The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-08-2020, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

Default Neck Reset?

So, the neck is strait, relief is good, action is perfect...aprox 3/32 at 12th fret, saddle still has room for adjustments, however.....upon putting a strait-edge across the fretboard, it hits the bridge a tad under 1/16 from the top. In other words, it does not rest on the top of the bridge and lands just below it..1/16 inches. The guitar is a co-workers and is aprox 6 years old. No soundhole sinking/issues as the top is solid. Thoughts??? Are there particular brands that have this situation?? I say all is good but want some opinions...I truly do not understand the complexities of neck angles and what would warrant a neck reset.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Whether that almost 1/16" was built in, or has happened during the 6 years, is hard to know. Your measurements say the action is OK and there is room to decrease it if you want to. How long will it stay as is and play well? Who can say?

If you post the name and model of the guitar, some of the more experienced hands here may be able to share their knowledge and predictions.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 AM

It doesn't sound like a problem to me. What is the action on the high e-string over the 12th fret? Low action there would be 1/16th. If people want low action I set up 3/32 -> 1/16th.

And how much saddle is protruding?

IF everything you stated is true then it's not a problem.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like no problem - what you should add is the height of the bridge, and the string height above the top -
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 PM

I'm assuming you have the guitar tuned to pitch. Putting a straightedge on the frets is completely unnecessary if you can tune the guitar to pitch, and can be misleading. If the height of the strings above the top is good, the saddle protrusion is good, and the action is good, the neck is fine.

Luthiers use the straightedge when setting or resetting the neck, without string tension. String tension changes where the straightedge hits the bridge, and you can't use the rule of thumb of the edge just touching the top of the bridge.
et al
Old 07-17-2020, 05:23 PM

Roger, that's a good point. And makes it easier to check a potential purchase.

I'm curious, would putting a straight edge on the high frets only (say frets 10-14) with the guitar under tension the same as no tension?

I understand there could be fall-away on the frets over the body so not a good idea to use those.

But over the butt of the neck (frets 10-14) there should be no fallout and no truss rod effect.

The only thing remaining is the bending of the entire neck due to tension but I would think any neck bend over those 4 frets over the butt would be negligible.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:59 AM

You are ignoring the rising of the top under tension. This can be a substantial component of the movement.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:34 PM

Ahhh! I can see that being significant. Thanks for that.

Do luthiers account for that when putting on a neck?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 07-18-2020, 04:51 PM

Successful ones do. On new guitars, I set the neck so that the straightedge is about 0.035" above the top of the bridge, with no tension. That is with the straightedge on top of the frets, and a straight neck.
On resets (1400+ over the last 36 years), I compensate for the movement by taking action and saddle measurements before loosening the strings. With the strings loosened, I then take the straightedge measurement. The desired amount of action and saddle change are added to this unstrung straightedge measurement, which is my target. The target may or may not be right at the top of the bridge. That is why I always say that the straightedge measurement is not an absolute. It can (and often does) vary from one guitar to another.
Dovetail neck angles can be checked before gluing the neck in, since a well fitted dovetail joint will hold string tension without glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair