The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Well, let's say I "sell" a guitar on AGF and am awaiting payment. Two hours later someone on Reverb or eBay buys the guitar. Now I have two people who bought the guitar, in good faith and I have to take it away from one of them.
Well that situation is bound to arise if you advertise on multiple platforms simultaneously. The solution is very simple: don't do that.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM

I pulled a listing on a verbal promise once, and yea same thing, they went into the wind.

I will never do it again.

I know you're trying to be a "right guy" and all.. but a real buyer in this market knows how the game is played. money talks.. that's the way it always has been always will be.

be nice to your family coworkers and friends,, other than that, look out for yourself, no one else is gonna.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Well, let's say I "sell" a guitar on AGF and am awaiting payment. Two hours later someone on Reverb or eBay buys the guitar. Now I have two people who bought the guitar, in good faith and I have to take it away from one of them.
While understanding you are trying to act in "good faith". Seems the current incidents should indicate that perhaps you might reexamine your interpretation of the word "sell" or more specifically "sold" because awaiting payment is not sold.
Right now going through the process of our (my wife and I) 34 th. real estate transaction. Nothing is actually "sold" until all the money is in your bank account. And if it makes you feel better, if you accept an offer, you might disclose that until it is paid for in full (money in your account) you will accept other backup offers. Then the onus is on them to expedite payment, not on you to wait for them and potentially lose a sale.
As much as this is a great forum it is still john Q public .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Sorry mate. I agree with those who have said nothing is ever sold, NEVER, until the money has cleared my account or I have the cash in my hands. I frequently give things away on Nextdoor or Craigslist. Even those are listed as free to the first person to pick it up. I tell them to call me when they’re on the way and I’ll pull it down for ten minutes to allow them to get to me. Don’t call until the wife has given you permission to buy it. I believe you should have the listing open and be ready to pay when you start your negotiation.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 07-11-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It should only take minutes, not hours, for an AGF member to pay you using PayPal. If you're still awaiting payment after several hours, then I'd say the guitar goes to the Reverb/Ebay buyer....

This^^… I've bought a few things here and other guitar forums, and when I tell a seller "I'll take it", I'm on PayPal sending his money in a matter of minutes...

It seems to me the only courteous and responsible way to close the deal...

If I'd snooze and lose, I've got no right to gripe...
Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

A seller has control over the course of a sale when encountering a "flaky" buyer. If a seller chooses to lose legitimate sale possibilities based on the words or promises of a "flaky" buyer without payment, that's on the seller...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-11-2019 at 07:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic