The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I think it is mostly between the Peterson Stroboclip HD and the TC Electronics Unitune (which also has a strobe option), and perhaps the D'addario mini clip ons, which I've used through their two or three generations.

The Peterson has an incredible number of tuning options and "sweetened" tunings. If you want to get into the minutiea (sp?) of programming it, you can customise the options via their website.

The TC Electronic Unitune (in standard format) got my vote ... BUT - I've been told that it is no longer in production.

Visibility in low and high lighting is important and both of these excel in this aspect.
This might be of interest :
I used to use a tuning fork, too, until the batteries became impossible to find.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-08-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I used to use a tuning fork, too, until the batteries became impossible to find.
Mine was kinetically-powered, like a self-winding watch!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-08-2020, 05:55 PM

D’Addario/Planet Waves soundhole tuner. Accurate and unobtrusive.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I really like the convenience of the Daddario soundhole tuner a LOT, and it's reasonably accurate, but it often has trouble picking up the low E. Battery life is great on these too....
Same here. I have a micro tuner on each of my guitars. Super convenient. No hunting around for a clip-on.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Peterson Stroboclip.
Yep. They are pricey, but when taken care of it should last the rest of my life which brings the cost way down in my mind.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Yeah, and did you ever try to eat a salad with one? Useless.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-08-2020, 10:33 PM

TC Polytune. The best I have found. The Peterson strobe tuner is also very good but pricy.
Bose L1 Model 2 W/Two B1's
Bose S1 Pro
TC Helicon Play Acoustic
TC Electronic Ditto X2 Looper
TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster
Old 10-08-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I think it is mostly between the Peterson Stroboclip HD and the TC Electronics Unitune (which also has a strobe option), and perhaps the D'addario mini clip ons, which I've used through their two or three generations.

The Peterson has an incredible number of tuning options and "sweetened" tunings. If you want to get into the minutiea (sp?) of programming it, you can customise the options via their website.

The TC Electronic Unitune (in standard format) got my vote ... BUT - I've been told that it is no longer in production.

Visibility in low and high lighting is important and both of these excel in this aspect.
This might be of interest :
I own a Polytune and love it, but they've been sold out everywhere (although apparently GC just got some stock).

Peterson should pay you for your video, because it was so informative and helpful, I'm ordering a Peterson right now.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-09-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big fan of the TC Polytune. What I like best about that one is it's easy to see, especially outdoors in bright light. That said, I've gone over to mostly the Fishman FT-2 headstock clip which gets no love here, ever. I got one of these for free with a pickup order from some online retailer.

What I love about this little tuner is it's small size and the best feature - it turns on and off when it's raised and lowered. So no fumbling for small buttons. They are also very inexpensive at $15 a pop. So I ended up buying two more and keep one on each guitar. Lately the TC has gone back on the little travel guitar as that one I take outside and it's easier to see.

I tried the Peterson and found it to be too big and cumbersome, way too many options, too expensive and in the end did not get my guitar in any better tuning than any other clipon tuner. I do like tuning to a strobe though so when I want to do that I just use my Android phone and the excellent Pitchlab Pro app.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzereh View Post
Nothing wrong with my Snarks. Got a couple that I've had for a number of years and going strong, working great. Got no use for other, more expensive ones.
Something will happen soon. I was a huge a Snark fanboy when they first came on the scene. I had quite a few... different models too. Gave some as Xmas gifts for guitar players. All have broken or become sticky.

I now use Polytunes and they are much better IMO.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM

To add to my comments above...

As much as I prefer the Petersons, I still have a Snark in most of my cases. They are far from perfect, but they'll get you close. I've had several die and a couple of their joints break. I hear that the company is really good about replacing them, but I figure if something I paid 10 bucks for last a year then I've gotten my money's worth, so I've never looked into the warranty.

Still, if I could have only one tuner, at this point it would definitely be the Peterson.

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 10-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a Snark (on my 2nd one) that I use every day while my $70 Peterson sits in the drawer. The Snark is just easier to use for different capo positions.

My tuning fork sits in my gear case. I have the original clear plastic sleeve for it too. I got it back in the mid 70's.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 10-09-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Mine was kinetically-powered, like a self-winding watch!
Mine too, except mine had an attitude problem. If I plucked the string and it was out of tune, it would give me a dirty look as if to say don't even THINK of playing notes on that string!
Old 10-09-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I asked my Sweetwater rep (these are a Sweetwater exclusive) last week and they are still in production.

(Many random items are unavailable due to covid affecting supply chains. I just this week received an iRig Stream device that I ordered back in mid-May.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-09-2020, 12:31 PM

I have a Unitune and like it for many reasons, one being the sturdiness of the clip, having broken several Snarks.

I wanted to buy another Unitune but they were out of stock. I found this on Amazon and think it is very close to being the equivalent, and it is available! I like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/MOOER-Electri.../dp/B07VS1Y4KL

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion