The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage sale items are generally purchased and owned by the seller. What they ask is the price. This has come up many times - you can do a search in the archives.

There are many variables and the one above where we seem to be waiting for the husband to rescue the unknowing wife is, well, condescending and rude to me. My wife (like most I believe) is smarter and more capable than me and I'm pretty capable.

Unless the person running the garage sale seems feeble, very aged or otherwise impaired, they have access to the internet to research the items they are selling. As a couple of people have stated, most garage sales are where people want things gone, quickly and NOW. People running estate sales (where things tend to be more valuable) know exactly what they're doing.

Since I don't shop at garage sales this isn't an issue for me but, if I did, and the person was (as I stated) feeble, aged (so old they may not be familiar with computers) or impaired I would ask a couple of questions to make sure they knew what they were selling. If they did, and I wanted the item, I would purchase it. Everyone needs to be responsible for their own behavior.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Well, there's either a man in the mirror or there isn't.

Yup, this. If you can "steal" and get away with it and still feel good, no point asking this question.

Personally,I believe in karma.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM

The following example is true. My brother called me 40 years ago and asked if I had $3,000 cash around that he could borrow for a short time. He had read a newspaper ad which listed a one-year-old Mercedes for sale for "first come" $3,000 cash, must sell today. I did and he bought the car which booked around $30,000.

When he got there the woman told him that she had had a lot of interest. He asked why she was selling the car, which she was very familiar with, for such a low amount. She said her husband who had left with the secretary had called her asking her to sell his car and personal items, and send him the money. She did. Take good fortune where you find it.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Amy Grant's father had a saying, based upon his beliefs: "A good deal is only a good deal if it is a good deal for everyone involved." To see how that works out in her life, watch the movie, "I Can Only Imagine." They portray her relationship with an unknown artist (the subject of the movie) who offers her a song he wrote.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Only really came up once. When I was working in a museum during the pre-internet days an older lady came by wanting to donate a guitar - a pre-War Martin D28. We declined telling her such an object did not fit into out scope of collection. As we were walking out she turned to me and asked if I would be interesting in purchasing the instrument. Just for grins I asked her how much and her price was about what a used recent Martin would run me. I told her the guitar was worth a whole lot more than she was asking and gave her a few names of folks to talk to. She returned about two weeks later thanked me and brought me some homemade cookies.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 07-15-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Religious reference removed.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The replies tell one all there is to know about the repliers.
Not really. Ever heard of cognitive dissonance? Our actions, our beliefs and our stated intentions are not always consistent.

If you have ever told a lie and felt uncomfortable about it because you see yourself as scrupulously honest, then you have likely experienced cognitive dissonance. It occurs when one's ideas, beliefs, or behaviors are contradictory—when a person learns new information that challenges a deeply held belief, for example, or acts in a way that seems to undercut her self-image. The theory of cognitive dissonance helps explain the lengths to which people sometimes go to account for thoughts, words, and behaviors that seem to clash...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-13-2019, 05:43 PM

I don't think it's a matter of ethics, but conscience.

To accept an offer that is what you perceive to be below market value isn't unethical. If someone makes an offer like that I wouldn't hesitate to accept it, but perhaps I would consider the transaction and my conscience might have me returning later with more money. It's hard to say hypothetically.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-13-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
There are many variables and the one above where we seem to be waiting for the husband to rescue the unknowing wife is, well, condescending and rude to me. My wife (like most I believe) is smarter and more capable than me and I'm pretty capable.
Agreed. Surprised this stereotype wasn’t met with the same kind of skepticism as comments in a recent thread about a certain female guitar player.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
My wife (like most I believe) is smarter and more capable than me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Agreed. Surprised this stereotype wasn’t met with the same kind of skepticism as comments in a recent thread about a certain female guitar player.
Which stereotype would that be, now?
The stereotype that men are smarter than women?
Or the stereotype that women are smarter than men?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Just read what's below...says it all!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I think that there are a lot of people who would say that they would tell the seller it was priced too low but would, in fact, pay the cheap price and leave with it.
Cynical... but he may be right. When I read the original question (as I have others that are similar), my gut feeling is always that a lot more folks would take the deal/steal than actually say it here. I haven't counted, but maybe 2/3 of those who reply take the high road. If that is really accurate, it speaks well for people here.

I've never had to make a choice like this. Well....maybe once, when I bought a property at auction that was worth more than double what I paid. But that was an auction, anyone could have bid - and I was delighted with my purchase. There doesn't seem to be an ethics dilemma on eBay purchases.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

I was an indirect victim of such a circumstance.

When I was away at college my mother sold the piano I learned on as a youngster.
So, I wasn't a really dedicated player, but the piano was bought for me and I grew up attached it it.

It was a very unique model made by Baldwin of Canada.
My parents had 60s Danish furniture all in solid teak. The piano was also finished in that wood-a very rare combination.Beautiful and a full-size 52 key upright.

Months after the sale mother confessed that she sold my piano....

When the first buyer came to look at it he asked for the price.Mother quoted $600(the price of her new carpets).

He accepted and immediately called a friend who had a truck available to haul the instrument away.It took literally 20 minutes and the piano was gone!

Obviously the guy knew the true value of the instrument.

I would never do the same to another.....
Old 07-13-2019, 08:17 PM

I'm troubled by just how vague this post is. The second scenario doesn't make a bit of sense.

My garage sale scores:

Could've paid as low as $20 for a (when running) $400 Gold Series 2-stroke self-propelled, electric start Lawnboy that was marked at $30. They said, "it ran last year. We put fresh gas in it, but couldn't get it running. If you want it, we'll take $20." I installed a new primer and it runs like a champ. Dead battery, so no electric start.

Got a Vito saxophone (in playable condition) worth $250+ for $40. I had about $60 in repairs at the music store plus new reeds and it was not a bad sax. I flipped it. Sold it for $200.

I feel bad about neither of the above as the items were not in good working order.

So with the extremely vague nature of the original post, I cannot offer any more opinion on the matter.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
When you have to ask others’ opinion on ethics, it usually means you know where the border stands and you are just looking for consensus to cross it.
Your question is the answer.
How very astute of you.
I have to say I am saddened by a few of the responses. Sadly, it certainly exemplifies how things are today in some sense.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 07-13-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:35 PM

In the last 20 years, an elderly couple brought an OM 45 into a music store in the Midwest. It belonged to the deceased brother of the man. They were offered 30k and gladly took it. It was sold for substantially more.

Ethically dubious.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic