The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

My '89 Lemon Grove 910 was a lovely guitar, but the neck had a 1 11/16" nut and and was somewhat thin - very electric-guitar-ish. It didn't bother me then (it was my #1 guitar for 12 years until I discovered my Collings in the 2000's) but I'm sure that now, since I've become a fan of older guitars with chunkier necks, I would no longer care for the neck.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I feel like there was a time when you sought out Taylor guitars based on their great reputation but now the table has turned and they're trying to sell to you.
I'd like to see a chart comparing what Martin spends on marketing...and what Taylor spends, especially in the last few years.

Back on the OP's subject though...although I've never really bonded with any Taylor I've owned (3-4), the one I had that was pre-2000 sounded the best. Call it being "played in" or what, it had a richer tone and the neck was excellent.
Old 11-13-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I'd like to see a chart comparing what Martin spends on marketing...and what Taylor spends, especially in the last few years.

Back on the OP's subject though...although I've never really bonded with any Taylor I've owned (3-4), the one I had that was pre-2000 sounded the best. Call it being "played in" or what, it had a richer tone and the neck was excellent.
I'd wager it's more comparable than you think. Martin does plenty of marketing but with different strategies than Taylor.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:10 PM

I bought my 712 new in '91. 4 chords and I was sold. Its the most balanced guitar I've played. It is different than the new ones. Thinner neck, narrower neck, 25.5" scale, slightly thinner body, different frets. I've owned lots of other Taylors but this is one of two keepers. It was $1000 in 1991. I've seen them go for not much more than that now. A new 712 will set you back close to 4X that.
Cheap Squier Electrics
Quit counting the ones that have come and gone.

I am not afraid to work on my own guitars
Old 11-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

A 1990 guitar has 30 year old wood now, the point at witch I think you can really hear it. I got to play Taylor #6. I went, oh boy, an electric guitar neck on an acoustic. They are going to sell a bunch of them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-13-2020, 03:32 PM

I've been out of the guitar market for a while, so my Taylors are from that vintage, and they predate the ES pickup system.

Great guitars!!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:06 PM

The "coveted" question is like so much of internet lore: "good wood" years, or pre this and post that ...it's all so rife with lore, imho! A good guitar speaks to you or it doesn't. If the latter, it's still a good guitar, but now one for you. Really, judge an instrument on its merits, not on its net-rep.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion