The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-04-2023, 11:51 AM

Default can't find what i am looking for.

Many years ago, in the 60s, when i was a teenager i bought a cheap guitar at a department store in rhode island called apex. i don't recall the name. it was a hollow body electric with f holes and cutaway. the body was about 4+thick. i thought it was pretty at the time - white with god trimmings. well when i brought it home my grandfather, who taught me to play, got angry, told me it was a cheap guitar, and insisted that i return it. so i did. of late, i have been looking cor a guitar that looked like that one, not necessarily cheap, but a good bargain. it is really all that is missing from my collection and i would like to have one. i've seen a couple of harmonys and kays that are close, but don't really look like what i am after. can anyone give me some advice or steer me in the right direction? thanks
2001 Martin D-28
2023 Martin DX12
2002 Seagull Maritime SWS
2018 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Fusion
2016 Orangewood Echo 12
2006 Ibanez Artcore AK86-DVS-12-01
Old 12-04-2023, 11:54 AM

White Falcon. It ain't cheap by any account. Still one of the coolest guitars ever made.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:58 AM

look for a white Gretch Electromatic 5422TG

I believe this is something that is very close to what you're asking about

I have a Walnut Red one. had they offered white back when I got mine, I think bought a white one myself.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nowcrest-white

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-04-2023, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
look for a white Gretch Electromatic 5422TG

I believe this is something that is very close to what you're asking about

I have a Walnut Red one. had they offered white back when I got mine, I think bought a white one myself.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...nowcrest-white
I have the 5120 (single cutaway). Fabulous guitar for the price. Being a hallow body, it makes for a nice late night unplugged guitar.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 12-04-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
I have the 5120 (single cutaway). Fabulous guitar for the price. Being a hallow body, it makes for a nice late night unplugged guitar.
I know right ? They are crazy good guitars for the money.

I did notice the Gretsch deluxe case has really shot up in price
I think I got mine for $159 when I got my MIK 5422TG (2018??)

they are now a hefty $249!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 12-04-2023, 05:26 PM

If you're just looking for a guitar to add to your collection and aren't concerned with playability, there are a number of white archtop guitars with gold hardware on eBay for between $250 - $400. They are all Chinese knock-offs, and every photo does not show the headstock (probably because they don't want you to know it's a cheap Chinese knock-off), but the rest of them look suitable to put on a display rack. I wouldn't approach actually trying to play one, though...
Old 12-06-2023, 02:05 PM

I can't imagine how anybody could pick up a White Falcon and conclude that it was "cheap guitar"! It's always been the top of the line Gretsch, even when the company itself as a mess.

For that reason alone, I have my doubts about the original being a Falcon.

Did it have a picture of a Falcon on the pickguard? That's a pretty distinctive feature, you'd probably remember it. All Falcons had it, and still do! Unless somebody took off the pickguard, it would have been there.

Regardless and whatever, I'll agree the new Electromatics are a great deal for the money! Well worth checking out.

Good luck with the search!
Old 12-06-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epevets1 View Post
...it was a hollow body electric with f-holes and cutaway. The body was about 4" thick. I thought it was pretty at the time - white with gold trimmings...Of late, i have been looking for a guitar that looked like that one, not necessarily cheap, but a good bargain...
Gretsch Electromatic G5422TG if you're on a budget - under $1K street, and with the right aftermarket parts it can be customized to look enough like a White Falcon to fool most of the pickers in the audience:

Here's the current $3500 Professional Series double-cut center-block version for comparison (or if you have the bucks and want to go all-out on a lifetime guitar):

- and if you're lucky enough to find one, the Gretsch G6136DC "1962 Tribute" White Falcon (a short-lived regular-production model produced circa 2010) ran around $3K last time I saw one for sale - a great deal for a flagship instrument since build quality is impeccable, there aren't too many around to begin with, and most players who prefer the original-style 17" body width (the above instruments are 16" like an ES-335) go for the single-cut '55 and '59 versions:

Old 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
If you're just looking for a guitar to add to your collection and aren't concerned with playability, there are a number of white archtop guitars with gold hardware on eBay for between $250 - $400. They are all Chinese knock-offs, and every photo does not show the headstock (probably because they don't want you to know it's a cheap Chinese knock-off), but the rest of them look suitable to put on a display rack. I wouldn't approach actually trying to play one, though...
maybe you should. they're not nearly as bad as you're implying.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 12-07-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
maybe you should. they're not nearly as bad as you're implying.
You're right, I'm convicting without evidence. I should know better. There are a lot of Chinese-made guitars that are quality instruments (Eastman, for example).

Unfortunately, in space no one can hear you scream, and on eBay, no one can hear you strum.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:30 PM

Say a thanks to your grandfather for steering you right...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars