The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Orangewood Guitars

Just pulled the trigger on an Oliver Mahogany Live. Needed a smaller guitar for writing and banging around the house.

Anyone else have one of these? For the price, they're worth a shot. Only heard great things about them.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! I have a Morgan Spruce Live. Less than $300 and gets about 90% of my playing time these days. This particular model is very similar in tone, looks and specs with the Taylor 314ce.

My only complaint about the Orangewood folks is they are a little inconsistent with the setup, which they tout. But their customer service is great.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:43 PM

I bought a "Rey" and then sold it to buy an Oliver..Sold it to buy a Mogan Live and another "Rey to replace the first
All the guitars sounded great...I just wanted to move up their ladder but in the meantime a Breedlove Pursuit Concerto all Myrtlewood CE came on sale, and that finally arrived.
Putting it up against the Morgan and Rey Orangewood
Here is my opinion..
The Rey (Laminated Mahogany) has a nice tone..but does seem to get overwhelmed with hard or fast strumming like Cedar does

The Morgan seems to be to the opposite of the Breedlove
The Breedlove has a beautiful tone but the mid's seem to be subdued a little but you can dig into this guitar and it can get loud... overall the tone is even..mellow with a big bottom

The Morgan out of the gate is brash. edgy with a nice tone, nothing wrong with it at all and it has made the choice between it and the Breedlove very hard..
and there is the $300 difference in cost.. I'm going to play them for a week and then we will see...
But I can't wait to get home to play the guitars with fresh ears tonight
Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

My Morgan Spruce is wonderful with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
My Morgan Spruce is wonderful with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights.
If I keep the Morgan I'll give these strings a try
Old 06-03-2019, 03:56 PM

I've seen Youtube reviews by Phillip McKnight and (I believe) Darrel Braun. They seem like great, inexpensive guitars. I'd like to try one out but the Canadian/US exchange rate isn't worth it at this time.

Create a NGD thread when you get it. Looking forward to reading your review.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Default Orangewood Morgan Spruce Live

After doing a ton of research, asking questions, listening to online demos, and a recommendation from a local guitar teacher who has a student that has one, my Orangewood Morgan Spruce Live arrived friday. today is sunday. i have hardly set it down. my martin d28 is collecting dust right now. i am totally blown away by the sound and quality of this inexpensive instrument. i paid $247 with the 10% discount offered. the sound is bright and plucky, it resonates and projects great, and seems to be well constructed. feels good and seems easy to play. ok, i might have liked a slightly deeper, more round sound, but i can really live with the sound this guitar produces, and really have no complaints. this seems to sound more close to a taylor than a martin. i am taking it out to an open mic this afternoon to see how it works out.
2001 Martin D-28
2023 Martin DX12
2002 Seagull Maritime SWS
2018 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Fusion
2016 Orangewood Echo 12
2006 Ibanez Artcore AK86-DVS-12-01
Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 AM

After doing a ton of research, asking questions, listening to online demos, and a recommendation from a local guitar teacher who has a student that has one, my Orangewood Morgan Spruce Live arrived friday. today is sunday. i have hardly set it down. my martin d28 is collecting dust right now. i am totally blown away by the sound and quality of this inexpensive instrument. i paid $247 with the 10% discount offered. the sound is bright and plucky, it resonates and projects great, and seems to be well constructed. feels good and seems easy to play. ok, i might have liked a slightly deeper, more round sound, but i can really live with the sound this guitar produces, and really have no complaints. this seems to sound more close to a taylor than a martin. i am taking it out to an open mic this afternoon to see how it works out.
2001 Martin D-28
2023 Martin DX12
2002 Seagull Maritime SWS
2018 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Fusion
2016 Orangewood Echo 12
2006 Ibanez Artcore AK86-DVS-12-01
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM

Hey Orangewood players, they are currently having a 2020 Black Friday sale. I was hoping to get some thoughts on which of the instruments on sale might be a good pick for a beginner. I am trying to find something for my wife--but I know beans about acoustic guitars.

Looks like the Orangewoods on sale all have a 44mm nut, and I guess the wider nut is more popular... but it is just so hard to know how much that matters until you know how to play! They also seem slimmer than dreadnaught style, which I am told is probably a good thing for a smaller player?

Here's the sale listing... many thanks if you have any comments on the offerings.

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collections/black-friday

I've been looking at used stuff in my area (Alvarez, Yamaha, etc) and have not found anything awesome yet.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

I have the Morgan Spruce Live and love it. (It's actually my second Morgan...I gave away my first one to Guitars 4 Vets).

They have so many different models now, many more than when I first bought two years ago. I have owned many Yamahas, including FS800, FS Acoustasonic, LS models, etc. I'm down to my Martin 000-18 and my Orangewood now.
The Orangewood has a slim neck and the nut on the Morgan is slightly narrower than my 000-18, which is fine for me. I am a petite lady and have given up dreadnought guitars for the smaller OM/000 body. Much more comfortable.

As far as which model, I suppose it depends on your budget and style/shape. Happy shopping!
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM

Good to hear that vote of confidence, thanks.

As to preferred style/shape... hard to answer, with us being 100% ignorant of acoustic guitars, haha. I have literally no idea why you might prefer a "Brooklyn" to a "Morgan" to an "Oliver" outside of the listed dimensions. (My wife is 5' 9" but something smaller than a battleship, I mean dreadnaught still sounds like a good idea.)

I'm just hoping to find something that is a good quality, easy to play, all-arounder for $250, maybe $300 including setup if needed. I did start another thread for that question specifically but thought it worth asking after Orangewood specifically in this thread.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:32 PM

I just ordered a Brooklyn from their sale. If you are a smaller frame the 000/OM body will be a bit less bulky. The Brooklyn seems to get good reviews on You Tube...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. With the free shipping and free returns until the end of January, the worst you'll be out is the re-stocking fee. The Brooklyn without a pickup is on their 20% off sale so it's about as cheap as you're going to find. I would rather it not have the pickup they're putting in the Brooklyn live and if I decide to keep mine I'll put a K&K pure mini in it.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billm2067 View Post
I just ordered a Brooklyn from their sale. If you are a smaller frame the 000/OM body will be a bit less bulky. The Brooklyn seems to get good reviews on You Tube...but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. With the free shipping and free returns until the end of January, the worst you'll be out is the re-stocking fee. The Brooklyn without a pickup is on their 20% off sale so it's about as cheap as you're going to find. I would rather it not have the pickup they're putting in the Brooklyn live and if I decide to keep mine I'll put a K&K pure mini in it.
Very cool! I have a Morgan Spruce Live. Would love one of their many solid bodies.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:03 PM

I may have to pick up one of those Olivers just to fuss around with. $150 for a solid-topped mahogany grand concert with a bone nut and a gig bag? Could make for a nice beater.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:13 PM

I'm pretty interested in an Orangewood for my wife's first guitar because, not knowing jack about acoustics, their good setup promise is appealing.

One thing that is holding me back is the nut is only 44mm and in my "help me pick a beginner guitar" thread, nearly everyone said that a wider nut is easier to play.

(She does get to put in her two cents, but between the two of us, I am the detail oriented technical shopper so I am trying to come up with a few solid suggestions.)

Picking a beginner's acoustic guitar makes picking my beginner's electric guitar look easy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion