The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-06-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I tried a few times to get a video showing my SC baritone that has an UltraTonic in it, but I can't figure out how to get good audio, and how get around the auto level adjustment.

But I will say again, the Ultratonic has been great - much like the K&K in terms of simplicity, and not messing with non-amplified tone and volume, but when plugged in, it lets me run the volume as high as I can stand, with about as close to zero feedback as I think you can get - the video was trying to show me holding and playing the guitar right in front of the speaker at very high volume, with no feedback, but a great amplified sound, great crisp bass without mud, which is really important with a baritone -

And if you want the best amplified acoustic tone, just add the Tonedexter, and its amazing -

I just got around to putting one in my koa H, and hope to have that adjusted and ready tomorrow -
Old 10-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I tried a few times to get a video showing my SC baritone that has an UltraTonic in it, but I can't figure out how to get good audio, and how get around the auto level adjustment.

But I will say again, the Ultratonic has been great - much like the K&K in terms of simplicity, and not messing with non-amplified tone and volume, but when plugged in, it lets me run the volume as high as I can stand, with about as close to zero feedback as I think you can get - the video was trying to show me holding and playing the guitar right in front of the speaker at very high volume, with no feedback, but a great amplified sound, great crisp bass without mud, which is really important with a baritone -

And if you want the best amplified acoustic tone, just add the Tonedexter, and its amazing -

I just got around to putting one in my koa H, and hope to have that adjusted and ready tomorrow -
Oh wow, I’ve never heard of this system but it seems just about perfect. All the benefits of the K&K with none of the cons. The sound samples I listened to on James May’s website were very helpful as well.

This is perfect timing because I was very close to pulling the trigger on the DiMarzio Black Angel like three times last weekend, but knew that I wouldn’t be happy with the tone. I know it’s a very good sounding mag pickup, but it’s still a mag pickup.

Honestly, the Tonedexter seems a bit much for me but I do have a Boss AD-2 which usually helps improve the plugged in tone and should help if I need it.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might be buying one this week!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I've tried " many" acoustic pick ups. Far and away the best acoustic tone in a live band situation I've found is the Trance Amulet M.
Someone mentioned running through a Tonedexter, which I love for tone, but it's hard to get the punch for live solo's in a band setting.
I've been using the " M" for 5 years now. no issues, no feedback. Running it through a Radial Pre Z tone bone then into the PA.
Here's a link to a Lowden O35 , tone bone , trance in a band setting. All guitar solo's are just hitting the boost. You'll also notice I don't have a sound hole cover in the guitar, it's so feedback resistant I rarely bother with one.
https://youtu.be/rcLA-YLIk_c
Old 10-09-2020, 06:38 PM

A magnetic sound hole mic with a mic blend is perfect for loud gigs (just turn the mic off), soft coffee houses (turn the mic way up for a beautiful intimate sound), or anything in between. I use a Schertler AG6/S-Mic, but there are several great options including the Rare Earth Blend.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Well, my band got together for the first time in about 6+ weeks, in my warehouse, all over 8’ apart from each other, and I got a chance to play my Santa Cruz H with the fresh UltraTonic pickup install in a group. After I finally realized I had the volume wheel turned all the way down (a problem I never had with my K&Ks ‘cause none had volume wheels) I got a chance to really crank it up in a full PA / multiple electric instruments/amps situation - and it was fantastic. Sound, running it thru my Soulmate Acoustic pedal into my Schertler subwoofer, then out to a pair of Bose S1s, was extremely good - although I was hoping to spend a bit more time with EQ and listening to the setup in the group, it had been so long since we’d all had a chance to play together, and we had so many things we wanted to run through, it just wasn’t possible.

But soundwise, it was great, I got a really good acoustic guitar sound, and a signal I could run thru my pedal and apply lots more modification to when I wanted a much more “electric” kind of sound (as electric as I’d ever want from an acoustic guitar, at least) - and zero feedback with no effort or special considerations on my part. Again, I highly recommend it -
Old 10-14-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Well, my band got together for the first time in about 6+ weeks, in my warehouse, all over 8’ apart from each other, and I got a chance to play my Santa Cruz H with the fresh UltraTonic pickup install in a group. After I finally realized I had the volume wheel turned all the way down (a problem I never had with my K&Ks ‘cause none had volume wheels) I got a chance to really crank it up in a full PA / multiple electric instruments/amps situation - and it was fantastic. Sound, running it thru my Soulmate Acoustic pedal into my Schertler subwoofer, then out to a pair of Bose S1s, was extremely good - although I was hoping to spend a bit more time with EQ and listening to the setup in the group, it had been so long since we’d all had a chance to play together, and we had so many things we wanted to run through, it just wasn’t possible.

But soundwise, it was great, I got a really good acoustic guitar sound, and a signal I could run thru my pedal and apply lots more modification to when I wanted a much more “electric” kind of sound (as electric as I’d ever want from an acoustic guitar, at least) - and zero feedback with no effort or special considerations on my part. Again, I highly recommend it -
Thanks for the update! I’m going to order his pickup this week. 🤘
Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM

Fishman Ellipse Aura pickup - I put one in my martin 000-18 - amazing mic'd tone regardless of the venue or circumstances.
https://www.fishman.com/portfolio/ellipse-aura/
Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 PM

I took the delivery of the Ultra Tonic this week. Just trying to figure out if I want to install it myself or have someone do it for me.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

James might be able to recommend some near you, but it isn’t that hard, and with the tuning process, it’s pretty forgiving. First one is definitely the scariest, though!

The best part if it all is James has great advice and support - at least, until you get it installed and tuned. Then the best part is playing your guitar with it plugged in and cranked up!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification