The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-10-2020, 07:20 AM

Default sE Electronics Gemini II Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Mic

Hello -

Does anyone here have any experience/feedback/comments regarding the sE Electronics Gemini II Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone?

Much thanks for any sharing.

The Doc...

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money...
Old 07-10-2020, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I've never used one but what I've heard about it is that it's an unforgiving mic. If you have a very good vocalist, it can sound really good, but if you're hoping the mic will help a meh vocalist sound better, it's not going to happen. From what I understand, part of that comes from how the mic handles higher frequencies. On some vocalists, the high frequencies come off pretty harsh.
My take on the mic, when I read up on it some time ago, was that it's a great mic for some singers but if it wasn't the right choice it went right to bad choice without much room between the extremes.

I was looking for something more versatile in that price range and wound up buying a Lauten Atlantis which continues to impress me. It's not only excellent on vocals (imparting a recognizable 47 vibe), it's also an excellent instrument mic. Just before the virus stuff hit, I loaned it to a friend of mine who came up short a couple of mics for an album he was hired to record and mix. He was so impressed with the mic that he used his stimulus check to buy one.

Anyway... I hope the comments on the Gemini are helpful.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

It looks huge (a result of housing 2 tubes!) but the reviews I’ve read give it good marks on acoustic instruments and bari-tenor male vocals.

The James McMurtry video(s) done at Paste studio are really impressive. I’ve heard him live and his voice is not very melodious but the fact is it’s probably close enough to my rattle that I’ve been intrigued by it.

I actually looked around and none of the major dealers have any in stock - just a couple of small places and not stellar reviews for at least one, so it’s giving me lots of time to think.

Love to hear one of you spring for it

P.S. I just looked and there are a lot of vids on the Paste channel using a Gemini. Can’t say for sure if it’s a II but the main difference from what I read is lower noise from improved circuitry in the II.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD