The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Default Deal on a new Martin?

I know inventory is low these days but looking for a Martin dealer that might do 40% off on a new OM21 or OM28. Any ideas?
ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 11-11-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

It appears that none of our forum sponsors are offering the full 40%. I got 38% from Maury in April on a Martin J-40. That seems to be the new normal. I've bought three Martins from Maury's Music and I've always been very happy with the transaction. With my Custom Shop J-17, he did a great job with the order and gave me the 40% discount. Then, a few days after I received the guitar, he called me up and said that he was refunding around $220. It's always been a pleasure to deal with him.

All of our forum sponsors who sell Martin will offer around the same deal. You should think of it geographically; if you live on the east coast, you don't want to deal with a dealer in California and have your guitar traveling across the country and have to ship it back there if you don't like it.

So, call some of the forum sponsors and see if someone has the guitar you are after. And good luck with your new guitar!
Old 11-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Maury's and LAGS would be the first two shops I'd look at. If neither have those in stock, Willcutt Guitars in Kentucky has done 40% off MSRP for me as well.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Maury's and LAGS would be the first two shops I'd look at. If neither have those in stock, Willcutt Guitars in Kentucky has done 40% off MSRP for me as well.
All good options, also Reno's in Indianapolis is another one to check.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Inventory is an issue these days. I doubt if you'll get a quote on anything out of stock.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 11-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I spoke to the folks at the MUsic Outlet in serieville TN just the other day and they are still doing 40% off of MRSP. I really like this store, and the inventory is decent. The only downside is they don’t list the inventory on line. You have to call them

https://www.musicoutlet.net/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-11-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Ted at LAGS is no longer a sponsor here if I’m correct, but Maury is. He can usually get anything at 40% off or close, you’ll save on tax if you’re out of state but have to pay shipping.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

No Maury does not charge shipping. You do pay shipping both ways if you send the guitar back.

When I've ordered from him, I got my guitar overnight and one time I had it at 10:30 the next morning!
Old 11-11-2020, 03:10 PM

Maury's has one they just demoed in their virtual inventory tour video today. Give them a call.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattface View Post
Maury's has one they just demoed in their virtual inventory tour video today. Give them a call.
I have never seen these videos before but it makes me wonder. If you owned a store and were lucky enough to be able to test just about every Martin on the market, which one would you own?
Old 11-11-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caperrob View Post
I have never seen these videos before but it makes me wonder. If you owned a store and were lucky enough to be able to test just about every Martin on the market, which one would you own?
I believe Maury's "go to" gigging guitar is his Martin OM-28V which was discontinued prior to or as the "reimagined"models debuted saying the new OM-28 had all the attributes of the OM-28V. Personally...I never thought the reimagined OM-28 sounded quite as good as the older OM-28V did? The new OM-28 is still a fine sounding instrument IMO however...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-11-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I believe Maury's "go to" gigging guitar is his Martin OM-28V which was discontinued prior to or as the "reimagined"models debuted saying the new OM-28 had all the attributes of the OM-28V. Personally...I never thought the reimagined OM-28 sounded quite as good as the older OM-28V did? The new OM-28 is still a fine sounding instrument IMO however...
Thanks for the quick reply

Ahh to be so lucky as him. Cheers!!
Old 11-11-2020, 09:46 PM

I had been scoping out the same models the last 5 or 6 weeks. I settled on the OM-21 but had a hard time finding one that looked like it had a clean fine-grained top. Luckily a nice one popped up on Sweetwater a few days ago, hopefully it gets delivered tomorrow. The 28s all seemed to have more consistent woods.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Several dealers that used to give 40% off are not doing it now due to low inventory.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
you’ll save on tax if you’re out of state but have to pay shipping.
That's IF you get away with it. The law is if they don't charge the tax then it is the customers responsibility to list that on your state income tax

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion