The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2020, 03:50 PM

With all the competition out there now, it seems like they’re just catching up in many respects. I was looking for a a battery operated subwoofer to go with the S1, but nothing. I’m good with my old Bose units, though I’d like to hear that L1 Compact replacement.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
3 different optional deluxe carry bag situations for each model as well, peep sweetwater.com.

Question is would you guys rather lug ~45lbs with your shoulders with the Pro8 or go for the Pro16 which would probably weigh closer to 60lbs but more coverage and spl in a rolling gigbag form:

Or Pro32 it and just carry your sub in? It’s doesn’t make it easy it’s not as clear as 8 is the lighter load in then 16 or 32 ya know? The 16 I’d say is good competition to the EV Evolve 30m judging by the specs though so that’ll be interesting.
I'm seeing just under 40 pounds for the Pro 8 but I take your point--I'd rather wheel anything from that weight and up. With the Compact weighing just 29 pounds, maybe the Pro 8 isn't a replacement per se after all.

Incidentally the L1 Compact has maybe the most distinguished, elegant designs of anything in its class, and while I wouldn't pass on the Pro 8 because of it, it's not as visually satisfying to me.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
With all the competition out there now, it seems like they’re just catching up in many respects. I was looking for a a battery operated subwoofer to go with the S1, but nothing. I’m good with my old Bose units, though I’d like to hear that L1 Compact replacement.
You could say that but I give them credit for watching what the market said and trying to bring a little more to the party too. They know very well that a lot of folks loving the Bose sound and unbeatable dispersion (I dare say unmatched) have been tearing their hair out as other units came on board with features like remote apps and more built-in control of eq, and here they are. Their slimline woofer approach is new, with obvious transport and siting benefits that hopefully don't subtract from the sound, as is their drivers-to-the-floor. Mounting the S1 on top of a bass module is clever, although my first impression is wondering whether it's like attaching a BB gun on top of a howitzer. I also think the loose cable is a little sloppy and I'd rather have it in black, maybe that's an option.

One thing I wonder about is their touting of the instruments you can select in the Tonematches. Have they still not added anything to that list? When I first showed up here a few years ago, that project had stopped years ago.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
With the Compact weighing just 29 pounds, maybe the Pro 8 isn't a replacement per se after all.
It is not. The SPL figure of the Pro 8 matches with the L1S.

I guess the compact replacement will come in a year or two. When the Bose S1 pro sales will decrease.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I have been using an L1c for 9 years and an S1 Pro for almost two years. I really like the form factor and easy toting of the L1c - the only thing it was missing (for me) was reverb. The S1 took care of the reverb, but you have to put it on a stand to reach around the room, and that negates some of the great portability aspect. I have been using the L1c and S1 together.

This L1Pro8 combines the best of those two units and adds more features (like being able to control it from a phone app), as well as being able to plug in a T8 mixer.

I think Bose has a real winner with this new updated line!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Another major improvement: All the L1 Pros can power any Tonematch, including the T8S. A major gripe when the T8S came out was that none of the L1s could power the T8s, so you still had to lug a brick around after spending all that money.

Edit: Well, if you're just powering one tower. If you're doing two, in stereo they recommend using external power supply.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

They don’t seem like a huge leap from the previous generation and I still have my reservations about using an all in one like this but I would like to try them.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
They don’t seem like a huge leap from the previous generation and I still have my reservations about using an all in one like this but I would like to try them.
Well, I guess it depends on what gets rated as huge. Maybe not huge but really a lot?

Much but not all of the differences stem from this line dramatically expanding on the L1 Compact's minor on-board tone controls, compared to the rest of the L1 line having just one built-in 1/4 inch input (plus the Tonematch input) with any further inputs and all EQ depending on external mixers.

With that mind, unlike the previous L1 line the Pro line has built-in:
  • A three-channel mixer with physical controls for its three inputs (Bass/Treble) and reverb on the first two
  • The entire library of pre-set instrument and mic pre-sets on Ch 1 and 2 via the wireless app
  • Physical mute buttons on all channels, via app as well
  • Scene-saving via the app--this is a very valuable feature previously only on the Tonematch mixers
  • Of course the ability to remotely mix from anywhere in the venue via the app, if those three channels are adequate
  • Phantom power option on Ch 1 and 2
  • Channel 3 has a 1/4 inch input jack and mini jack
  • Channels 1 and 2 have combo 1/4 in. and XLR
  • Live/Music/Speech overall EQ setting (how useful, don't know)
  • Enough power in all Pros to power one T8S Tonematch with combo signal/power cable
  • When two subs are paired, a cardioid setting making the bass frequencies more directional, cutting down on feedback from stage signals (they say!).
  • Lay Sub1 or 2 on side, use pole to mount Bose S1 on top (connect w/cable). Or you can just mount separately, the point is they work together
  • Slim sub shape for easier transport and siting
  • Do the B1 and B2 have selectable crossover modes? Mitch mentioned that in a Sweetwater video re the Sub1 and Sub2 but I don't see specs on it.

I also haven't checked to see if the Pro32's 32 2-inch drivers are smaller than the L1M2's 24, which I see described all over the place as... "small."

I think I have the above right, sometimes I get ahead of myself like asking about drivers-to-the-floor which now that I've checked, my L1M2 has.

They really should send Aaron all of them, would save us a lot of time, excepting Aaron.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I guess it depends on what gets rated as huge. Maybe not huge but really a lot?

Much but not all of the differences stem from this line dramatically expanding on the L1 Compact's minor on-board tone controls, compared to the rest of the L1 line having just one built-in 1/4 inch input (plus the Tonematch input) with any further inputs and all EQ depending on external mixers.

With that mind, unlike the previous L1 line the Pro line has built-in:
  • A three-channel mixer with physical controls for its three inputs (Bass/Treble) and reverb on the first two
  • The entire library of pre-set instrument and mic pre-sets on Ch 1 and 2 via the wireless app
  • Physical mute buttons on all channels, via app as well
  • Scene-saving via the app--this is a very valuable feature previously only on the Tonematch mixers
  • Of course the ability to remotely mix from anywhere in the venue via the app, if those three channels are adequate
  • Phantom power option on Ch 1 and 2
  • Channel 3 has a 1/4 inch input jack and mini jack
  • Channels 1 and 2 have combo 1/4 in. and XLR
  • Live/Music/Speech overall EQ setting (how useful, don't know)
  • Enough power in all Pros to power one T8S Tonematch with combo signal/power cable
  • When two subs are paired, a cardioid setting making the bass frequencies more directional, cutting down on feedback from stage signals (they say!).
  • Lay Sub1 or 2 on side, use pole to mount Bose S1 on top (connect w/cable). Or you can just mount separately, the point is they work together
  • Slim sub shape for easier transport and siting
  • Do the B1 and B2 have selectable crossover modes? Mitch mentioned that in a Sweetwater video re the Sub1 and Sub2 but I don't see specs on it.

I also haven't checked to see if the Pro32's 32 2-inch drivers are smaller than the L1M2's 24, which I see described all over the place as... "small."

I think I have the above right, sometimes I get ahead of myself like asking about drivers-to-the-floor which now that I've checked, my L1M2 has.

They really should send Aaron all of them, would save us a lot of time, excepting Aaron.
Lol I was being bad here. Honestly I took a quick look and saw that the app wasn’t as flexible as others and felt disappointed. I need to take a more in depth look. I’ve always love the idea of using one of these at a solo gig.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:07 AM

Glad to see the line being refreshed but like some of the other AGFers said, it feels like it's not enough. For claiming that they've worked with musicians to find out what they really need - this doesn't seem like an adequate response. Hopefully some of these advancements trickle down to their S1 product line soon!

Last edited by necrome; 10-28-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Lol I was being bad here. Honestly I took a quick look and saw that the app wasn’t as flexible as others and felt disappointed. I need to take a more in depth look. I’ve always love the idea of using one of these at a solo gig.
One thing I strongly dislike is that once again, there's no master volume control. I don't understand why this basic, widely desired feature isn't included. Especially now with three inputs why are they forcing folks to interact three times instead of once when crowd size goes up and down? Nuts.

The slim form + stick also looks tippy, though somewhere in the literature they reference bottom-weighting. I would have preferred a different solution. For the Pro32, they're going with something like the old wide disc instead of the slick, easier-to-transport foldout feet.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
One thing I strongly dislike is that once again, there's no master volume control. I don't understand why this basic, widely desired feature isn't included. Especially now with three inputs why are they forcing folks to interact three times instead of once when crowd size goes up and down? Nuts.
The L1 mII was meant to work with a T1. I guess they expect people to buy T4s in order to get this kind of feature.

At least they added mute.

Note that this kind of feature could be added in future apps update... It is like the parametric mids... Bose sticks to their philosophy.

Somehow, if every musician has his own L1, the master volume becomes useless.

I wonder how many bands actually use L1 this way.

JBL next move is going to be interesting. I think it is Also worth waiting for the Bose L1c update. Hope it won’t take 3 years....
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-28-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Interesting and deserves looking into for sure--Bose Does It Again In The Line Array Game!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-28-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Excellent point. My duo plays through my T1 mixer and then into either an L1 Compact or L1M2, depending on the venue. Once I have the 3 channel mix set, I really don't want to touch that mix. I often need to change the overall volume and am thankful for the master volume on almost every gig. To leave this out is a major omission in my view.

And then there's the prices vs. the competition... When I bought my original Bose L1 (eventually to become the Classic), there was no competition. And there wasn't for years. When the power supply in that died and couldn't be repaired, I paid a very reduced price for the L1M2. I paid $500 for my used L1 Compact. Would I spend the money they're charging for these today? Probably not.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The L1 mII was meant to work with a T1. I guess they expect people to buy T4s in order to get this kind of feature.

At least they added mute.

Note that this kind of feature could be added in future apps update... It is like the parametric mids... Bose sticks to their philosophy.

Somehow, if every musician has his own L1, the master volume becomes useless.

I wonder how many bands actually use L1 this way.

JBL next move is going to be interesting. I think it is Also worth waiting for the Bose L1c update. Hope it won’t take 3 years....
The mute-per-channel is a nice touch.

Somehow, if every musician has his own L1, the master volume becomes useless. I wonder how many bands actually use L1 this way.

Few! I've seen a lot of L1s in my area, either the Compact or the L1 M2. Now that you mention it, I've never seen more than one at a time, even though I've seen lots of duos, including a fairly popular one around here driving two vocals and two guitars (including electric) through one Compact. I have seen L1 M2s boosted with other units, like a dedicated box amp for electric guitar. But never more than one Bose stick.

I think in the main promo Sweetwater video, there's talk about all the inputs and power in say the Pro32 being a benefit for groups, plural, which is different than the one-stick-per-musician case that Bose promotes as its ideal for the original L1 line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification