The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-12-2020, 02:57 PM

Default Martin style build

Hello. So if you were to choose a luthier or a very small shop to build a Martin style guitar as opposed to using the Martin custom shop, who would you choose and why? The guitar in question would be an m-42 (oooo).
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by Wengr; 06-12-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:02 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Hello. So if you were to choose a luthier or a very small shop to build a Martin style guitar as opposed to using the Martin custom shop, who would you choose and why? The guitar in question would be an m-42 (oooo).
John Slobod aka Circa.
Julius Borges
Jimmy Caldwell
Lynn Dudenbostel
Laurent Brondel

I'm sure I'll think of others
Old 06-15-2020, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I would also suggest John Greven
Old 06-16-2020, 02:25 AM
Charter Member

It's an interesting topic Wengr.

Try this thread too, as a bunch of alternative builders are mentioned, generally by AGFers who own or have played guitars made by them - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=582635
Old 06-16-2020, 03:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Based on the Martin-style guitars I've actually played, Ralph Bown would be my first port of call, followed by John Slobod (Circa).

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

California luthier Bruce Sexauer.

Bruce has over 50 years at the bench, he builds in a number of styles including that of Nazareth (he has built > 60 guitars for Eruc Schoenberg). Bruce builds guitars that are open sounding and feel alive. He can make them wet or dry sounding based on your goals. He has built many style 42 and 45 guitars and does his own inlay work (not contracted out to a CNC shop).

Another reason that I recommended Bruce is that he builds guitars without the need of molds (in the air) and a 1970s Martin design like an M (0000) will not be available because most luthiers who build in the Martin style focus on vintage sizes (0, 00, 000, OM and D). He has no set models but is a custom builder. Bruce builds guitars one-at-a-time vs. in batches if that matters to you. He also has a killer wood locker of seasoned, quartersawn woods.

Here is a Brazilian Rosewood/German Spruce, Style 42 single 0 with a birds beak headstock bridle joint that he built for me a few years back. Everyone who has every touched thinks it is one of the best they have ever played.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 06-16-2020 at 05:33 AM. Reason: missing words
Old 06-16-2020, 01:56 PM

John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars. You can’t get closer to Martin than him IMO.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:08 AM

Hey, Wengr--I know all the builders mentioned thus far will build you an incredible guitar, for sure, but if you're on a bit of a tighter budget, I would recommend a luthier named Pat Foster in Spokane, Washington. Several years ago Pat built me a couple of OOOO-style guitars in the Martin tradition, which seems to be exactly what you're after. These guitars are amazing instruments, big, bold, dynamic, powerful. The general level of craftsmanship and fit and finish are perfect. Pat uses a brushed varnish finish, which gives the guitars a kind of old-world vibe. He's was a great luthier to work with, too. I think if you check out his website (patfosterguitars.com) there still may be a thread on the making of these guitars, but if not, I'm sure if you contact Pat he will send you the files. He documents his builds extensively. He included with the guitars a c.d. disc with all the build photos, so there's always that. Best, Jack
Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 AM

I agree. My Sexauer OM is the best guitar I have ever played as far as tone is concerned. Built light as well coming in at 3lb 11 oz. Bruce is also an all around great dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
California luthier Bruce Sexauer.

Bruce has over 50 years at the bench, he builds in a number of styles including that of Nazareth (he has built > 60 guitars for Eruc Schoenberg). Bruce builds guitars that are open sounding and feel alive. He can make them wet or dry sounding based on your goals. He has built many style 42 and 45 guitars and does his own inlay work (not contracted out to a CNC shop).

Another reason that I recommended Bruce is that he builds guitars without the need of molds (in the air) and a 1970s Martin design like an M (0000) will not be available because most luthiers who build in the Martin style focus on vintage sizes (0, 00, 000, OM and D). He has no set models but is a custom builder. Bruce builds guitars one-at-a-time vs. in batches if that matters to you. He also has a killer wood locker of seasoned, quartersawn woods.

Here is a Brazilian Rosewood/German Spruce, Style 42 single 0 with a birds beak headstock bridle joint that he built for me a few years back. Everyone who has every touched thinks it is one of the best they have ever played.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I agree with everyone here, but most are big names and big budget. Julius Borges is retired and does not offer a 16” 0000. I’d highly recommend all in my signature, and yes, my Sexauer could compete with any guitar on the planet. Laurent Brondel is my favorite luthier that I do not own, maybe someday.

Anyway if your budget or timeframe doesn’t work for some of the guys with long lists don’t be put off by a used SCGC OMG or Bourgeois JOM.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Ken Hooper.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Many are quick to assume top level luthiers all have long build queues. While I have never quite run out of work, I have not had more than six months of work for years.

Currently, my next order could be 3 months out IF the customer knows exactly what they want. Most do not. A large part of the service I offer is taking the time to use the inter-personal skills I've developed in combination with my understanding of acoustic guitars to actually create the RIGHT guitar for my customer.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Kim Walker would be my choice. Alas, when several years ago his wait list reached 9 years, he stopped taking orders.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

There will be budget issues.

T.J. Thompson.

HE
Old 06-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Many are quick to assume top level luthiers all have long build queues. While I have never quite run out of work, I have not had more than six months of work for years.

Currently, my next order could be 3 months out IF the customer knows exactly what they want. Most do not. A large part of the service I offer is taking the time to use the inter-personal skills I've developed in combination with my understanding of acoustic guitars to actually create the RIGHT guitar for my customer.
This is a very short wait for a guitar built by one of the best builders working today. I don't see how you could go wrong with Bruce.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop