The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 02:50 PM

Default Guitar Prices Going Up?

I bought a new Taylor 324ce in May. I was in to the local dealer's store the other day and noticed that the list price fo this model has gone up $300, roughly 10%. I checked some other Canadian online stores and all except for one are showing the increased price, including Amazon.ca. Don't know if this is a Taylor factory increase or Canadian currency fluctuation or...

Are guitar price increases only in Canada? Only Taylor?

Taylor 324ce
Taylor Academy 10
Yamaha FGX800C
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-25-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I bought a 324ce in April 2019, so about 1.5 yrs ago. The list price at that time was $2199 USD. That appears to be the current price in the US.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post
I bought a new Taylor 324ce in May. I was in to the local dealer's store the other day and noticed that the list price fo this model has gone up $300, roughly 10%. I checked some other Canadian online stores and all except for one are showing the increased price, including Amazon.ca. Don't know if this is a Taylor factory increase or Canadian currency fluctuation or...

American guitar prices in Canada are high due to the low value of the Canadian dollar against the US ($1 US = $1.32 Canadian and then you need to add on the exchange fee which is 2-3 points). But, $300 increase for a Taylor 300 series in 5 months is a lot. I wonder if it's lack of supply that caused the store to raise the price?
Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

There has been a lot of discussion about this on various guitar forums and FB. As I am a sometime member of NAMM, I also get updates from the industry about this subject. In short, yes, prices have increased on some brands and models primarily due to supply issues related to Covid. But not all companies. An interesting post I read recently from a Martin dealer said that they have been informed that sometime around the 1st of the year Martin will no long put the "list" price on their (crappy and hard to navigate) web site. They will only put MAP and dealers will be free to charge whatever discount they want (but still cannot advertise prices below MAP). This is no doubt in response to the thinly veiled secret that quite a few legit and respected dealers have been selling Martins at 38% - 40% off "list" for a long time. I am certain that the big boys will scream about this but it can only be good for consumers, in my opinion anyway - and probably for those dealers when people do more research. I always feel sorry for buyers who don't do their homework and end up paying MAP from the big boys when they could have saved hundreds by dealing with those dealers who discount further, then think they can sell a guitar - which may be very nice but not particularly rare or collectable - for close to what they paid from the big online retailers.....when in fact a brand new one with lifetime warranty can be had for less.

But in spite of all this, guitar sales are very robust right now due at least in part to people having more time on their hands and looking for a new or revisited hobby due to Covid restrictions. Does this translate into higher prices? In some cases, yes, but in many others, no - and I have seen instances of sellers using Covid shortages as an excuse to overcharge for a run-of-the-mill instrument.

All I'm saying I guess is: do your homework!
Old 10-26-2020, 09:32 AM

I agree a big part of is Covid related. As said earlier people are either taking the opportunity to learn an instrument or start back up with one. Higher demand, higher prices.

Material availability also plays into the equation.

There is a Pawn Shop that I go into once about every six weeks. It is about 2 hours away from me and due to other activities I am there to kill some time.

Before Covid they typically had between 24 and 36 guitars hanging on the wall. A mix of acoustic and electric. The last 2 times I have been there the inventory has been in single digits.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-26-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
American guitar prices in Canada are high due to the low value of the Canadian dollar against the US ($1 US = $1.32 Canadian and then you need to add on the exchange fee which is 2-3 points). But, $300 increase for a Taylor 300 series in 5 months is a lot. I wonder if it's lack of supply that caused the store to raise the price?
Yabbutt... the exchange rate hasn't changed much since May, actually since a year or more. Almost all dealers were selling for $2799CDN in May are now listing the 324ce for $3099CDN. I don't know if this increase is across the whole Taylor line as I don't remember what other models we previously selling for.

Taylor 324ce
Taylor Academy 10
Yamaha FGX800C
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
<SNIP>... I always feel sorry for buyers who don't do their homework and end up paying MAP from the big boys when they could have saved hundreds by dealing with those dealers who discount further...<SNIP>
Unfortunately in Canada neither the big national chains (ie Long & McQuade, Cosmo, etc) nor the smaller shops that I've dealt with here in eastern Canada will vary off their list guitar prices. I've gotten deals on other items but not on any of the 4 guitars I've purchased over the past 4 years. If we order from a US dealer after exchange and shipping the cost is usually more than we can get locally. I'd rather support our local brick and mortar shops anyway, whether nation outlets or Mom and Pop shops just to keep them open.

Taylor 324ce
Taylor Academy 10
Yamaha FGX800C
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-26-2020, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
They will only put MAP and dealers will be free to charge whatever discount they want (but still cannot advertise prices below MAP). This is no doubt in response to the thinly veiled secret that quite a few legit and respected dealers have been selling Martins at 38% - 40% off "list" for a long time. I am certain that the big boys will scream about this but it can only be good for consumers, in my opinion anyway - and probably for those dealers when people do more research. I always feel sorry for buyers who don't do their homework and end up paying MAP from the big boys when they could have saved hundreds by dealing with those dealers who discount further, then think they can sell a guitar - which may be very nice but not particularly rare or collectable - for close to what they paid from the big online retailers.....when in fact a brand new one with lifetime warranty can be had for less.
I see this all the time. And if someone tries to negotiate a more fair used price (50% of list) they call them lowballers or claim people are lying about the 40% discount on Martins. Heck, I'd probably be mad too if I'd paid more than $1000 more for my HD28 than I did (I Paid $2280 delivered, If I'd bought from Guitar Center it would have been $3315 after taxes). But I did my research before buying my first new Martin so I didn't get caught with my pants down. If someone doesn't want to learn and instead chooses to overpay at Guitar Center or Sweetwater and plug up their ears then so be it. I'm not gonna hold their hand. I'm also not going to buy a used guitar from them. Thank god for AGF
Old 10-26-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
<SNIP<...Higher demand, higher prices....<SNIP>
Except all local stores and national online chains (except one) are selling for the same price - now $3099CDN for the 324ce. Makes me think the increase must be in their cost from Taylor rather than opportunism because of demand. Again, don't know if it's the whole Taylor line that has increased or just this model, or all manufacturers.

Taylor 324ce
Taylor Academy 10
Yamaha FGX800C
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 10-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Some guitars have gone up in price but others are holding the prices to what they were a year ago.

I also see a wide difference in prices for the same model guitar at different dealers.
Shop around for your best prices.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrowNB View Post

I’ve noticed the same here in Canada. In recent weeks, for example, I’ve observed an almost 600 dollar bump in price on my LL56 Yamaha. LL36 went up approx 400-450 and the LL26 went up 300 or so.

I don’t think any similar bumps in the US are occurring. Gotta pay the tax for being a Canadian
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-26-2020, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Be advised, some of those Martin dealers that used to give 40% in the past are not doing it now due to low inventory and delayed restock.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
Be advised, some of those Martin dealers that used to give 40% in the past are not doing it now due to low inventory and delayed restock.
Good thing I'm all about buying used
Old 10-27-2020, 09:32 AM

Don't forget that list prices go up almost every year, even in normal circumstances.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:25 AM

In the most recent edition of Wool & Steel quarterly I received yesterday, I read that because there was an increase in demand and Taylor plant had to close last May, their inventory dropped so that they they had to look at second category spared woods to launch a new less expensive series (as they had incoming woods problems).
So a relative shortage and financial burden in local dealers could explain price increase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion