The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-28-2023, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD:Unexpected

Limited run Players Tele in “Oxblood”. Anodized gold pick-guard, Vintage ‘64 pickups, Ebony board. Haven’t had much time with it yet, but it was very resonant and lively. I’m sure I’ll tweak a few things here and there but it’s pretty stellar out of the box.

I wasn’t looking for another guitar. In fact, I’ve whittled down to what I had and was content. I’ve looked at (and played) countless guitars as of late and felt no connection to any of them. Great shops, both local and within considerable distance…nothing. Perusing the web often. And while I enjoyed each moment…nary a quiver. No interest. Nothing. Had I been cured? Idk…kind of? Maybe. Nope. That’s a negative, ghost rider.

I help out at one of our local shops. Filling in as needed. I walk in to help cover a shift today and see… this. I couldn’t get it out of my mind. So much for any “earnings” today. Looks like I’m paying you, local shop. While it does fill a void, I won’t pretend that I NEEDED another guitar. But...in the end I couldn’t leave without it. I may post more pics when we have better lighting. The Oxblood metallic red is phenomenal.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4290.jpg (42.2 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4293.jpg (38.5 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4295.jpg (48.5 KB, 278 views)
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-29-2023, 04:19 AM

That's pretty sweet! Fender doesn't often use ebony for their fingerboards, which is my favorite. An odd-looking combination of colors and textures, but somehow it all works! Nice score!
Old 10-29-2023, 05:13 AM

That really looks great. I love that paint color, and the anodized gold pick guard is perfect with it. The ebony fingerboard brings it all together into a great looking cohesive package. Congrats and well done!
Old 10-29-2023, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

That is a classy looking Tele for sure! I can see why you were attracted to it! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 10-29-2023, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Very nice, I can see why you wanted this one. Whether we 'need' another guitar is not a rational question
Old 10-29-2023, 10:25 AM

I really like the looks of that. Luckily for me, they haven't made it to this part of Hoosierlandia yet.

D.H.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

That is a very nice looking tele! Congrats on the new guitar!
Old 10-29-2023, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
That's pretty sweet! Fender doesn't often use ebony for their fingerboards, which is my favorite. An odd-looking combination of colors and textures, but somehow it all works! Nice score!
Tyvm! The color and Ebony were initial draws for sure. Especially the Ebony board. That alone really had my interest as I love Ebony also, and have no guitars with it. The anodized gold works well with the Oxblood. Interestingly enough. Normally I’m a fan of gold on guitars…never. No offense to those who like gold finishes. It’s just not normally my thing. This altered my opinion a bit. The anodized is a bit more subdued. Less “flashy. Thanks for the kind words and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
That really looks great. I love that paint color, and the anodized gold pick guard is perfect with it. The ebony fingerboard brings it all together into a great looking cohesive package. Congrats and well done!
Agreed, Pappy! I couldn’t let this one go by. There were a few looking at it, one pulled it down to check it out. I couldn’t help thinking, “…just put it down! Don’t touch it! You’re manhandling it!! Ahhhh, don’t put your fingers all over it like that. Come on, man!”.

When he finally put it down I felt instant joy… and pain. I knew he’d done me no favors by putting it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That is a classy looking Tele for sure! I can see why you were attracted to it! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Thank you, Glenn. I agree 100%. Planning on spending some time with her and my looper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Very nice, I can see why you wanted this one. Whether we 'need' another guitar is not a rational question
Thank you. And thanks for the wisdom. How did I not see this sooner? Thank you friend…you have freed me by revealing my own irrationality. I feel better. Need is highly subjective….isn’t it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
I really like the looks of that. Luckily for me, they haven't made it to this part of Hoosierlandia yet.

D.H.
Thank you. Have no fear. I’m sure they’ll find their way to you. You know how these things unfold.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
That is a very nice looking tele! Congrats on the new guitar!
Thank you! You’ve found a few lookers yourself lately. I appreciate you checking it out.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-30-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Limited run Players Tele in “Oxblood”. Anodized gold pick-guard, Vintage ‘64 pickups, Ebony board. Haven’t had much time with it yet, but it was very resonant and lively. I’m sure I’ll tweak a few things here and there but it’s pretty stellar out of the box.

I wasn’t looking for another guitar. In fact, I’ve whittled down to what I had and was content. I’ve looked at (and played) countless guitars as of late and felt no connection to any of them. Great shops, both local and within considerable distance…nothing. Perusing the web often. And while I enjoyed each moment…nary a quiver. No interest. Nothing. Had I been cured? Idk…kind of? Maybe. Nope. That’s a negative, ghost rider.

I help out at one of our local shops. Filling in as needed. I walk in to help cover a shift today and see… this. I couldn’t get it out of my mind. So much for any “earnings” today. Looks like I’m paying you, local shop. While it does fill a void, I won’t pretend that I NEEDED another guitar. But...in the end I couldn’t leave without it. I may post more pics when we have better lighting. The Oxblood metallic red is phenomenal.

Thanks for reading.
Congrats!!!!

What a fantastic looking Tele. That color is really good looking. I love that it came stock with an ebony fingerboard, which is my personal favorite! I love the smoothness in feel, without the stickiness of a maple board! I also think it's great that your guitar came with a 6 saddle bridge, I'm a fan, as think they really help with intonation. In the past, I've swapped out some 3 saddle bridges with 6 saddle bridges when the 3 saddles wouldn't intonate the way I like, and my custom shop Tele came with a 6 saddle bridge stock. You'll have to let me know what you think of the anodyzed pickguard. I have a love/hate relation ship with them, as I love the way they look, but I don't like the way they feel when I brush my fingers against them, or when a pick would click against them.

Your guitar actually it looks like something I would dream up if I was starting another partscaster Tele build. Funny thing, I swapped bodies on a Tele that I recently built, and now I have an extra body and neck lying around, so I bought some parts last night to turn those parts into a finished guitar. I chose the same pickups that you have in your guitar, so I would love to know what you think about the Vintage '64 set!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 10-30-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2023, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The anodized gold works well with the Oxblood. Interestingly enough. Normally I’m a fan of gold on guitars…never. No offense to those who like gold finishes. It’s just not normally my thing.
I think you meant to say you were NOT a fan of gold on guitars. I've heard that a lot and don't quite understand it. With the right combination of colors and hardware, I think gold can be outstanding. There are some things I don't care for (bursts on solidbody electrics, for example) but I won't say "never." I probably just haven't seen the right burst for me.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I think you meant to say you were NOT a fan of gold on guitars. I've heard that a lot and don't quite understand it. With the right combination of colors and hardware, I think gold can be outstanding. There are some things I don't care for (bursts on solidbody electrics, for example) but I won't say "never." I probably just haven't seen the right burst for me.

Perhaps “never” was a bit harsh. I stand corrected. I should’ve said, “typically, I prefer guitars without gold accents or gold hardware, but in this case…I’ve made an exception”. That would’ve been a more accurate statement. I agree that with the right combination Gold can be appealing. Unfortunately, in most cases it isn’t my first, or even 2nd choice. I suspect it’s no different with wood choices, pickup preferences, etc…personal taste and preference.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. The Telecaster is very attractive.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats!!!!

What a fantastic looking Tele. That color is really good looking. I love that it came stock with an ebony fingerboard, which is my personal favorite! I love the smoothness in feel, without the stickiness of a maple board! I also think it's great that your guitar came with a 6 saddle bridge, I'm a fan, as think they really help with intonation. In the past, I've swapped out some 3 saddle bridges with 6 saddle bridges when the 3 saddles wouldn't intonate the way I like, and my custom shop Tele came with a 6 saddle bridge stock. You'll have to let me know what you think of the anodyzed pickguard. I have a love/hate relation ship with them, as I love the way they look, but I don't like the way they feel when I brush my fingers against them, or when a pick would click against them.

Your guitar actually it looks like something I would dream up if I was starting another partscaster Tele build. Funny thing, I swapped bodies on a Tele that I recently built, and now I have an extra body and neck lying around, so I bought some parts last night to turn those parts into a finished guitar. I chose the same pickups that you have in your guitar, so I would love to know what you think about the Vintage '64 set!
Thank you! I agree regarding the saddles and Ebony board. And yes, the Oxblood color is stunning in person! Loaded with metal flake and very “deep”. I just stare at it.

Unfortunately, my schedule has kept me from much playing time. I did add a set of locking tuners and strap locks. I also set it up with .010’s and got it dialed in where I wanted it.

I plan on playing some tomorrow and will get back with you on the pick-guard and pickups. I will say that the brief time I had with them…they sounded great! Warm but not muddy. Bright but not harsh or shrill. So far, so good. More to come on that.

Btw, I’d love to see pics of your Tele(s). I love parts-caster builds!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-04-2023, 02:00 AM

Quote:
....Btw, I’d love to see pics of your Tele(s). I love parts-caster builds!
I've posted most of these before as NGDs, but here they are together.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I've posted most of these before as NGDs, but here they are together.

I do recall seeing the red and green in previous post, but I don’t recall seeing the the other two. Love them all. ESP that purple fella
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars