The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Default Entry Level High Quality Simple Recording Devive

I really did search this site for recommendations first, but was overwhelmed with complex (for me) equipment.

Can someone recommend equipment for simple recordings of voice and guitar. If necessary, I'm willing to pay up to $1,000 (which I know isn't much), and would prefer to buy it on Amazon, because I live in rural Mexico.

I'm an intermediate guitar player at best, and have an average voice at best. I'm too old to ever be very serious about this, but I live alone and the guitar and the songs that I write are a very important part of my life. I'd like to record my stuff for my daughters, and for a few Latin girlfriends.

Regarding the girlfriends, I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 PM

Zoom H4N Pro. Use the built-in stereo mics alone or plug in a vocal mic and use the onboard mics for the guitar.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
I really did search this site for recommendations first, but was overwhelmed with complex (for me) equipment.

Can someone recommend equipment for simple recordings of voice and guitar. If necessary, I'm willing to pay up to $1,000 (which I know isn't much), and would prefer to buy it on Amazon, because I live in rural Mexico.

I'm an intermediate guitar player at best, and have an average voice at best. I'm too old to ever be very serious about this, but I live alone and the guitar and the songs that I write are a very important part of my life. I'd like to record my stuff for my daughters, and for a few Latin girlfriends.

If you have recording software already, or know what you will use, look up the focusrite, then buy a good mic and stereo headphones. I got a set up for about $250.

Focusrite: https://smile.amazon.com/Focusrite-S...s%2C164&sr=8-1

Mic: https://smile.amazon.com/AKG-P120-Hi...s%2C189&sr=8-8

Then get some studio headphones if you don't have any yet.

I use Garageband, got some generic XLR cables into Garageband.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Have you looked in the Record section of the AGF? You'll find lots of suggestions there. Not sure if it will meet your requirements, but I bought a Spire Studio, which I really like. Super portable, has an on-board mic and 1/4" plugs for another mic or guitar.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:00 AM

Another vote for the Zoom H4. We’ve got much more expensive recording equipment, but this baby does it all so well and so easily, it’s the one we usually go to.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 07-03-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
Zoom H4N Pro. Use the built-in stereo mics alone or plug in a vocal mic and use the onboard mics for the guitar.

Seconded - it’s a great device with or without external mics.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post

First it seems overwhelming at first to anybody not familiar with recording equipment digital and analog, terminology , signal flow etc. etc.

But like anything else it usually becomes less so fairly quickly with immersion and usage.

And honestly your starting budget is fine
One thing you did not mention is if you have a home computer, what kind, and basic specs (only really important depending on below)

The first thing to decide is if you are looking for a stand alone solution (like say the Zoom recorders ). Or a computer and DAW/interface (Digital Audio Workstation = i.e computer based digital audio recording and mixing software solution

There are advantages and disadvantages to either one

Stand along is less money and somewhat simpler in terms of less equipment, has onboard mics (often fairly good) but is also much more limited in things like track count etc., is not as flexible looking to the future . And for any kind of mixing/editing has to be transferred to computer and DAW anyway.

A DAW and Audio interface, and involves more money going in and some extra equipment (but if you have a computer) is namely mic' and an interface and DAW software , but is much more flexible, future proof, and much less limited overall, and allows everything from basic to advanced mixing and editing possibilities

Personally with a possible $1000 budget I would seriously consider a DAW

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-03-2020, 11:19 AM

I'd draw your attention to the Spire unit. Excellent recordings and so easy to use.
Then, if you want to get adventurous, you can always move the tracks to your computer for fiddling with.
Nick
Old 07-03-2020, 09:10 PM

I really don't expect to do any mixing -- simply record. The big question for me is, if I go with a stand alone device, should I also buy a plug in microphone so I have one microphone on the guitar and one for my voice. If yes, can someone please recommend a complete system of 1) stand alone device, 2) second plug in microphone and related cable, and 3) a stand to mount them on so my hands are free for the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
First it seems overwhelming at first to anybody not familiar with recording equipment digital and analog, terminology , signal flow etc. etc.

But like anything else it usually becomes less so fairly quickly with immersion and usage.

And honestly your starting budget is fine
One thing you did not mention is if you have a home computer, what kind, and basic specs (only really important depending on below)

The first thing to decide is if you are looking for a stand alone solution (like say the Zoom recorders ). Or a computer and DAW/interface (Digital Audio Workstation = i.e computer based digital audio recording and mixing software solution

There are advantages and disadvantages to either one

Stand along is less money and somewhat simpler in terms of less equipment, has onboard mics (often fairly good) but is also much more limited in things like track count etc., is not as flexible looking to the future . And for any kind of mixing/editing has to be transferred to computer and DAW anyway.

A DAW and Audio interface, and involves more money going in and some extra equipment (but if you have a computer) is namely mic' and an interface and DAW software , but is much more flexible, future proof, and much less limited overall, and allows everything from basic to advanced mixing and editing possibilities

Personally with a possible $1000 budget I would seriously consider a DAW
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM

Keep it simple. the Zoom H4.. a Shure SM58 as the extra mic, and then load Audacity on to your computer ( also available as a portable version) £350 all in, clean simple and works anywhere as long as you do not want VST plugins. Audacity is the Windows version of Garageband, and many folks have produced on it.

www.tupelolime.com
https://tupelolime.bandcamp.com/
Old 07-05-2020, 01:33 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Lime View Post
Keep it simple. the Zoom H4.. a Shure SM58 as the extra mic, and then load Audacity on to your computer ( also available as a portable version) £350 all in, clean simple and works anywhere as long as you do not want VST plugins. Audacity is the Windows version of Garageband, and many folks have produced on it.
The Shure SM58 microphone will plug right into the Zoom H4?

And I use the microphones on the Zoom H4 for the guitar and the Shure SM58 for voice?

Headphones?

Stand?

Pop Filter?

Please be patient with me. I really know nothing, but I will learn. I'd like to order everything that I need at one time.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Default Here is what I bought

After reading your comments (thank you), and watching several YouTube videos on the subject, I ordered the following today from Amazon Mexico:

1) Focusrite Scarlett Solo Interfaz de audio USB (3ra generacion) con Pro Tools (I bought the 2i2 model that accommodates two mikes)
2) Samson C01 Micrafono condensador de diafragma grande hipercardioide (inexpensive, but good starter microphone)
3) Hola. Maosica Mic Stand, One Hand Clutch (very good reviews on Amazon)
4) KRK KNS-6400 Audafonos Profesionales para Estudio (head phones)
5) Aokeo - Escudo aislante premium para Micrafono (pop filter)
6) AmazonBasics Cable de micrafono XLR macho a hembra (I bought several cables.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD