The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 PM

Personally, I really really like my D'Addario Micro Headstock Clip-On. I just let it live on the guitar and it has yet to let me down.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:58 PM
Eric Skye

Another view for the Uni-Tune
Old 10-29-2020, 05:58 AM

Another vote for the TC Polytune.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Great thread. I was thinking about getting a Peterson tuner till watching the moustached gentleman’s review of all the clip-on tuners. Looks way too complicated for me.
I'm a fan of Peterson. I have the StroboClip HD and it's easily the best clip-on tuner I've ever used. If you want a good tuner, I wouldn't rule it out just because it's complicated. I actually think it's quite simple to use and understand. What's more complicated is how many options it offers. You may not want all of the options right now, but it's still an outstanding tuner.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:28 AM

I've been using a Cool brand tuner for about 3 yrs. now. It is magnetically attached to the clip so you can remove it attach it to anything magnetic. I find it is the best tuner for a banjo attached right to the metal j hook brackets. Also it will stick to the tuners in several positions. It is very responsive and has 6 or 7 different instrument settings. Also does flat settings USB charged around $30
http://www.coolmusicinc.com/portfolio-items/t-01-tuner/
Old 10-29-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
TC Unitune.
After buying just about every tuner out there, I think the best tuner for the money and the easiest to use with the least frustration is the TC Unitune.

I use a Peterson StroboClip a lot too, but from what I have read, their displays drive a lot of players crazy.

- Glenn
Old 10-29-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays View Post
Personally, I really really like my D'Addario Micro Headstock Clip-On. I just let it live on the guitar and it has yet to let me down.
Yup. Don't like big things hanging off the headstock. D'Addario Micro, and when the spline wears out, replace it. Can leave it on the guitar for a while and forget about it.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

The peterson stroboclip and stroboplus HD can be as simple or complicated as you choose to make them. They are very well-built, as where Ive broken several snarks. After using the stroboclip for a couple weeks now, I find myself reaching for the polytune clip when I want a quick easy tuning.

Since the LCD perersons dont have actual spinning wheels, I must assume they have a similar freq generator to other electronic tuners, rendering them all similar in their accuracy. The peterson strobe depictions are certainly a more precise display interface for us to see, but not sure if its necessary. (I do like it though).

The sweetened tunings I find both tedious and useless. Only when in G do they not require tweaking by my ears, so I just leave it on EQU, which is standard tuning. Even with the tv muted in a quiet room, I find the lcd wheel a bit jumpy, and not sure it winds up any more accurate than “all green” on my polytune.

All said, I like the peterson or polytune better than all the rest, with a slight edge to the polytune. But I’ll use whatever tuner is in the same room as me at the time. They all work.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:50 PM
AGF Administrator

Boss TU-10 has been my go-to for years: https://www.boss.info/us/products/tu-10/
Old 10-29-2020, 01:03 PM

Another satisfied TC Unitune and Polytune user.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilusaco View Post
I've been using a Cool brand tuner for about 3 yrs. now. It is magnetically attached to the clip so you can remove it attach it to anything magnetic. I find it is the best tuner for a banjo attached right to the metal j hook brackets. Also it will stick to the tuners in several positions. It is very responsive and has 6 or 7 different instrument settings. Also does flat settings USB charged around $30
http://www.coolmusicinc.com/portfolio-items/t-01-tuner/
I have a Korg Magnetune that also has a magnetic clip. True story: It is so small that one day I put it in my pocket to use to tune a guitar at Guitar Center. Later on that night I emptied out my pocket ... and no tuner. I looked everywhere. No tuner. A few days later I happened to look at my key ring with my house key, car keys ... and there it was! It had fastened itself upon something on my key ring and the magnet was so strong and the unit so small that I never noticed I had it all the while. Btw I lost my first one later on but I got a second one which is still in its unopened small package.
https://www.amazon.com/Korg-Magnetun...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion