The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 01:35 PM

Default Considering a replacement for my Yamaha FG800

Hello all. First post here, but I've been reading and lurking for years. My apologies if I make any mis-steps; please correct me if I'm violating any forum rules/norms.

About two years ago I started playing again after a long break, and picked up a Yamaha FG800. It's been a really great guitar, and I still prefer its sound to many other guitars that are much more expensive. However, I recently got a Spanish/classical nylon-string guitar and have found the thicker, wider neck and generous string spacing to be much more comfortable for me. I can still play the Yamaha fine, but I do realize that it feels a bit cramped at times.

So, long story short, I'm considering replacing the Yamaha with a different guitar that has a thicker, wider neck and wider string spacing. Please note that I'm not in a position currently to add another guitar; it will be '1 in and 1 out'.

Question 1: Should I seek out a replacement steel-string? I'm ambivalent since I like the sound of the Yamaha.

Question 2: What guitars should I be looking at? Some information that may help:
  • I play a mix of fingerstyle and strumming, lately not using a pick/plectrum much.
  • I'd like a wide, thick neck with generous string spacing. The wider and thicker the better.
  • I'm compatible with any body shape, but I'd prefer something on the larger end (dreadnought/000/OM).
  • I'm not sure how to describe what tone I'm looking for. I haven't loved the lower-end Taylors I've played, if that helps.
  • I don't want a cutaway or electronics. I don't play up the neck regularly, so even a 12-fretter could work.
  • Budget is low - under $500, preferably as much under as possible.
  • Laminate B&S is totally fine, and maybe preferred. This will be a guitar that I leave hanging on the wall to make it easily accessible. Otherwise it will sit in a closet and I won't play it. Humidity in my area doesn't go to extremes, but I'm not sure that I should leave an all-solid instrument out without humidity control.
  • I'm comfortable buying used.

I've been considering the Seagull S6 Original and the Recording King ROS-06, which both have wide necks. I've played the 'slim' version of the Seagull and liked the tone. Videos/recordings of the RK sound really great, even with strumming, but I know that you don't get the genuine sound until you hear it in person.

Thanks much, all!
Old 11-24-2020, 02:16 PM

Hi Ajerjo, Welcome to the AGF! You haven't made any missteps .

I think you have a great starting point - the Seagull. It has a wider nut width and I'm assuming that it also has a wider string spacing than the Yamaha.

It would help if you let us know what country you are in since prices and availability differ.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:36 PM

Eastman have a wider nut and I suspect you’d be happy with E1OM or E2OM!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 11-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm in Sacramento, California, USA.

I actually have played a couple of Eastman guitars and they seemed to have a nice spacing and fuller neck profile. Maybe the answer is to spring for the E1/2 D/OM?

GC nearby has a used Seagull S6 currently which I could go demo as well, but I'm trying to limit outings due to the pandemic.

Alex
Old 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM

I agree that you should consider Eastman guitars.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:37 PM

A friend of mine bought one of the Eastman PCH Grand Auditorium models, I'm pretty sure it is the PCH2-GACE, which should be right in your price range. It is a great guitar.
2022 Taylor AD17e Blacktop
2016 Yamaha FG820 Autumn Burst
2015 Eastman E6D
2011 Eastman AC422
2008 Taylor Big Baby
1977 Alvarez 5059
-- no longer with us
2018 Taylor 324CE V
2013 Takamine P1NC
2010 Eastman AC420
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM

I'll also vouch for the Eastman, an e1d would be within your budget too.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:42 PM

Oh, also faith make some great guitars under $500 in there lower end range. Think the dreads might have wider string spacing, but I've not checked.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:34 PM

how about a used Yamaha LL16?
Old 11-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajerjo View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm in Sacramento, California, USA.

I actually have played a couple of Eastman guitars and they seemed to have a nice spacing and fuller neck profile. Maybe the answer is to spring for the E1/2 D/OM?

GC nearby has a used Seagull S6 currently which I could go demo as well, but I'm trying to limit outings due to the pandemic.

Alex
Hey Alex, any guitar you can actually play before buying is a plus. If you order online make sure there's an excellent return policy just in case you don't bond with the guitar.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:27 PM

I would definitely recommend a Seagull dreadnought, NOT the slim version (which has a narrower nut). I would say an S6 model, either spruce top or the cedar, unless you buy the 'slim' you'll be getting a nice spacious 1.8" nut width, as opposed to your 1.68" Yamaha.
PLUS, they are very affordable and made entirely in Canada, mostly with local woods that Godin (the mother company) owns. They are very resposible, for the S6 they use wild cherry on the b/s because they own a lot of land with a lot of those trees on it.
You can buy a used one for probably $300 ish, new for like $500-$600.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/pro...tars?series=20
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...iginal-natural

If the headstock is appalling to you, then I'd recommend the Yamaha L series. You already like the tone of your Yamaha, and the L series has much wider string spacing and a bigger neck than the F series.

Last edited by Wellington; 11-24-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
how about a used Yamaha LL16?
Also a good suggestion, string spacing is very good.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:42 PM

This is an easy one:

Check out Breedlove's Organic series. You may really like their concerto size that is perfect for both strumming and fingerstyle. Where else you going to find a new all-solid wood guitar with torrified top for <$500???

https://breedlovemusic.com/instrumen...anic-signature

If you go used and spend just a little more, you can move up in the series to something like this crazy good deal (B stock in this case):

https://reverb.com/item/37156705-bre...r-b-stock-7815

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 11-24-2020, 10:50 PM

@all, thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely give Eastman another try. There are two dealers nearby so that's an easy one.

@Ds114, I've played an LL6 and liked the neck and spacing. That's another one I can look out for locally.

@Dru Edwards, good advice; I'll certainly look first for things locally and otherwise but from somewhere with a good return policy.

@Wellington, thanks for the information about Godin and Seagull. I'll see if I can get out to try the used S6 at my local Guitar Center.

@_zedagive, I think those Breedloves have a similar nut and spacing to my Yamaha, no? I'm looking for something that is a bit more comfortable and generously spaced for my large hands and lanky fingers.

Alex
Old 11-25-2020, 09:19 PM

Quick update: the budget can stretch bit for something I really love.

I got out to play an Eastman E1D and while I really like it I'm not sure that it's exactly what I'm looking for. I want to find something that feels special and 'begs to be played'. The E1D was close, and a really nice guitar.

Oddly enough, I played a new X-series Martin Dreadnought that felt great to me. I'm not interested in the electronics w/ battery door, or printed fake wood, but it felt nice and the tone was agreeable if not breathtaking.

Anything else I should be looking at? Maybe the Alvarez MD60BG or a Westerly Guild?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion