The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2020, 12:03 PM

I placed an on-line order for a half-dozen hex core PB sets yesterday. Will report back later....
Old 07-16-2020, 01:04 PM

Well maybe I can take credit for the referral as I’ve been recommending their strings to all who will listen! and started a thread a while ago recommending www.mapeswire.com.
To repeat myself I am recently retired after 40 years in the piano business as concert piano tech. and restorer primarily of Golden Age Steinway and Mason & Hamlin pianos and for all that time I exclusively used Mapes plain wire and copper wrapped bass strings on all these pianos they are great folks to work with.
So in my retirement I turned to them for my guitar strings and was immediately impressed by the tonal balance , I’m thrilled that guitar players much more proficient than I are enjoying the quality of their work.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch101 View Post
Well maybe I can take credit for the referral as I’ve been recommending their strings to all who will listen! and started a thread a while ago recommending www.mapeswire.com.
To repeat myself I am recently retired after 40 years in the piano business as concert piano tech. and restorer primarily of Golden Age Steinway and Mason & Hamlin pianos and for all that time I exclusively used Mapes plain wire and copper wrapped bass strings on all these pianos they are great folks to work with.
So in my retirement I turned to them for my guitar strings and was immediately impressed by the tonal balance , I’m thrilled that guitar players much more proficient than I are enjoying the quality of their work.
My mom had a 1933 Mason and Hamlin parlor grand. Mapes was her brand. She swore they were the best. Put some on my Guild D40 trad yesterday. Lovin the noise they make today. Piano like tones????LOL
Old 07-17-2020, 12:38 PM

Jury’s still out for me. Just strung up a set of octacores ... g string immediately broke when tuning to pitch. Luckily I had two sets. Called Mapes and they claimed they’re sending me out a new set but I’m not sure how since the guy was completely uninterested in taking my name, address or phone number ... got the feeling I was just getting blown off. Soundwise, they’re a bit shrill for my taste but I’ll see how they settle in. Right now I’m not inclined to re-order.

Last edited by 89bruin; 07-17-2020 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-14-2020, 02:00 PM

Talked to the local piano mechanic. He claims Mapes has been insanely bad for 2 years now. They dont ship for weeks. They have no stock. They dont send tracking anymore. You get the run around when you call. They dump you on an extension at the factory who then tells you to call back. He no longer buys from them. He claims my experience is the normal for them. I have to say, if my second order goes like the first I will never buy from them again covid or not. The absolute worst buying experience online I have ever had. The absolute worst sales support I have ever experienced. When they tell you "We can hold your money for 30 days" as a justification you know you are dealing with a real pos.

Last edited by JERZEY; 08-27-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: new information
Old 08-14-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

I ordered four sets of Octacore PB Lights on 25/7, and they emailed me to say they’d been shipped on 10/8. I put the delay down to Covid-19, which is perfectly understandable - businesses have been hit hard by this pandemic, and I’m very happy to make allowances, we live in very strange and difficult times and I believe it’s unreasonable to expect businesses to carry on as though everything is ‘normal’.

As I’m in England, I’m expecting at least a two-week wait while they’re in transit, but I’m looking forward to trying them on my Brook ‘Lamorna’.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 PM

I received my order a couple of weeks ago, but everything had fresh strings on it. They are in a holding pattern.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
Mapes is in a very bad area for covid. Im waiting 7 days and nothing has shipped. My neighbor is on day 14. They have been all screwed up sense mid July over there.

Best wishes to the Mapes team!
Funny, I work in the same town the Mapes plant is in, and I wouldn’t call it a very bad area for COVID at all.
600 cases in the county, not like 24,000 in Nashville.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:05 AM

I ordered 6 more sets. 3 orders total. Took 4 weeks on average. Never got tracking once. Got bounced around on the phone every time. This company is clearly run by a bunch of momo's. They have no business doing online retail.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all for supporting our local East Tennessee economy!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion