Shawn Colvin, and KD Tunstall...I could go on

Thanks for asking!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

That's a heck of a deal on that guitar. I'm done buying for a good while, but anyone looking for a nice guitar, they still have them in stock at sam ash. $699 for an all solid wood Guild seems a great deal.

Congrats on yours OP!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion