The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 AM

Default Help concerning pick-ups (or not)

Is there any draw back to having a pick installed that you would never use?

I ask because many of the people on the classifieds have added a pick up to their guitars. But let's say you would never have reason to use the pick-up; is there some reason that you would not want their guitar?

Can you easily remove a professionally installed pick-up without damage to the instrument?

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 AM

For the most part, you can abandon-in-place most pickup systems without any harm. Or pay more to have all the "stuff" removed. If there is an under-saddle transducer (UST) then the acoustic tone will probably benefit from removing that element and replacing the low saddle with a new one. A side benefit of that is getting a proper setup as part of fitting that new saddle.

Since I no longer gig, the last few guitars I have bought did not have electronics in them. For the remaining guitars that already have pickups, all have the batteries removed to prevent leakage. But I'm not expending effort to remove functioning pickups. A pickup can be a handy way to record practice sessions or to lay down some backing tracks for your own use.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Most pickups can be removed other than the "barn door" type that would leave a big hole in the side of the guitar facing the player. I have K&K mini pickups in my guitar that are soundboard/bridge plate transducers and are passive. Very little hardware inside the guitar. As Earl said...the under saddle transducer can interfere with the sound of the guitar unplugged. The K&K mini is there if you need it and never problem if you don't?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

My thoughts on factory pickups is this. A great way for manufacturers to make money. I would rather buy a better guitar sans pickups for the same money. I could make exceptions if I needed a guitar to gig with. Taylors always sound OK pluged in, and Cole Clarks sound great.

Add something later if you want to. You don't need a pick up for open mics. They should have a microphone available to mic you.

If you are advanced, you are going to want to choose your own pickups to suit your needs.

All these budget guitars with electrics are just for me, poor choices.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-17-2020, 06:05 PM

Most guitars that have sound board
Transducers like a kk can be left in place.
Elaborate pups with EQ and volume wheels
And especially battery boxes should probably
Be dismantled. I've never heard much of a difference with the acoustic sound of a guitar
after gluing a kk inside.
Old 07-18-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
If there is an under-saddle transducer (UST) then the acoustic tone will probably benefit from removing that element and replacing the low saddle with a new one. A side benefit of that is getting a proper setup as part of fitting that new saddle.
Agreed. I removed the factory UST on my Martin D-2832 Shenandoah and replaced it and the saddle with a bone saddle of the proper height and it improved the acoustic tone dramatically.

I would say you probably will see little acoustic benefit removing most other types of pickups. If you have an active pickup you don't plan to use, however, I would remove the battery.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification