The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 11:54 AM

Default A Year of GAS Plus NGD

So, this year has been the best I have had guitar wise. For years I played late 60s/early 70s Yamaha red Labels and didn't feel the need for anything more. I don’t have any of those left but both ended up in friends’ hands and I know they are played and enjoyed every day. 3 years ago, I got my first "good" guitar. A Taylor 516CE Spring LTD. Was great for along time till I started going to jams. Played and sounded great at home but for some reason it did not play well with other. Found that it would sit on top of the mix and not blend in. So, then I bought myself a 74 00-18. Really wanted a 000-28 but could only find the 00-18 at the time used and I couldn't afford new. Kind of worked out well for me cause that guitar will never leave me.

We get to this year and GAS took over. Bought a Recording King RO327. Great little guitar. Then I traded my Taylor for a HD-28v. Was a straight trade with both of us happy. Was a for sure a trade up for me. The sound of this thing was just perfect to my ears. But I wasn't in love with the 1 11/16" V neck. I could play it but never really got use to it. So, I sold both the Recording king and the HD-28v the same week. From there I bought a Guild OM-120 and a Martin OM-28v. The Guild is a great guitar. I don’t know if it will be a long-term keeper though. It might be the one I keep in open D tuning. As I said above, I always wanted a 000-28. Went to a shop and A/B it with a OM-28 and I preferred the OM. One popped up on CL but I was a V model with the V neck. Figured I kind of got use the other one and the price was right so why not. What a sweet-sounding guitar. Balanced piano chords all day long. Really did plan on keeping it for the long run even though the neck was kind of eh for me. Then I did something stupid. Went to Long and Mcquade to look at Mandolins. (As much as my head says I want to play Mandolin, my fat fingers disagree) While I was there I saw a Yamaha LL16 on the wall. Always wanted to try one. I was hooked and got an awesome deal on it.

Well the LL16 killed the OM-28v. It did everything the OM did, but it was like it was on steroids. So, I started thinking if thats what the LL16 can do then what would a LL56 do. So, I looked at what I was wanting and had 3 guitars in mind. The Yamaha LL56, at Martin J40, and a Collings D2H. Went to Rufus Guitar on the Saturday to try the Collings. Was kind of under whelmed with it. I think my exceptions were just to high. Off to Long and Mcquade to try the Martin J40. Didn't have one there but the guy I bought the LL16 was there and I talked to him. He is a great bluegrass picker and has played all the guitars on my list. After we talked, I kind of realized I was chasing a sound that I already had. Left there lost as to what I wanted. Sunday, I went on CL again and the only thing that caught my eye was a D-35. Always liked the look but never played one. Back to Long and Mcquade. I A/B a D28 and a D35. To my ear the 28 was better. So, then I A/B the D28 and a HD28. HD28 hands down was the winner. Got home and listed the OM28v and 2 other guitars to afford it. Rufus Guitars had there Black Friday sale that started yesterday and I got 15% off on a brand new HD-28. (Good deal for Canada) Played all night and it is just a killer guitar. As great as my last one but with out that Pesky V neck. No pics as we all know the guitar. With the exception of a new Banjo I think I am done. Maybe a maple back down the line if I find one I like........

That’s my story or my year of GAS.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I had some GAS issues this year as well. Decided to get work done on a few guitars that I've been putting off, so not really GAS, but related. Also sprung for two Guild Orpheums, a mahogany OM and a mahogany dread, both 12 fret. Had to cut down, so sold my Guild F40.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I have gone hog wild this year myself, replacing 4 of the 5 guitars I owned as recently as May this year. Maybe because I know I'm running out of time with my oldest starting college next year, not sure. But my days of 'trying new things, just because' will be coming to an end.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion