The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2020, 01:27 AM

This thread amuses me as I was in high end consumer retail for 48 years. Don't fool yourself! If one can always get 40% off on an item, then you really didn't save 40%! It's like the mall jewelry store with the yellow banners waving 60% off gold jewelry.........it NEVER sold at 60% higher! It's an old appliance store mentality way of marketing.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifivic View Post
This thread amuses me as I was in high end consumer retail for 48 years. Don't fool yourself! If one can always get 40% off on an item, then you really didn't save 40%! It's like the mall jewelry store with the yellow banners waving 60% off gold jewelry.........it NEVER sold at 60% higher! It's an old appliance store mentality way of marketing.
I mean, the vast vast majority of guitar buyers are completely unaware that you can get 40% off MSRP when buying a new Martin. That's why when you go on Reverb, or even the AGF classifieds at times, most used Martins are more expensive than a brand new one with said discount. Dealers also aren't allowed to advertise 40% off MSRP. So you really can't always get that discount...you have to ask, and you have to know the right shops to ask as well. Few actually do.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You’re not getting 40% off of retail/MAP. But 40% off of MSRP can be had if you know where to shop.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-13-2020, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I amuses me when someone who doesn't know what they are typing about it amused by a legitimately good deal!

When I call Maury's ( I only use him because he's the one I deal with, but the other forum sponsors are the same), there is no secret handshake, I don't have to go to a back room and talk to the right guy, and there is no negotiation. All I do is ask for the price and right now it will be 38% off of the price on the Martin web page.

I've even called to tell them that I'm going to look at a used guitar and want to know their price on that model. They have no problem telling me the price they would sell it for even knowing that I'm going somewhere else to shop.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:36 AM

Just as a data point here, I recently asked a well known online Martin dealer for their best price on a 000-28 Ambertone, and they offered $100 off MAP. I'm not sure how good their prices usually are, and I don't want to shame anyone, but that does lend some credence to the theory that shortages are discouraging the normal discounts. That said, I know I can get it for less elsewhere, and that's very close to the street price for a 000-28MD.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:16 AM

I just got a quote from one of the newer / larger sponsors here for an 18 and it was about 20% off MAP. Not quite the 25% from the deeper discounters, but enough for me to work with the same company / rep I have had a good relationship with.

Turns out I bought a Yamaha from them, with a comparable discount rate from MAP, and if I don't care for it I can always upgrade to the 18.

So the great deals are still out there
Old 11-23-2020, 04:48 PM

I'm assuming you have to call these dealers (like Maury's) to get the 40% (or close to it) off? I'm asking because I submitted a couple web inquiries to see if Maury had a couple models in stock and was quoted MAP as their "best price". I suspect they can't put the heavily discounted price in writing.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeE View Post
I'm assuming you have to call these dealers (like Maury's) to get the 40% (or close to it) off? I'm asking because I submitted a couple web inquiries to see if Maury had a couple models in stock and was quoted MAP as their "best price". I suspect they can't put the heavily discounted price in writing.
Maury has sent the discounted prices to me via email before, but you have to specifically ask him for his best price.
Old 11-23-2020, 06:34 PM

This is absolutely untrue. I have reached out and received quotes nowhere near MAP.
Quote:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 11-23-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
Several dealers that used to give 40% off are not doing it now due to low inventory.
This^^^^. You will get a strong discount but prob not 40%. At least my latest price check says so. Maybe closer to 35-36% which is ok by me
Old 11-23-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Maury has sent the discounted prices to me via email before, but you have to specifically ask him for his best price.
Hmmm.. interesting. I got an email quote from them just today on a new 000-18 they have in stock. I specifically asked for their "best price" and was quoted $2,499, which is MAP.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 PM

How hard is it to pick up phone and call?

Hey AGF sponsor, I am an AGF forum member and ready to buy (your in-stock guitar) I heard from forum that I can get 40% off MSRP on XXX Martin. Can you hook me up?

Supply and demand does come into play. But I'm sure they'll quote best price. Emailing is not the way to get "best price",
Old 11-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, sometimes they will email you a price below MAP and sometimes not. And sometimes even the same guy at the same dealer will do it different ways. at different times.

I suspect lots of place don't like to do it in writing because then they have customer take the quote somewhere else to try to price match or get it lower.

Just give them a call and ask. If you don't like it then politely decline and move on, no big deal.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hmmm.. interesting. I got an email quote from them just today on a new 000-18 they have in stock. I specifically asked for their "best price" and was quoted $2,499, which is MAP.
It could be that Maury isn't offering additional discounts right now due to the high demand and low supply. He's sold out of a ton of guitars on his site right now. But just give him a call and ask. Dealers know what savvy buyers are looking for, you don't have to beat around the bush.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:01 PM

I don't get the logic and business sense. This is the retail price but you can offer it via advertising for this price but the real price (which must not be made public) is this. It is convoluted. I am impatient I guess. Tell me the price. Where we both can be happy. Simple business is easy and fair for all parties.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion