The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-18-2010, 07:40 AM

Smile Gwaltney LS Redwood & Cocobolo!

Finally ordered a custom build from Greg after many e-mails back and forwards and recommendations from Jim Tozier and fellow acoustic forum members and Gwaltney owners....

Mine will be:
LS Redwood top
Cocobolo B&S
Mac Ebony bindings
Flamed Koa purflings
Scoop bevel
Gotoh 5:10 tuners
Scale 25:7
14 frets
Carbon fibre rods
Ameritage Case

Should be ready for next Christmas - a loooooo-ong 12months wait.
Hope to post some build photos and more info as build progresses....

If you're listening ..Thanks Greg, Its gonna be a real peach of a guitar,,hope Joel Stehr 's cool about my wife's choice of his rosette design. Let me know when you make a start...even if its only moving the raw timber nearer to the workbench!!!!!!

Dadgood alias Heath..

Last edited by Dadgood; 12-05-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Awesome! Cocobolo and LS will be a super combo. LS redwood is some amazing stuff, for sure. I wish I had piles of it!

Which rosette design are you going for? I'm sure I have a patent pending on it Seriously, no worries! I'm honored! Post pics when you can. Greg is going to build you a master piece!

Joel
Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM

Welcome, Joel. You finally made it. :-)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Stehr View Post
Awesome! Cocobolo and LS will be a super combo. LS redwood is some amazing stuff, for sure. I wish I had piles of it!

Which rosette design are you going for? I'm sure I have a patent pending on it Seriously, no worries! I'm honored! Post pics when you can. Greg is going to build you a master piece!

Joel
Hi Joel:

Thanks, yeah its gonna be a real beauty and extra special coz I feel something of me will have helped create it!

Re: sound hole rosette, my wife loves your 4 offset ring border design almost making a kind of Celtic pattern. I think Greg's gonna have a go at creating this or something similar.....I perhaps will ask him to make the circles slightly wider so as to help show the cocobolo and koa woods in these! ...at least thats the plan anyways!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 PM

...and dadgood, congratulations to your choice of builder(s)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great wood combination. Can't wait to see the progress. By the way, how did you settle on that combination? What is the body style?
Old 11-18-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
If you're listening ..Thanks Greg, Its gonna be a real peach of a guitar,,hope Joel Stehr 's cool about my wife's choice of his rosette design. Let me know when you make a start...even if its only moving the raw timber nearer to the workbench!!!!!!
Hey Heath, I'm here, yes it is going to be a great guitar and a blast to build, and Joel's rosette design is very cool, I might just have to give him a call to talk shop. Well, I did tap the LS redwood the other day(sounds fabulous), and I set aside the Cocobolo B/S set for you

A little closer each day!!
Greg
Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg View Post

Greg
Hope not only on this guitar, Greg
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Hope not only on this guitar, Greg
Hi Karl......yeah, I'll be putting in a decent amount of time on your's over the next 7 days, should make some good progress........Heath, I promise to get to your's just as fast as I can, a Christmas present I will deliver

Cheers,
Greg
Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Talking

Quote:
Hi Karl......yeah, I'll be putting in a decent amount of time on your's over the next 7 days, should make some good progress........Heath, I promise to get to your's just as fast as I can, a Christmas present I will deliver

Cheers,
Greg
Thanks Greg,
Good to know its all in the pipeline as they say! and my woods are set aside, no rush, well apart from Christmas next year I mean Ha,

Big Cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks ! Can't wait.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Sounds like a great wood combination. Can't wait to see the progress. By the way, how did you settle on that combination? What is the body style?
Well I was gonna go with a Mac Ebony and sinker redwood but after some careful thought, discussion, advice and the 'looks' I settled on Cocobolo .....its kinda a good combination of a rosewood and exotic timber in my eyes. In the end, thought, yeah thats a combo I'm happy with! Bodywise, I suppose you would say a mini-jumbo /auditorium with bout dimensions of 15.75' and 11.5'

Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Hey Heath, I'm here, yes it is going to be a great guitar and a blast to build, and Joel's rosette design is very cool, I might just have to give him a call to talk shop. Well, I did tap the LS redwood the other day(sounds fabulous), and I set aside the Cocobolo B/S set for you

Greg
Cool! yeah, very happy with wood combo. The Rosette will be awesome - now have two experts working on it !!! One day at a time....

PS.

If you could post any pics up here as the build develops that would be great...so I can share my excitement! - Thanks Greg.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Heath, I had Tim McKnight build an LS redwood/cocobolo guitar a few years ago, and if your current build with Greg comes out similarly, you'll be ecstatic: dark, rich tone and sustain that competes with the Energizer Bunny.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
If you could post any pics up here as the build develops that would be great...so I can share my excitement!
Will do, I'll look for the pics of the woods already chosen to add here.

Greg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop