The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 PM

Default Gibson Heritage - can anyone tell me about this guy?

I'm sort of new to Gibson acoustics -- really enjoying my J-35 and looking for another to play with my wife as I teach her.

I'm trying to figure if this is even worth looking at:

https://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/d...158270173.html

Is a neck reset a big deal? I would imagine it depends on who did it. Also, not sure on price. I'm looking to sell my L-00 as I'm just not a small body guitar player.

Any feedback advice would be great!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:40 PM

Hopefully some of our resident Gibson fans, folks more knowledgeable about Gibsons than I am, can chime in on this thread. It's not a model I was familiar with prior to your post. But here's a guy playing one on the rhythm guitar part for "Venus"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLmUDLjid58

And here's Shocking Blue's original version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPEhQugz-Ew

Looking over what I found online, Gibson used several different decorative elements on these over the years - some are quite plain, some have the headstock inlay but pearl dots on the fingerboard, and others have the block inlays.

Hope this helps a little bit, anyway.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-14-2020, 10:06 PM

Solit top. Kamikaze sides and back. Most had an adjustable bridge with a tone killing wood saddle. Not a very high end Gibson.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 PM

Sorry. Laminated sides and back.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:04 PM

Ok - ‘bout all I needed to know - thank you!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Sorry. Laminated sides and back.
I liked “kamikaze” sides and back.

I think I’ll tie a white headband with red kanji characters on it around my forehead and take out my Seagull Folk model guitar with its Kanadian Kamikaze cherry laminated back and sides and start playing thrash metal songs on it.

The Kanadian Kamikazes, of course, were an elite unit of Canadian commandos in WWII who would parachute behind enemy lines and beat them to death with bottles of maple syrup.

That’s why Robert Godin chose to use Kanadian Kamikaze laminated backs and sides on those guitars, to honor the sacrifices those bold Canadian paratroopers made.

Wade Hampton “You Can Look It Up On Wikipedia” Miller
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM

I really am not much for recommending buying this or that guitar. I really do not care, But what I can tell you is the Heritage was Gibson's third most expensive acoustic behind the J200 and Dove. My thought is if you get one built before 1968 (when Gibson started going to heavier bracing) you have a shot at getting a really nice guitar. For me it would come down to whether I could live with the narrow nut and skimpy neck carve. I would not worry about the laminate thing. Gibson started making their own in the mid-1950s which they used to make the back and rim of the J200. Assuming they were still making it in the mid-1960s it will be even layers of the same wood glued together. If the ADJ saddle bridge bothers you could always have a fixed saddle insert slapped in and the oversized bridge plate Gibson used to support the heavier contraption swapped out for a traditional maple one.

Last edited by zombywoof; 07-16-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I played a 70's Heritage a bunch when I worked next to a pawnshop in the 1990's. A rather heavy beast, as I recall, and not very lively. They weren't asking much (maybe $450?) and I wasn't at all tempted.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:37 PM

I played some in the 70's. Very lackluster sound.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:19 PM

The first year or two had solid sides and back if I remember correctly. Its been a while since I looked into these.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 07-16-2020, 10:25 PM

Charles Johnson/World Mandolin Headquarters wants $2500 for a '67 in similar condition. The Ventura Craigslist price seems good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion