The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 07:54 AM

Back when that guy who used to run Levis took over Gibson I predicted that given his record of pushing skinny yoga pants it would not be long before we saw a new crop of slim line guitars. Hey, I was only joking.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Comparison is the enemy of contentment.
I like that.
scott
Old 10-29-2020, 08:28 AM

I have tried the G45 as well and don't really like it. Perhaps its the rosewood neck and bridges making it so midrangey. I'd suggest perhaps to sell it. Wait for another opportunity to get something you'll enjoy
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 10-29-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The times when I’ve been in Gibson dealerships I’ve dutifully taken down and played a number of the various Gibson Studio models, but never found any that I liked enough to want to buy them.

I suspect that they record rather well and with their shallower body depth they’re undoubtedly more comfortable to play for players who have shoulder problems and can no longer use a guitar as deep-bodied as a standard J-45.

But the examples that I have played didn’t do much for me from a tonal standpoint.

Everything is a trade-off, I guess.

whm
Maybe I am just Old School, but I remain a fan of the deeper body Gibsons. The Nick Lucas and un-tapered body of the Roy Smeck models quickly come to mind. Even the depth of the J200 started to increase in the late-1940s getting even deeper in the early-1950s. It does seem though that Bozeman has as of late been moving in the opposite direction. But Bozeman has its own ideas as to what sounds and feels best and what will appeal to a modern ear. And that does not necessarily jibe with what the chief engineers and pattern makers in Kalamazoo felt in days gone by. In the end there are only two kinds of guitars out there - those you like and those you do not.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:12 PM

Default Traded my G45 Studio

I traded my G45 Studio and some cash and got a Martin D-16E Mahogany. Like you, I had always wanted a Gibson and thought this was a good solid wood entry level guitar. The G45 had a couple of dead spots on the fretboard. I bought it online without playing it first. I purchased the Martin from a local shop and played every fret before I bought it. No dead spots. I also made sure I could comfortably do all the techniques I wanted to on it (barre chords, fingerstyle, etc.). From now on I will always play before I buy. I instantly bonded with the D-16. The G45 never quite fit.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I bought a new Gibson G-45 Studio back in March. I bought it just because I wanted a Gibson acoustic...

It sells for $999 which includes a really nice hardshell case and free shipping. I know it's Gibson's least expensive acoustic guitar... It sounds "good" but not as good as my Martin which I bought new on sale for $460 (originally $600). My favorite acoustic is my Taylor 814ce though.

I am wondering if I should sell the Gibson or just keep it and enjoy using it when I want to. I love the look of the Walnut back/sides.

It just sounds so thin compared to the 814ce. To be fair, the 814ce was around $3000 in 2006... So I know it's not a fair comparison...

What's interesting to me is that the Gibson sounds pretty good but then when I pick up the 814ce, the difference is just so extreme.

I'll have to give this more thought. But I definitely have enough acoustics for now! The 814ce is really all I need...
I’m a Taylor fan and don’t like Gibson guitars here. I prefer Taylor over Gibson from appearance to sound. I would suggest you to sell or return it and get something else that you enjoy. I have had 4 Taylors and only one of them disappointed me... (only at first) because of the saddle was too low at the first set up, after the second set up and 6 months of ages and is woken up from playing I love it again.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I bought a new Gibson G-45 Studio back in March. I bought it just because I wanted a Gibson acoustic...

It sells for $999 which includes a really nice hardshell case and free shipping. I know it's Gibson's least expensive acoustic guitar... It sounds "good" but not as good as my Martin which I bought new on sale for $460 (originally $600). My favorite acoustic is my Taylor 814ce though.

I am wondering if I should sell the Gibson or just keep it and enjoy using it when I want to. I love the look of the Walnut back/sides.

It just sounds so thin compared to the 814ce. To be fair, the 814ce was around $3000 in 2006... So I know it's not a fair comparison...

What's interesting to me is that the Gibson sounds pretty good but then when I pick up the 814ce, the difference is just so extreme.

I'll have to give this more thought. But I definitely have enough acoustics for now! The 814ce is really all I need...
Whatever. Thanks for sharing, I guess.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:21 PM

Update: I've come to discover that the G-45 is AMAZING for fingerpicking. Some songs sound better with fingerpicking on my G-45 than on my other guitars... For example, the G-45 is my favorite guitar to use for The Beatles' Blackbird...

I guess it's good to have different guitars for different types of playing. My Martin has a much fuller sound for strumming - but this Gibson has such a clear and crisp sound for fingerpicking. I'm enjoying it!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-21-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Update: I've come to discover that the G-45 is AMAZING for fingerpicking. Some songs sound better with fingerpicking on my G-45 than on my other guitars... For example, the G-45 is my favorite guitar to use for The Beatles' Blackbird...

I guess it's good to have different guitars for different types of playing. My Martin has a much fuller sound for strumming - but this Gibson has such a clear and crisp sound for fingerpicking. I'm enjoying it!
Excellent! You've found the strength of your G-45. You can also try tuning down 1/2 step to see if that gives you more of what you're looking for in strumming. Same with trying different string alloys.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:02 AM

I replied and missed one of the posts! Glad to see that you found a niche for the G-45!

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion