The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-14-2020, 05:36 AM

Default Stereo bar versus 2 mic stands . . .

I try to diligently use the Search function to get answers and not waste people's time, but haven't found the answer to this scenario and question -

Basic starter acoustic recording set-up:
- 2 X AT2020 into Focusrite 2i2 into Reaper

I have spec'd 2 X K&M mic stands into the set-up, but wonder, for basic stereo recording, if a stereo bar attached to a single stand provides equivalent functionality, acoustics, etc?

Savings would be physical space - not concerned about the cost difference that much.

Is this even a valid question? Thoughts?
Old 10-14-2020, 05:55 AM

It's a fair question and one I have looked at. From my perspective the advantage of one stand and a stereo bar is ease of use and better positioning of mics from the perspective of equal distance from the guitar - the disadvantage is that generally I want my mics wider than the 30-35cm most bars seem to offer.

I have one and use it on occasion with the mics angled out to give a wider spread, but generally I revert to two stands and the ability to control position and width better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-14-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

If you put 2 LDCs on a bar at the end of a boom, you'll want some sandbags, unless you start looking at some serious stands (the kind with those really big, triangular, cast iron bases).
Old 10-14-2020, 07:20 AM

Although 2020's aren't technically LDCs they are still beefy mics. As stated, that can present a problem with trying to use them with a stereo bar.

Two stands give you more options but are more difficult to use if you find a position you like. All those legs for two tripod stands end up getting in the way of our legs. Way too many legs!

I found that making my own positioning arms to mount on a conventional stand provided a better solution for stereo miking if I wanted to use the greatest number of options.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I use two sdc mics for stereo recording of my guitar. If I was using X-Y or ORTF setup a stereo bar (which I have) would probably be the way I'd go. However, I much prefer an A-B spaced pair setup, so I use 2 separate mic stands. This allows me to easily change the spacing between the mics, and also allows different heights. It is a bit more of a pain for changing the distance from the guitar compared to a single stand. In order to minimize the issue with legs of 2 stands interfering with each other I use stands with heavily weighted circular bases.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
If you put 2 LDCs on a bar at the end of a boom, you'll want some sandbags, unless you start looking at some serious stands (the kind with those really big, triangular, cast iron bases).
That's really the most important consideration. If the stand isn't stable enough to protect your mics on a mic bar, don't use a mic bar. I don't trust the kinds of stands Rudy4 has in his photos. It's a lesson I learned when my Blue Kiwi face-planted off one of those type stands. I sent it off to Blue and I was lucky that all that need addressed was the dented grill but lesson learned. I gave away all my mic stands and bought stands that I'd trust with any mic I own.

Ultimate Support MC125
I own two of these boom stands. The base weighs a ton and they're **** near impossible to tip. A nice thing about these are the casters which make them really easy to move around the room.

Atlas Sound MS25

This is another incredibly stable stand and it's the one I bought while waiting
for my Kiwi to come back home.

Some months back when I loaned my Flea 47 to a friend of mine to do some shootout videos, I made him borrow a stand too, and made him swear my Flea would ONLY go on that stand. Mics are an expensive investment. I'm taking no more chances.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
I try to diligently use the Search function to get answers and not waste people's time, but haven't found the answer to this scenario and question -

Basic starter acoustic recording set-up:
- 2 X AT2020 into Focusrite 2i2 into Reaper

I have spec'd 2 X K&M mic stands into the set-up, but wonder, for basic stereo recording, if a stereo bar attached to a single stand provides equivalent functionality, acoustics, etc?

Savings would be physical space - not concerned about the cost difference that much.

Is this even a valid question? Thoughts?
Completely valid question

And the answer is not all that complex

2 mic stands will provide greater versatility
1 stand and a stereo bar will provide more convenience

Me personally I have two stands and a stereo bar and so have even more options

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-14-2020, 11:44 AM

I've got so many stands, its not even a question! And I have sandbags to keep things upright too!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-14-2020, 12:11 PM

Another option is a stereo mic like the Audio Technica AT5050ST.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Although
I found that making my own positioning arms to mount on a conventional stand provided a better solution for stereo miking if I wanted to use the greatest number of options.

That is super Cool! Being a wood worker of sorts...I may just have to make one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
If the stand isn't stable enough to protect your mics on a mic bar, don't use a mic bar.

Ultimate Support MC125

Atlas Sound MS25

This is another incredibly stable stand and it's the one I bought while waiting
for my Kiwi to come back home.

Some months back when I loaned my Flea 47 to a friend of mine to do some shootout videos, I made him borrow a stand too, and made him swear my Flea would ONLY go on that stand. Mics are an expensive investment. I'm taking no more chances.
Got to agree with Jim1960....I also own Three Atlas stands like these. Really worth it for the safety factor.
Now Here is another way...to cheat and save a little money and still be super safe. Here is something I was doing a couple of years ago: Two boom arms, on one heavy duty stand. Now this works...and will save you the cost of one mic stand. Also takes up less room.
For now..I am going back right now to individual mic stands. This just gives a slightly faster set up. Since I will be doing lots of experimentation with placement coming up...two individual stands just is faster to adjust. However...once I find the perfect set up...I might go back to my one mic stand two boom arm set up. Takes up less room.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
That is super Cool! Being a wood worker of sorts...I may just have to make one of those.

Got to agree with Jim1960....I also own Three Atlas stands like these. Really worth it for the safety factor.
Now Here is another way...to cheat and save a little money and still be super safe. Here is something I was doing a couple of years ago: Two boom arms, on one heavy duty stand. Now this works...and will save you the cost of one mic stand. Also takes up less room.
For now..I am going back right now to individual mic stands. This just gives a slightly faster set up. Since I will be doing lots of experimentation with placement coming up...two individual stands just is faster to adjust. However...once I find the perfect set up...I might go back to my one mic stand two boom arm set up. Takes up less room.

Do you have a picture of this set-up?
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2020, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
Do you have a picture of this set-up?
Thanks.
In this picture is the one Atlas mic stand...with a small bar and two boom arms fixed.
Basically this just allows you to use one mic stand as if it were two. You can pretty much do everything you could with two separate stands. Just takes a little bit longer to adjust...as you have to angle the arms and angle the mics.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 PM

I'd strongly recommend two mic stands, given your setup (which is similar to what I used on my last batch of recordings--I had two AT2035s, but the observations hold). If you're going to use a coincident (X-Y) mic technique for stereo, you'll want to position the mics so that they're vertically stacked (top to top) with the grilles almost touching each other. If you're using any other kind of standard stereo array like NOS, ORTF, or DIN, you'll need to control the angle and capsule distance to a degree that'll be hard to accomplish with a standard stereo bar. Plus there's the weight and balance issues you'll run into with most mic stands if you're putting two LDCS on it.

Spare yourself the headaches, get two mic stands, and if and when you decide to get a multipattern mic and try M-S recording, you'll be ready to go.

Trent
Old 10-15-2020, 03:26 PM

Thanks to all who have responded - Not surprisingly, there is a ton of information in the responses I will need to glean and digest a bit, but it was exactly the perspectives I was looking for.

Well done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD