The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2020, 04:19 PM

Default ToneDexter with Schatten HFN pickup

Is anyone one here using the ToneDexter with the Schatten HFN active. Are they even compatible. How good does it sound. Can you compare to other preamps like LR Baggs.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluve95 View Post
Is anyone one here using the ToneDexter with the Schatten HFN active. Are they even compatible. How good does it sound. Can you compare to other preamps like LR Baggs.
It will work fine. Most SBT’s and UST pickups will work great with the tonedexter.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:06 PM

I know there are a few on here who use the active version, I use the passive Schatten HFN.
There isn't going to be much difference in their use with ToneDexter. They can sound excellent.

ToneDexter and (fill in the blank) preamp aren't exactly comparable.
Although ToneDexter has clean preamp capabilities, that is not it's special sauce.
It's the ability to make a 'wavemap' - essentially an impulse response - from YOUR guitar captured with YOUR microphone.

(One caveat - the Schatten (and others like Dazzo) typically ends up sounding so good that ToneDexter doesn't give the HUGE quality jump as one would get with most under-saddle transducers, or even the K+K.)

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-11-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I know there are a few on here who use the active version, I use the passive Schatten HFN.
There isn't going to be much difference in their use with ToneDexter. They can sound excellent.

ToneDexter and (fill in the blank) preamp aren't exactly comparable.
Although ToneDexter has clean preamp capabilities, that is not it's special sauce.
It's the ability to make a 'wavemap' - essentially an impulse response - from YOUR guitar captured with YOUR microphone.

(One caveat - the Schatten (and others like Dazzo) typically ends up sounding so good that ToneDexter doesn't give the HUGE quality jump as one would get with most under-saddle transducers, or even the K+K.)
That covers exactly my experience trying the TD with Schatten, Dazzo, Ultratonic and K&K:
TD provides a huge improvement combined with the K&K, a bit with the Ultra Tonic, almost none with Schatten and Dazzo.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-11-2020, 03:04 PM

So,it sounds like paying the extra say over the LR Baggs Venue my not be worth it. Unless there are other features in the ToneDexter that make it worth more.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:51 PM

If you are planning to use the preamp with other pickups than the Schatten, ToneDexter is great. If not, I can find no reason spending the extra dollar.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-12-2020, 06:07 AM

If bang for the buck is the figure of merit, then the Behringer ADI21 is hard to beat.

If going well above the ADI21 price, go all the way to ToneDexter as it will handle the guitar or pickup you have not yet imagined buying where the box in the middle won't be any better than the ADI21 (at least as this EE sees it).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-12-2020, 07:03 AM

Knowing myself I have no doubt I will want to try different guitars and pickup. So with that in mind ToneDexter may be a good investment.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluve95 View Post
Knowing myself I have no doubt I will want to try different guitars and pickup. So with that in mind ToneDexter may be a good investment.
The $400 price was a big chunk of change for me, but I have absolutely no regrets.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification