The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I had the same problem when I first assembled mine. Then I realized I had the backrest set too far forward and it was pushing me out of the sweet spot on the seat. Adjusted the backrest and my SoundSeat has been blissfully comfortable ever since...
Thanks Rev, but I’ve tried every position and nothing helps.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-28-2020, 07:12 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Thanks Rev, but I’ve tried every position and nothing helps.

Bummer. Sorry it didn’t work for you. SoundSeats are great once you dial them in...which can be a challenge. Have you called Bretta? She might be able to walk you through it.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I went through a number of chairs before getting my Soundseat. Bretta is wonderful to work with and she can help you get the right size and options. Next to my guitars it is the best investment that I have made in support of my music.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-28-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Another happy soundseat user here.

Before the soundseat, I used a basic Fender guitar stool, which I still have and keep in a room I don't usually play in but do occasionally. Turns out I'm really picky about the football. It's gotta be far enough extended out from the seat that my knee hits at kind of a right angle - if the diameter of the rail isn't considerably larger than the seat itself, I'm not comfortable. I've had a number of barstools that could have been OK, but the foot support was too far back under the stool. Both the Soundseat and Fender stool are good in this regard.

I was pretty happy with the Fender stool, but the distance between the seat the footrail is a little too short, such that my knee is raised up pretty high. I'm comfortable enough playing that way, but after a longish session, when I stand up, it takes my knee a while to get comfortable unbent - I guess this is part of getting old. There's a taller fender stool, but there the seat it too high relative to the footrail, and that for me is a worse problem than not high enough.

But the soundseat is fully adjustable so I have just where I like it. We spend three months a year near our daughter on the North Carolina coast and I keep a Fender stool down there. The Soundseat breaks down for travel, but it's still bigger and bulkier than I want to transport regularly and it actually takes up too much room for the limited space we have in the place we rent down there. So I deal with the Fender stool for those three months, and it's not bad, but the soundseat is one of the things i'm happiest to get back to when we get back home.

-Ray
Old 10-28-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I love my soundseat. It has the rail and footplate but I took advice from another user here and replaced my footplate with a larger version which helps with ankle angle. However, I'm considering getting another one where both my feet are on the ground to see if I might like that one better.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:15 PM
Guest 33123

I looked pretty seriously at one of these a few years back but ultimately decided against it: https://brianboggschairmakers.com/sonus-guitar-chair/
Old 10-28-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I have 3 of something like these that I used for over 20 years before I transitioned to standing up almost all the time that I play. I still use the collapsible stools from time to time when I sit down to play, which is not too often.

https://www.amazon.com/GOTEK-Home-Fo...932741&sr=8-15
Old 10-29-2020, 05:43 AM

I ordered my SoundSeat a couple of days ago. Darn, this forum costs me money! But I really appreciate the reviews from y'all. I have a Roc 'n' Soc that I just haven't bonded with and have been looking for a replacement. Should be here in a couple of weeks . . .
Old 10-29-2020, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZ View Post
I ordered my SoundSeat a couple of days ago. Darn, this forum costs me money! But I really appreciate the reviews from y'all. I have a Roc 'n' Soc that I just haven't bonded with and have been looking for a replacement. Should be here in a couple of weeks . . .
What options did you go with? Foot plate, rail, lift size?
Old 10-29-2020, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I looked pretty seriously at one of these a few years back but ultimately decided against it: https://brianboggschairmakers.com/sonus-guitar-chair/
No price listed? That always makes me leery.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
What options did you go with? Foot plate, rail, lift size?
I went with the rail and foot plate with mid back. The lift size was 140MM.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I love my soundseat. It has the rail and footplate but I took advice from another user here and replaced my footplate with a larger version which helps with ankle angle. However, I'm considering getting another one where both my feet are on the ground to see if I might like that one better.
After about a year with my SoundSeat, I felt the “lift” wasn’t quite the perfect height for me. (I like feet just a tick higher than dead-flat)
I called up SoundSeat and ordered a slightly longer hydraulic lift (I think it was about $35 or so)
-Height is perfect now!
Old 10-29-2020, 10:17 AM

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. JMHO, of course.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-29-2020, 11:18 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. JMHO, of course.
Brian's prices do tend to elicit a strong reaction.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion