The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default HPF, -10db pad, useful for guitar?

I apologize if this is a silly question! I purchased some Okatava MK-012 mics and they come with multiple capsules, and also include a -10db HPF pad. For recording acoustic instruments, would you use the pad or not? I am leaning towards the cardiod capsule, but not sure if the pad is useful?

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2020, 09:37 PM

I would use that pad if I was recording drum overheads, or near any loud source, like maybe an electric guitar amp, when overdubbing a guitar solo over your acoustic rhythm, but for straight acoustic and vocal parts you won't need it.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I apologize if this is a silly question! I purchased some Okatava MK-012 mics and they come with multiple capsules, and also include a -10db HPF pad. For recording acoustic instruments, would you use the pad or not? I am leaning towards the cardiod capsule, but not sure if the pad is useful?

Thoughts?
The -10db switch is a pad, not a high pass filter. In most cases, the answer to your question is 'no.' Typically, a pad is used when the source is overly loud. So unless you're really wailing away on your guitar, you probably don't need the pad. But do a test recording both ways. You may prefer the result with the pad.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-26-2020, 04:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Many mics offer both a -10db pad, to reduce the overall level at the mic and a High Pass* Filter (HPF) to filter out low frequencies. The HPF can be useful to get rid of A/C rumble or distant traffic rumble. An acoustic guitar is a very quiet instrument and typically doesn't need to be padded down. The way you can tell if you need a -10db pad is if you pull down the level of the signal at the preamp or interface and the signal is still distorted. If you insert the pad and the distortion goes away, you've solved the problem.

Bob

* Forum software sensors the word "pass" if you make the P bold.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Yes, that's a pad. You can get what they call a "Low Cut" filter for around $45. Oktavausa.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD