The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Default Not hearing the two top strings when recording?

I have a small Youtube channel where I post myself playing either the piano or guitar but always used the sound from the camcorder but thought it would sound much better if I could record my guitar straight to my pc.

I have 2 guitars my main one is my Epiphone EJ-200SCE Vintage Sunburst and my back up is my Yamaha CSF3M - Vintage Natural. So I bought myself a Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen audio interface and leads.

But when I recorded my Epiphone I noticed I couldn't hear the top 2 strings especially the top E. I contacted the store that sold me the guitar and they said it might be a problem with the pickup but I should test it out on an amp. So I found a neighbour who has an amp and the Epiphone sound great on it and I could clearly hear all strings when played.

So I then tested out it out by plucking each string from the bottom E to the top E and as you can see from the screenshot the top 2 stings and hardly registering.

So I then did the exact same test with my Yamaha CSF3M and the results as you can see from the image below each string can be clearly heard.

This is really confusing me as I said the Epiphone sounded great when played through the amp so why is it unlike the Yamaha causing this issue of not hearing the top strings?

Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Different pickup systems, I assume, so maybe you could post audio recordings made of the amp output (both guitars) as well as the INST (I assume) input on the Focusrite.

Pure speculation but, assuming you used the same cable for both recordings, it sure seems like the pickup is misbehaving, though (way out on a limb) they could be reacting differently to different impedance presented by the interface vs. amp inputs.
Old 07-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Your screen shot of the recorded waveform is telling you the truthful story. There's some aspect of the pickup itself that isn't providing the same level for 2 of the strings. If your guitar has a built-in preamp then it can be a result of the electronics, and if it's a simple passive system it's probably how the element is mounted.

(Looks like your Epi is fitted with the Fishman Sonotone, an under-saddle cable transducer. I'm betting it isn't seated properly under the saddle...)

Most amps color the sound of what is being amplified, and I's speculate that the amp is favoring the two highest strings. That can also happen if the tone controls weren't set flat.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-11-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:45 PM

Thnx for the replies after speaking to a member of staff at the store I'm taking my guitar in tomorrow to get the pre amp fixed.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:30 AM

Have you tried to EQ the track with a plug-in? It may be that simple.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD