The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 12:45 PM

Default A story of buying used guitars at GC

Part 1: I recently purchased a used guitar from GC. I had it shipped to my local store from the store in California. It was a Taylor 322ce, advertised in "Excellent" condition, which GC says is pretty near to new condition. When the guitar arrived, I had it unboxed at the store. The condition was far from excellent, closer to good or even fair. The original pickguard had been removed, leaving a distinct shadow where it once was. A replacement, poor quality transparent pickguard was in its place, but not covering the shadow. The back had 3 or 4 gouges, a very long distinct scratch, and a shorter scratch. I knew I would not keep the guitar, but I took it home to see if I liked the tone enough to buy a different one. One of the strings buzzed in a fashion that made me think it was a problem with the nut. When I removed the strings, I discovered that someone had messed with the nut slots, and some of them were not parallel to the fretboard.

Part 2: I found another Taylor 322ce, this one V braced, on the GC used guitar site. It was also advertised as being in "Excellent" condition, and was the same price as the first one. Before having it shipped to my local store, I called the store that had the guitar in its possession , and asked a salesperson to get the guitar, and go over it carefully, describing what he found, while I stayed on the phone. He did a very good job of it, and when the guitar arrived it was as advertised. In fact, it looked as new. I am very pleased with the purchase.

Part 3: When I returned to my local store to return the original purchase (see Part 1 above), they were very understanding. In fact, they were angry that the original store had advertised the guitar as "excellent." They agreed that it was only in good to fair condition. Their anger was partly due to the fact that they were now stuck with the guitar. They indicated that this issue happened more frequently than it should. I asked for a full refund, to include the original shipping charge to the store, and received it.

Part 4: The next day, I went on the website on my local GC. There was the guitar I had just returned, once again advertised as being in "Excellent" condition. Some other unfortunate person will now have the same experience I did.

MORAL: Do not waste your time on purchasing a used guitar from a GC in a different location unless you first have a salesman take the guitar into his/her hands and go over it carefully with you.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar experience. I found a great-looking Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe listed as "Good" condition and I couldn't reach anyone at the store for an in-hand description. I bought it and when I got it the top was sunken in and they had put a gigantic saddle in to compensate for the sinking top. The stinker of it was that it was an incredible sounding guitar. A cannon. So I tried for 3 weeks to rehumidify it but the top never flattened out so I took it back. They refunded me shipping at least.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:10 PM

I noticed the other day that a LOT of the used guitars on GC's website are advertised as Excellent. It seems like a higher percentage than usual and it made me wonder of someone didn't go in and just mark most of them excellent without even seeing them. I just looked now, and the first 5 pages of guitars are nothing but "Excellent". It seems unreasonable to assume the quality of their used guitars suddenly got that much better than it was a few weeks ago. Something shady is going on there.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:22 PM
Musical minimalist

I had that exact scenario happen with them at least 4-5 times - and that was enough.

I would never buy anything used from them unless it was at my "local" (25 miles away) store where I could hold it in my hands first.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

There are many people willing to pass on their problem. My brother plays French Horn. Pro horns can be $4000 used. Another player loved the sound of my brother's horn, so decided to buy one. It did not sound as good. Sometime later there was a national French Horn convention in the city where he lives, so they both went. The manufacturer reps were there, and they were asked why one horn sounded great and another didn't. They looked at the valve mechanisms and said they were worn but could be fixed at the factory for around $2k. It was listed as in great condition on Craigslist the next day.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I've bought a few used electrics from Guitar Center, never an acoustic. I've played some of the used acoustics at a couple of nearby shops and was never impressed with them. But with the electrics, I always call the store that has it in stock and have one of the sales people go over it with me while on the phone. I generally also ask them to take a few better photos of anything that sounds questionable.

These all went well and turned out well except one. In that case there was a telecaster and the guy described almost every aspect of the guitar's condition. There hadn't been any photos on the website - a new listing I guess. So I asked him for a few, but I ordered the guitar. When I got the photos about 15 minutes later, I saw that the neck pickup had been replaced with a mini-humbucker. Which I wasn't at all interested in. So I called back and cancelled the order. I couldn't believe that he would fail to mention THAT of all things. He was otherwise quite thorough. Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

I generally would rather buy a used guitar from GC than almost anywhere because their return policy is so easy and painless. You're basically buying with zero risk - sometimes you have to eat a $20 shipping charge. I don't know of anywhere else to buy used instruments that you don't get a chance to play first that you're less exposed.

-Ray
Old 10-28-2020, 02:14 PM

I agree with just about everything here. I always try to get at least one person at a GC to look at the instrument. Some time ago I was looking at some cheaper Martins and other instruments. I remember one store listed a guitar at being in "great" condition (a step down from excellent) and the salesperson took a look at it for me and noticed it had an unfixed surface crack or something really, really wrong. She apologized and said they would fix the lisitng. To her credit, the guitar the next day or soon after was marked as "poor". However ... the price was not lowered.

Then again I remember calling a store about another guitar (not a Martin if I remember) and it had something really wrong with it, too, but I forget what it was. Anyway that salesperson apologized and said it would be relisted.

At least two or maybe three months later I again was looking for a guitar and I came across one. The GC store's phone number seemed familar. So I called ... and yep, it was the same guitar, same listing, same price ... nothing had been done.

So yes try to talk to somebody but ... sometimes you have to wait and good luck having somebody call you back. So if you wait you may have somebody else buy the guitar. And, as others have said, if possible have the guitar sent to your local store so somebody there can take a look at it and prove that you didn't somehow damage the guitar. Plus if you don't like it maybe the store staff will jump in and send it back themselves. But it may be what you will have to do that yourself.

Depending upon the store they may help you if you get a guitar with minor problems. At my store when I received my Masterbilt it came without the little neck cover (or whatever that is called). The tech guy found a basic one and put it on for free. When I got another acoustic the tech guy checked it out for neck warping and even (which surprised me) took out the saddle and cut it down a little to improve the action. So great guys at my GC I'd say.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I had just the opposite experience with CME when I recently bought my Collings (see sig). I purchased it directly from the store over the phone, but it was co-listed on Reverb as in just “very good” condition. My sales guy pulled it from the shelf, inspected it and sent me pics. Sure looked like a beauty to him and me...so I pulled the trigger.

I was still nervous when it arrived...but when I opened the case I was stunned. I grab the guitar and inspected every inch. It was gorgeous. I had to look long and hard to even find some light swirl marks. I would have listed it as “excellent” and I’m more than a little OCD with my guitars.

Bottomline: You can trust CME to not inflate the condition of a used guitar.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I had just the opposite experience with CME when I recently bought my Collings (see sig). I purchased it directly from the store over the phone, but it was co-listed on Reverb as in just “very good” condition. My sales guy pulled it from the shelf, inspected it and sent me pics. Sure looked like a beauty to him and me...so I pulled the trigger.

I was still nervous when it arrived...but when I opened the case I was stunned. I grab the guitar and inspected every inch. It was gorgeous. I had to look long and hard to even find some light swirl marks. I would have listed it as “excellent” and I’m more than a little OCD with my guitars.

Bottomline: You can trust CME to not inflate the condition of a used guitar.
I had the same experience with a used D-18GE I bought from CME.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:51 PM

I've bought a couple used from GC. I've taken just as many back.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-28-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I stopped into a GC just the other day. On my quick walk through I noticed an old Stromberg on their counter. I noticed the action was really high and the bridge needed to be put back in place. The sales person said they were waiting to see what they were going to sell it for and offered to call me when they found out. They called me and they are asking about $100 or so above the price I can get on Reverb for one in good playable shape.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Center counts on their liberal return policy to atone for their ridiculously misleading condition descriptions paired with lousy photographs. It's a messy way to do business but they've been doing it so long it's obviously company policy.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:16 PM

Guitar Center is not alone.

There are many stories here about how a member purchased a guitar advertised by an individual as in excellent condition only to be disappointed with the condition upon unboxing. Then adding insult to injury having to fight for a return and refund. At least at GC they will take back the guitar and credit your card on the spot.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Yes, that return policy is the only real reason, other than convenience, that I have purchased used guitars from GC. I bought a used Martin 0028 from them back in June. At that time the return policy was an amazing 180 days. So I still have a couple of months to decide if I will keep it (probably will). But even if I choose to return it, I feel like I have been able to effectively "rent" a high quality guitar for 6 months for only the $20 shipping fee.

The return policy now is still a generous 45 days.

But the return policy is balanced out by the fact that their used prices, especially on Martins, are high, although in accord with other sites like Reverb. But with many Reverb sales there seems like room to negotiate. Not so with GC, where the listed price is the selling price. The Martin I purchased could be bought new from Maury or Ted at the same price I paid used. Given that mine is in very good shape, I'm content for now not to take a chance with a new one.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Yes, that return policy is the only real reason, other than convenience, that I have purchased used guitars from GC. I bought a used Martin 0028 from them back in June. At that time the return policy was an amazing 180 days. So I still have a couple of months to decide if I will keep it (probably will). But even if I choose to return it, I feel like I have been able to effectively "rent" a high quality guitar for 6 months for only the $20 shipping fee.

The return policy now is still a generous 45 days.

But the return policy is balanced out by the fact that their used prices, especially on Martins, are high, although in accord with other sites like Reverb.

Yes ... and no. Consider i bought my Epiphone AJ500MNS with original hard shell case in very good condition for $300. $300! Find me a dealer who will offer that to me at that price. And with a 45-day return policy.

Consider I bought my Alvarez RD20S (with a solid top) and original hard shell case for $99. $99! Find me ... (you know the rest.)

Of course there are some priced waaaaay above what they should be getting but so are the asking prices over at Reverb as you cited. So when you say the used guitar prices are high, whom are you comparing that to? It's not fair to compare them to private sales at Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace I think because these generally offer no returns, or offer returns only for defective products, or offer returns with a high restocking fee. At GC, as others have said, your only loss would be that shipping fee and any applicable state sales tax. Factor all of that in and I think GC's used guitar prices ...in general ... are a good deal often bordering on a great deal.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion